Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266468 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1995 on: April 18, 2011, 11:27:34 am »

3!!! What the friaggagfhf2#&#@*!!!  Let me guess, Strength, Intelligence, Agility. Or Fighter, Mage, Thief.  You hear that? That is the sound of my optimism dying.

Edit: Wrong, but I was close. "The attributes, meanwhile, are distilled to Health, Magicka and Stamina"
Meh. Leveling by using is good but Morrowind & Oblivion system sucked so I can't imagine it being any worse

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: April 18, 2011, 11:37:55 am »

I actually liked a bit the attribute change, because this seems to mean we will not have to grind half a dozen non related skills to get the best of each level up, so if I want to play a pure mage, it'll not make my stats suck.

Now, the dynamic world leveling, I hope we don't get glass wield level 30 random bandits.

Read about a zillion other reviews in ten minutes, my traitorous optimism has recharged fully, damn it.

"Unlike Oblivion, the enemies and encounters won't level alongside the player. I think most of us who played Oblivion remember what it was like to hit a hard fight and leave to level up, only to come back and find out that the fight had become even harder in the meantime. In Skyrim difficultly levels are locked in place once you visit an area, so you'll have a chance to go out and get stronger before coming back and facing a challenge that's been getting the best of you"
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: April 18, 2011, 11:55:14 am »

Not that scaling really matters. There are no attributes.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: April 18, 2011, 12:13:16 pm »

I actually liked a bit the attribute change, because this seems to mean we will not have to grind half a dozen non related skills to get the best of each level up, so if I want to play a pure mage, it'll not make my stats suck.

Now, the dynamic world leveling, I hope we don't get glass wield level 30 random bandits.

Read about a zillion other reviews in ten minutes, my traitorous optimism has recharged fully, damn it.

"Unlike Oblivion, the enemies and encounters won't level alongside the player. I think most of us who played Oblivion remember what it was like to hit a hard fight and leave to level up, only to come back and find out that the fight had become even harder in the meantime. In Skyrim difficultly levels are locked in place once you visit an area, so you'll have a chance to go out and get stronger before coming back and facing a challenge that's been getting the best of you"

That's pretty awesome. I hope there are areas with minimum levels though, because if there aren't, a player who decides to expends the lower levels exploring around will lock everything at a low level.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: April 18, 2011, 12:17:32 pm »

Likely the reason you need levels is so enemies don't kill you too quickly.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: April 18, 2011, 12:30:39 pm »

Oh my god they took away my numbers! How will I ever get enjoyment from this game if I don't see the numbers rising to represent my mastery over the game?

I actually like the idea of never actually having your abilities tied to a numeric stat, instead having a number of perks(Which would be better called skills, but we already have skills which I assume have numeric values) which would give you enhancements beyond scaling the strength of your skills up. They'll have to be very careful when handling the perks, but to level up and have a choice of a number of colorful things I could do instead of raising some numbers so other numbers are higher sounds great.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: April 18, 2011, 12:41:48 pm »

-snip-
So... instead of raising a number by X points, you pick something called something, with some description, that raises the same numbers?
Its a program, everything is about numbers. The perk thing or what it would be called is just a less flexible way to put points in a stat.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: April 18, 2011, 12:49:39 pm »

I bet people are going batshit over at the Bethesda forums, but I suppose that's nothing new.

Personally, I don't really mind the changes. Attributes were kind of redundant seeing as they mostly just modified skill ratings in some way. I'd like to see skills fleshed out more, but the perk system sounds like it's doing that.

Hated the leveling system in the previous games, I usually just used console commands to get to level 80 and modified my attributes and skill levels so as not to be gimped, then I'd go have fun doing other stuff.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: April 18, 2011, 12:56:43 pm »

-snip-
So... instead of raising a number by X points, you pick something called something, with some description, that raises the same numbers?
Its a program, everything is about numbers. The perk thing or what it would be called is just a less flexible way to put points in a stat.
Except actually giving perks like Bethesda said in their interviews. Make your maces ignore armor, give yourself a sidestep ability, see the alert state of your foes, all sorts of fun things. I'm sure there would be ones that boost things traditionally dictated by stat numbers but there would be a good number of options to give you new abilities and powers.

Although I must curb my enthusiasm 'till I understand how leveling decides what type of perks you can get and how the game decides what you should be better at.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: April 18, 2011, 01:56:01 pm »

Holy s***.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned the most stunning new feature revelation in those screenshots.

Skyrim's going to have Irish Wolfhounds.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #2005 on: April 18, 2011, 08:29:57 pm »

I bet people are going batshit over at the Bethesda forums, but I suppose that's nothing new.

Personally, I don't really mind the changes. Attributes were kind of redundant seeing as they mostly just modified skill ratings in some way. I'd like to see skills fleshed out more, but the perk system sounds like it's doing that.

Hated the leveling system in the previous games, I usually just used console commands to get to level 80 and modified my attributes and skill levels so as not to be gimped, then I'd go have fun doing other stuff.

OH YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.  God lots of peeps crying over loss of attributes.  I'm not though, less metagaming more just playing the game.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: April 18, 2011, 09:06:17 pm »

Oh my god they took away my numbers! How will I ever get enjoyment from this game if I don't see the numbers rising to represent my mastery over the game?

I actually like the idea of never actually having your abilities tied to a numeric stat, instead having a number of perks(Which would be better called skills, but we already have skills which I assume have numeric values) which would give you enhancements beyond scaling the strength of your skills up. They'll have to be very careful when handling the perks, but to level up and have a choice of a number of colorful things I could do instead of raising some numbers so other numbers are higher sounds great.

Actually what I meant was. The ONLY thing a level does for you is give you health.

You don't actually get stronger with levels thus making them sort of arbitrary.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: April 19, 2011, 04:23:06 am »

Actually what I meant was. The ONLY thing a level does for you is give you health.

You don't actually get stronger with levels thus making them sort of arbitrary.

Have you even leveled up once?
The game specifically asks you to put modifiers on stats with bonus being given by the amount of skills you leveled up related to that stat.
And levels gives you magic and stamina points too.
Not to mention that the only way to increase the stuff you can carry was to increase your strength. I wonder how Bethesda managed to overcome that?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: April 19, 2011, 04:30:50 am »

This is good, but the removal of acrobatics and athletics is outrageous. It's not The Elder Scrolls if you can't be an acro-mancer, capable of jumping insane distances through sheer practice.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: April 19, 2011, 05:52:30 am »

This is good, but the removal of acrobatics and athletics is outrageous. It's not The Elder Scrolls if you can't be an acro-mancer, capable of jumping insane distances through sheer practice.
Maybe. But they were skills everyone trained, because not being able to run and jump sucks. They probably would just assume everyone have it, and not make people need to grind running. There might, of course, be perks that allow jumping farther and running faster.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 201