Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 44

Author Topic: Legends Viewer 1.13 (v40 Compatible)  (Read 315959 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.13.01 (Now Open Source)
« Reply #270 on: February 24, 2012, 07:57:24 pm »

love the irony of a notable kill being an unknown being...

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #271 on: February 24, 2012, 09:38:07 pm »

I genned that world and it loads fine though the XML is only 1GB in size. If you are using any mods I'll need to see the save or compressed exported files instead.

Here's a link to the save file http://dwarffortress.org/worlds/trevoke.zip , no mods. I tried it on another computer and got the same ~1.8gb xml dump....
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 25, 2012, 07:17:13 am »

Hey i got a problem i cant see any graphics in Legends Viewer its just "X" on blank field, i updated IE to v 7, doesnt help, any ideas?

minozake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 25, 2012, 03:55:28 pm »

So, seeing as this is done in C#, it's incompatible with (almost) anything other than Windows.  Would you mind if I ported it to another programming language so that it would be portable?  I didn't see a license on the github source, so I thought to ask.

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 25, 2012, 04:15:33 pm »

I really wish this was easier to run in Linux.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 25, 2012, 05:59:54 pm »

I made a quick change where if an event gets a null as the Historical Figure then I will return a Historical Figure with dummy data.  It seems that under some situations there can be XML files generated form Legend Mode that will not contain all the Historical Figures.  I attached a compiled version of the code for anyone who wants to get up and running right away, as well as modified source code containing my change.

A little more information, probably should make a bug for Dwarf Fortress.  I found the mysterious creature who didn't appear in the XML file:

Compiled:
http://the-guildhall.net/images/LegendViewer.zip

Source:
http://the-guildhall.net/images/Protesilaus-Legends-Viewer.zip

Hmm. I use to use a null object pattern for a lot of the unknown things like this but removed it all for some reason. I'll have to think about it some more, but that will probably be the easiest thing to do. If you want to submit changes to the code I want it to be through GitHub. Just makes everything easier and is more organized that way.

Hey i got a problem i cant see any graphics in Legends Viewer its just "X" on blank field, i updated IE to v 7, doesnt help, any ideas?

Probably needs a version newer than IE7, need to change that in the op.

So, seeing as this is done in C#, it's incompatible with (almost) anything other than Windows.  Would you mind if I ported it to another programming language so that it would be portable?  I didn't see a license on the github source, so I thought to ask.

I'm not going to stop anyone from using the code for their own projects if they want, but I would prefer to see if there is a solution for making the current code cross-platform. I had messed around with Mono a long time ago and at one point I got it partially working under Linux. To get it to work under Mac though I think we need to rewrite all the code that uses the web browser to display information into form based code. The web browser wasn't supported under Mac last I checked. If we could find a way to make it work I think it would be nicer so we can combine our work instead of having split up projects, but if we can't I have no problem with other people using it. Or if we find a number of people who are interested in actively contributing to a project and we all agree to rewrite the code in another language and work from there I would be for that. I'm really just looking for experience working with other programmers and I've enjoyed working with the legends data so I'm trying to continue working on it with a team.

Tulx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 26, 2012, 10:24:16 am »

Has anyone got it working under Mac by using some kind of an emulator? I tried launching it with Wine but the program won't even start up, nothing happens. Or maybe someone can recommend similar program that might run/is capable of running under Mac?

Anyway, here's a *yes please I want it get ported to mac! imaginary plump helmet biscuit giveaway!*.

Protesilaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 26, 2012, 01:02:17 pm »

I could try compiling in Mono to get a Mac version, but I probably would need to find a new ZIP dll to use (although I could just remove that for now).  Give me a little while, I could try to get it running.

Tulx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2012, 08:09:50 am »

Ok, I really appreciate the effort, hopefully you can get it to work somehow.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.13.02 (Now Open Source)
« Reply #279 on: February 27, 2012, 10:03:14 am »

13.02 Released, should load now for those with problems, if not let me know.

I wouldn't expect a Mac version anytime soon, lots of work needs to be done for that to happen and I'm unsure how many people want to help out. Right now I've only had time to do the bug fixes and some minor work with the new data.

Protesilaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 27, 2012, 10:26:09 am »

I wouldn't expect a Mac version anytime soon, lots of work needs to be done for that to happen and I'm unsure how many people want to help out. Right now I've only had time to do the bug fixes and some minor work with the new data.
I have a Mac emulator and successfully ran your code in Mono.  I have to install Mono on the emulator and try to compile it there.  If all goes well, I could create Mac binaries, although it would be extremely experimental.  As much as I love Mono I have not played extensively with Mac conversion.  If I do manage to get it running, I'll post any changes to GitHub. 

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 27, 2012, 10:52:16 am »

This might be covered earlier in the thread but I missed it.. how do you get the images to scale right? It's loading the map but it's about 1/4 expected size apparently, so all the overlays are off.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 27, 2012, 11:38:57 am »

The tiled map needs to be resized so that 1 tile is 16x16 pixels. Some code could probably be written to do this, while we don't get region coordinates or the world size, we do get site coordinates which I think would allow you to estimate the correct world size. Then resize the any map images as needed.

Protesilaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 27, 2012, 09:20:47 pm »

I successfully have it compiling on a Mac, but I had to pull out functionality to get it to compile (for anyone not a programmer cross-platform programming can get complicated).  I had to trim out the charts, file archiving, and a windows messaging service (which may mean that his whole experiment was for naught).  So we will see if this even works (I was surprised I didn't need to change the browser pane).  I just wanted people to know where I stand on it.

== EDIT ==
So I hit a permanent stumbling block as far as I can see, so I may have to move this to my side project backburner.  There isn't a libgluezilla release on OSX so its not possible to do an easy translation from Windows to OSX.  Unless I can find a way around it I won't be able to make a port.

My only other thought (and it could be a nice feature) would be to use the project to translate the files into a webpage so it could be loaded without the need for the program to be on your computer (since it appears to be doing that already).  It could also save load time. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:44:22 pm by Protesilaus »

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 27, 2012, 10:44:59 pm »

Yeah, the browser can't be ported to Macs, but it is possible for it to work on Linux. The charts won't work for either.

Probably the best solution for the browser would be to write code that would generate forms with controls to display the data, which will require a good amount of work. The idea of converting the data into html files wouldn't be feasible as it would waste tons of hard drive space to store all of it. The only other idea I had a long time ago would be to turn the program into some sort of server that you could point your external browser to with some sort of URL then serve that pages out that way. But then there wouldn't be a way to display and interact with the map in a seamless way.

The charts would require finding a library that would work and then rewriting all the chart code, which needs to be done at some point anyways since it was pretty badly hacked together.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 44