Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265797 times)

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1110 on: February 01, 2011, 04:04:40 pm »

That death star is on its side.
[/post]

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 01, 2011, 04:09:45 pm »

I had that mod, once...
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: February 01, 2011, 04:11:11 pm »

That death star is on its side.

No it's not. It's the Death Star, the only side it has is the Dark Side. And that's on the top. My logic > your logic.  :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 01, 2011, 04:11:49 pm »

As I thought, Shadowlord doesn't even know that Oblivion actually has one. You perform a dodge (well, a roll) by simultaneously holding block, moving in a direction, and pressing jump. Rolling to the side sounds very useful when you see an enemy start preparing a power attack, for example. The problem is that your character doesn't actually roll simply sideways, he rolls in a sort of quarter-circle forwards. The idea obviously was to help you keep the enemy in front of you and keep you within striking distance, which again sounds very useful. But the whole thing is completely broken by the fact that the enemies are programmed to always keep you in their crosshair, so when you roll around the enemy to avoid his attack he just turns to face you as you roll and hits you anyway. It would've been eminently useful against both melee and ranged opponents if the enemy lost 'target lock' for the duration of the dodge, but alas, Bethsoft were too lazy. Again.

No, I was quite aware of it. It was just (a) overly difficult to perform (hold three keys (or one mouse button and two keys) at once to dodge? Brilliant </sarcasm>), (b) mostly useless, as you just pointed out, and (b) not even available until you reached 50 acrobatics.

There are other games where rolling is actually useful for dodging, however, such as Star Wars: Battlefront.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: February 01, 2011, 04:14:38 pm »

Oh, this reminds me; I played a game once where the only dodge was a roll forwards... Yes... Directly into your enemy.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: February 01, 2011, 04:19:13 pm »

No, I was quite aware of it. It was just (a) overly difficult to perform (hold three keys (or one mouse button and two keys) at once to dodge? Brilliant </sarcasm>), (b) mostly useless, as you just pointed out, and (b) not even available until you reached 50 acrobatics.

There are other games where rolling is actually useful for dodging, however, such as Star Wars: Battlefront.

Actually, I pointed out its uselessness a while back.

Dodging in Oblivion is completely pointless and does nothing.

Nonsense. You just don't know how to do it properly.

See? You argued otherwise and when asked for details started blabbering about running. You did not know about the dodging system. If you did, you wouldn't have done that. You wouldn't have argued in the first place, you'd have agreed just like you agree now. *sigh* God, I just don't understand people who can't admit that they were wrong, even on a sodding online forum surrounded by complete strangers they've never met...
Protip: It's a forum. People can check what you said by simply scrolling up. Just say that you were wrong or that you changed your mind or that you misunderstood the initial post or whatever, don't backpedal and contradict yourself. It's just pathetic.
Also, I don't care that you think I'm an ass for posting this, so you needn't bother wasting a post saying it. I think you're an ass for backpedalling, so we're even.

Anyway! Back to the game. I actually kinda like the DS mod (yes, I had to download and install it to get that screenshot, as the ones that are on tesnexus are total crap and you can't see anything in them). I think I'll keep it for a while, until the novelty wears off.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:25:54 pm by Sordid »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: February 01, 2011, 04:38:50 pm »

The dodging controls for Oblivion worked MUCH better on the console.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #1117 on: February 01, 2011, 04:47:34 pm »

this forum is a pretty good place usually, except for this thread and threads like it, which are utter crap.
I got nothing

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 01, 2011, 04:49:27 pm »

I should imagine. I tried playing it with a controller, but in generic gamepad mode Oblivion doesn't see it at all and in 360 controller mode it sees that there's a gamepad but still won't register any button presses or stick movement. So I'm stuck with my keyboard. Which is an IBM Model M, classic slab of clicky goodness. Oh joy, how I love playing games on it. *clicclickCLICKclickCLICKclicclickCLICKclick*

this forum is a pretty good place usually, except for this thread and threads like it, which are utter crap.

I never even implied otherwise, nor has anyone else as far as I can recall. But if you don't like this thread, don't read it. Nothing could be easier.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 01, 2011, 05:08:05 pm »

What's wrong with it?

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #1120 on: February 01, 2011, 05:10:51 pm »

I should imagine. I tried playing it with a controller, but in generic gamepad mode Oblivion doesn't see it at all and in 360 controller mode it sees that there's a gamepad but still won't register any button presses or stick movement. So I'm stuck with my keyboard. Which is an IBM Model M, classic slab of clicky goodness. Oh joy, how I love playing games on it. *clicclickCLICKclickCLICKclicclickCLICKclick*

I never even implied otherwise, nor has anyone else as far as I can recall. But if you don't like this thread, don't read it. Nothing could be easier.

Of course, of course. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Have fun...what was this thread about? Skyrim?

EDIT:
What's wrong with it?
Besides the fact that we have 75 pages of off-topic speculative blather that is of course not even about the game which was only announced recently and we have almost nothing to go on? Besides the fact that once this game is in fact released this thread is worthless and we will need a new thread to actually talk about that game?

How about make a thread called "Oblivion babble and other random chatter". That would be best I think. Maybe I am cranky...whatevs
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:15:57 pm by ductape »
I got nothing

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 01, 2011, 05:19:39 pm »

God forbid people talk about the development of the series in general when speculating about the new game, right?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 01, 2011, 05:20:13 pm »

I certainly could do without all the stupid arguments between posters, though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 01, 2011, 05:20:59 pm »

Besides the fact that we have 75 pages of off-topic speculative blather that is of course not even about the game which was only announced recently and we have almost nothing to go on? How about make a thread called "Oblivion babble and other random chatter". That would be best I think. Maybe I am cranky...whatevs

A few pages back we basically agreed that since there's no new info at the moment, we'll just let the discussion go wherever. Better to keep it contained to one thread, I'd say.

Besides the fact that once this game is in fact released this thread is worthless and we will need a new thread to actually talk about that game?

Oh gosh, a year from now we're going to need a new thread. That's terrible. We should start preparing for it. Y'know, training. Making a new thread is a momentous occasion, after all.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 01, 2011, 05:34:31 pm »

I certainly could do without all the stupid arguments between posters, though.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 201