Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 44

Author Topic: Legends Viewer 1.13 (v40 Compatible)  (Read 316000 times)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.13.02 (Now Open Source)
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2012, 11:20:01 pm »

Nice, however its a  pain to have to make a copy of a save, extract stuff, etc. To get it to work, plus if you want the legends up to date you have to redo it all again. It would be nice if it just read the save file, though i know this is probobly impossile, it would be nice to get rid of the annoyance of having to do all thos chores, espesialy on slow computors like mine.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:23:15 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 28, 2012, 07:37:13 pm »

is there any way to find demonic fortresses or pinpointing where sites like caves, lairs, labyrinths are on the local map?

also when searching for historical figures can I filter them by settlement? as in I'm searching for all the vampires that are currently settled in a specific civilization, group or site?

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 28, 2012, 07:56:39 pm »

is there any way to find demonic fortresses or pinpointing where sites like caves, lairs, labyrinths are on the local map?

also when searching for historical figures can I filter them by settlement? as in I'm searching for all the vampires that are currently settled in a specific civilization, group or site?

Yeah, click on the sites tab and filter/sort by dark fortress, lair, labyrinth etc...

It will show your results on both the world and local map when you click on a site.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 28, 2012, 09:50:14 pm »

Yeah, click on the sites tab and filter/sort by dark fortress, lair, labyrinth etc...

It will show your results on both the world and local map when you click on a site.
I'm already doing that, my question was about finding demonic fortresses also known as "curious structures", the one with the masterwork adamantine weapon that releases fun stuff from bellow....

and about filtering historic figures by their current settlement...

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 29, 2012, 08:32:48 am »

Demonic fortresses would be some sort of underground site and currently there is no such data exported.

Right now I don't build any list of residents for sites, but it is something that would be doable.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 29, 2012, 04:24:37 pm »

Demonic fortresses would be some sort of underground site and currently there is no such data exported.

Right now I don't build any list of residents for sites, but it is something that would be doable.
Regarding Demonic fortresses... I see now... the viewers's map get to region map only... it shows other sites like labyrinths, camps, etc... because these don't show up on every possible region tile, Demonic fortresses in the other hand are supposed to exist in every single region tile...

Any chance of extending the viewer to the local map?  :D  this way caves, labyrinths, camps could be pinpointed in a way similar to when you use the advanced world generator and enable "show caves on local map", and of course the demonic structures could be added... maybe pinpoint adamantine spires too?

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 29, 2012, 06:37:35 pm »

The coordinates that we get in the data are just coordinates for the world tiles. If we had more precise coordinates I could place the locations of sites on the map better.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 03, 2012, 06:16:52 pm »

A little write up I did on reddit that shares some of the ways I use legends viewer.  I think it will help to post it here as well.
It is an amazing utility!  It helps to unlock the truly intricate nature of the game.  It is as necessary for me to play the game in the same way as some people *need* dwarf therapist to play fortress mode.  Unlike dwarf therapist however, it rarely needs updating when a new version comes out!

I play both adventure mode and fortress mode, I cannot emphasize enough on how much more enjoyable this game can be if you play both.  It really immerses you into how in depth the game truly is! 

I often keep Legends viewer in an open window next to DF and use it as a reference and take advantage of the utility in the following ways:

• I scout out exciting areas visually to explore in adventure mode.  You see, you get an INTERACTIVE map of the entire world.  You can literally click and drag as well as zoom in on the world map, then click on individual sites to get detailed information on the numbers and types of creatures that live in a particular town, lair, or bandit camp.
  • I love to look at kill lists!  It will show you not only your own adventurer's kills, but kills of other creatures and allows you to sort by how many kills they have.  I often sort by kills to find the most powerful creature in the world and either, select the creature in the list and find out where it lives so I can hunt down and kill it, or find out how many kills it has so I can beat the creature's score and become the number one slayer in the world!
  • I find a good civilization to join.  Legends viewer will visually show you the trade between the different sites in the world.  If you pick a civ with a huge amount of trade you can get more and better quality goods to trade.  You can also see with much greater detail what surrounds that particular civ, such as lairs towers and opposing civs and the resources available.   
  • In addition to joining a particular civilization, you can then go into adventure mode and personally scout out resources like iron, coal and flux to find a good embark site.  Best places to scout are hilly or mountainous areas where you can easily see the cliff sides and what minerals the region is composed of.  Best areas have caves, they often go deep underground allowing you to see more of the inner workings.  Be sure to set caves as visible using advanced world gen, otherwise you will have to spam ask townsfolk about the surroundings to find them. 
  • Legends viewer also helps you add your own adventurer to the possible migrants available to your fortress.  Make a useful adventurer and skill him up to legendary with powerful attributes.  For example, a legendary marksdwarf with legendary ambush skills for a powerful ranged militia or set him to be a world class hunter that provides amazing amounts of meat, bones and leather to your fort!  Better yet, find or create an awesome pick, slaughter creatures throughout the world, then you have a legendary miner with incredible combat skills that can carve out your fort as well as kill any unnatural creatures that he finds in the depths.  Then use legends viewer to find the mountain home of your preferred civilization and walk your adventurer to that area and retire him.  Voila!  You now have added an incredibly powerful migrant that can possibly migrate to your fort, make more to increase the odds!
  • You can use legends viewer to find out how many, if any, necromancer towers, books that have the secrets to life and death, lairs, tombs, vampires, werebeasts, and the like and locate exactly where they are so you can hike your adventurer there, or embark your fort next to them.
  • The most common thing I use legends viewer for is to add visual representation when I present my world on the forums.  I can take pictures of sites, civilizations, and objects in my world and add them to my posts. 
  • For example:
  • This post
  • A treasure map to a world I shared
  • Example of a kobold cave I looked up so I can go kill them and level up my combat skills
These are just the uses I can think of off the top of my head, there are others to be sure!  Maybe I gave some people some good ideas, but you are sure to find your own.  It really helps people to explore the world in both an easier and manageable fashion that the default legends menu fails to allow.
If you think it's good, please visit the thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/qfu67/legends_viewer_anyone_use_it_much/
and upvote my comment so people can see.  Thanks!

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 03, 2012, 08:42:45 pm »

Spoiler: quote (click to show/hide)

Couldn't have said it better myself :)
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 05, 2012, 06:00:36 pm »

It's a great tool indeed, I recently found it myself, I am already wondering how I could have played before without it...

It adds a lot of depth to your game, I'm finally able to read legends without having to deal with the awful interface of the in-game legends, just the advanced search features do it for me... :D

Anyway, what are that bunch of "linked to UNKNOWN HISTORICAL FIGURE" I keep finding? I also see "UNKNOWN" when refering to masterfully made items or specific weapons that struck an enemy or something...

Also there are "went in a quest to the underworld and tamed an UNKNOWN"...?

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 05, 2012, 07:45:23 pm »

There were a lot of changes to the XML dumps in v0.34.x (see this thread) so Legends Viewer needs to be updated to handle all of them.  Unfortunately, there are some events Legends Viewer misses entirely in its current version, so I use it in conjunction with Dwarf Fortress' legends viewer to see them all.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 05, 2012, 07:52:31 pm »

Generally the UNKNOWNs are data that the XML dump doesn't include. Though while doing some work on it over the weekend I noticed that some of the related historical figures aren't being built right and are displaying Unknown when they should be known.

I'm pretty close to getting the new events to be generated in the event logs. After that I need to fix a couple other bugs. Then I should have a release that at least allows you to view some of the new events in event logs, though it won't have built up any viewable stats from those events yet, as that will take some further processing of the data.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.13.03 (New Events)
« Reply #297 on: March 05, 2012, 09:54:01 pm »

13.03 Released.

I got the new events printing. I haven't done any sort of other processing of data from these events so its just in the event logs for now. Later on I will build proper stats and whatnot from them. Here is the list of new events
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They will appear in the event filtering and other places. Again some of these events leave out data that I don't have any access to so you will still have to cross reference with the in game viewer if you want the details.

Also fixed some errors with building entity populations and another bug with related historical figures.

If you find any unknown data listed in the summary log, let me know so I can get it added. I'm sure there are a few rare things I missed. If there are any other problems though let me know and I'll get em fixed. Enjoy.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 05, 2012, 10:17:37 pm »

Thanks for the update.

Generally the UNKNOWNs are data that the XML dump doesn't include.
Yeah.  Wow.  I looked through the XML dump and there is a lot of missing information.  If you haven't done it already, you might want to make a list of the missing information and put in a feature request to have it added to the XML dump.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 05, 2012, 11:34:20 pm »

Generally the UNKNOWNs are data that the XML dump doesn't include.
Yeah.  Wow.  I looked through the XML dump and there is a lot of missing information.  If you haven't done it already, you might want to make a list of the missing information and put in a feature request to have it added to the XML dump.

I think Toady's plan is to slowly expose some more info to the XML dump with each major update.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 44