Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266461 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1980 on: April 07, 2011, 03:04:36 pm »

I cannot because my system does not runs Dosbox very well

Hm, how convenient.

Also, why should I be the one to play it?

Because you're in the minority here, for one thing. And I'm certainly not going to be baited into installing the damn thing and running through the intro dungeon several times just to prove you wrong.

They were randomly generated in the sense that it used a random number generator to build all dungeons and towns, but they were static in the sense that each town and dungeon always used the same random seed thus it looked exactly the same every time you played, and quite likely there were some variables set by hand (like "this town has a wall = true", or "this town has a castle in the northeast corner = true"). This is what is called "procedural".

Yep, that's pretty much spot on. The town with the long main street was actually Daggerfall, IIRC, ie. the most important location in the game. So it stands to reason more of it was designed by hand.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: April 07, 2011, 03:08:56 pm »

They were randomly generated in the sense that it used a random number generator to build all dungeons and towns, but they were static in the sense that each town and dungeon always used the same random seed thus it looked exactly the same every time you played, and quite likely there were some variables set by hand (like "this town has a wall = true", or "this town has a castle in the northeast corner = true"). This is what is called "procedural".

Yep, that's pretty much spot on. The town with the long main street was actually Daggerfall, IIRC, ie. the most important location in the game. So it stands to reason more of it was designed by hand.

I'm sure that at the very least they tested and tweaked the city seed and parameters until they were happy with the results.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: April 08, 2011, 11:35:37 am »

Also, why should I be the one to play it?

Cause despite it's age, Daggerfall is still really fun. Everyone should play it :)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: April 08, 2011, 03:42:39 pm »

I played it until I got frustrated with main-quest-breaking bugs, bugs that broke non-main-quest quests, and ridiculously huge insane dungeons where you had to wander around aimlessly to find MacGuffins for hours with time limits on your quests, never gaining any skill in magic, and so on. In short, the annoyance factor got too large.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1984 on: April 08, 2011, 03:49:46 pm »

I played it until I got killed by a bat in the first dungeon in like two hits.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: April 08, 2011, 04:04:34 pm »

Yeah the dungeons were insane. I even got lost in the beginner dungeon when I started.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: April 08, 2011, 07:49:28 pm »

Yeah. They were insanely huge, the map was total crap, and everything looked fucking identical to everything else. I did love the size. I think the smaller dungeons in Morrowind and Oblivion don't really give you the same sense of delving into ancient tunnels deep beneath the earth. Long-forgotten ancient vaults guarded by eldritch abominations and filled with unimaginable riches sort of lie twenty meters from the entrance door. But everything else about the DF dungeons was terrible.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: April 08, 2011, 07:52:59 pm »

Well the largest problem with Oblivion was the heavy dose of "Rince and repeat" to the extent that later on you honestly felt like you were grinding the exact same locations.

I've entered Elven Temples and sometimes even I thought I was in an earlier dungeon.

Unfortunately this applies to even story missions.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: April 08, 2011, 11:00:01 pm »

It doesn't help that there were only a finite number of Oblivion plane dungeons- far less than there were portals, so you often ended going through identical dungeons.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: April 08, 2011, 11:07:50 pm »

It doesn't help that there were only a finite number of Oblivion plane dungeons- far less than there were portals, so you often ended going through identical dungeons.

It especially doesn't help that the Oblivion plane dungeons were HUGE set peices.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: April 09, 2011, 10:50:58 pm »

I miss levitation. That was a great spell, too bad it doesn't seem like its coming back in skyrim...
Ah flight; one of the greatest things in so many videos games, and greater in real life. It's seems to be a habit of development teams to put it in early games because it's so cool, then take it away in later versions because of sheer sloth it conflicts with other things they want to do.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: April 18, 2011, 10:59:12 am »

Some new stuff(?) on levelling and skills in Skyrim on RPS.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: April 18, 2011, 11:09:51 am »

That Khajit looks half decent too! Oblivion khajit were just... bleh.

AH GOD NO STARSIGNS TO PICK??!!

RAEG.

Oblivion you have 8 attributes and 21 skills. Now it’s 18 skills and 3 attributes.

3!!! What the friaggagfhf2#&#@*!!!  Let me guess, Strength, Intelligence, Agility. Or Fighter, Mage, Thief.  You hear that? That is the sound of my optimism dying.

Edit: Wrong, but I was close. "The attributes, meanwhile, are distilled to Health, Magicka and Stamina"

They've got a load of screenies I haven't seen, more here too.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/18/20-best-things-about-skyrim/#comment-670001
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:14:23 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: April 18, 2011, 11:11:55 am »

Some new stuff(?) on levelling and skills in Skyrim on RPS.

I am starting to wonder if the Skyrim development team played Oblivion...

Also I am starting to sort of dislike the perk system in certain ways. I liked that skills at certain levels got you perks and while I am not against earning additional perks that require your skill level to be at a certain level.

What frustrates me is that they sort of, judging by what they are saying, are trying to get you to use your specific skills more and more without touching the other skills or else you run out of useful perks.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: April 18, 2011, 11:20:59 am »

That Khajit looks half decent too! Oblivion khajit were just... bleh.

AH GOD NO STARSIGNS TO PICK??!!

RAEG.

Oblivion you have 8 attributes and 21 skills. Now it’s 18 skills and 3 attributes.

3!!! What the friaggagfhf2#&#@*!!!  Let me guess, Strength, Intelligence, Agility. Or Fighter, Mage, Thief.  You hear that? That is the sound of my optimism dying.

Edit: Wrong, but I was close. "The attributes, meanwhile, are distilled to Health, Magicka and Stamina"

They've got a load of screenies I haven't seen, more here too.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/18/20-best-things-about-skyrim/#comment-670001
I actually liked a bit the attribute change, because this seems to mean we will not have to grind half a dozen non related skills to get the best of each level up, so if I want to play a pure mage, it'll not make my stats suck.

Now, the dynamic world leveling, I hope we don't get glass wield level 30 random bandits.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 201