Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: NEWBY NEWB NOOB designs  (Read 5481 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEWBY NEWB NOOB designs
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 02:34:43 pm »

Which means that...2 tiles is perfect, 3 tiles is definitely going to slow you down. Gah!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 02:35:50 pm »

Which means that...2 tiles is perfect, 3 tiles is definitely going to slow you down. Gah!

Nnnnno?

Two is perfect if everyone is going one way. However usually traffic is going both ways. Theoretically maybe four would be better but three is a good value.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 02:39:56 pm »

Liar! Horizontal passage is slowed down too much by 4-tile hallways!

Highways may be better of as 4-tilers, but actual hallways with rooms on either side...no way! Needs to be thin!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 02:52:31 pm »

Hallway width only matters if the total journey length along the hallway is shorter than the hallway width. Other than that, it doesn't matter except for giving enough for traffic stuff, e.g.,:
Code: [Select]
Xwwwwwwwwww
_123_______
____4______
_____5_____
______6789_
wwwwwwwwwwY

takes the same time (10 moves) as:

Code: [Select]
Xwwwwwwwww
_123456789
wwwwwwwwwwY

but allows considerably more traffic without slowdowns

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 02:56:21 pm »

But what if there are parallel rooms with doorways right across?

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 04:57:55 pm »

@Khan:Then design your fortress so that there aren't any. The effect is still negligible compared to the ~65% speed reduction for lying down.
@JonathanHolt75:Don't be scared away by the people with far too much time on their hands. Everybody's a newb once.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:15:41 am by Saposhiente »
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 04:59:01 pm »

My personal advice: Do what you feel confortable with, untill it works, then do something crazy. Thats called fun.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 05:19:43 pm »

hey cool thanks guys, im still looking at all the workshops and what they do, its pretty elaborate, im stuck on traction benches and making chains and ropes, is there a chart or anything for the different metals and what they need?

for someone new to the game, traction benches are a 100% waste of your time.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 07:28:59 pm »

Sorry to noob out this thread, but I started this game yesterday, I'm on part three of this http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31928.0 its been really helpful so far, I have a basic basic grasp of whats going on, I just have a quick question;
Can I make a floor using dirt? I'm following the tutorial quite closely but instead of patchy outdoor farms I want it to be better, but there is a hole thats appeared (it says openspace) can I use dirt to make a floor? Obviously I could use other material but then I can't use it to grow plants.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 07:48:03 pm »

Sorry, but no. Soil is a completely limited, non-recoverable resource, and if it says "open space", then there's just no soil in that spot. You'll have to farm elsewhere  :o

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 07:51:52 pm »

But the wider the hallways, the longer it takes dwarves to pass from one side to the other, horizontally. So maybe you might actually loose more speed than you gain!  :o

Any time a dwarf is blocked (iirc, by a dwarf and a laying-down dwarf on the same square in a coridoor) they repath to their destination.  When you have 20 dwarves moving stocks around or dumping stone passing down a coridoor and your FPS takes a chunky hit, you'll wish you made them 3 tiles wide.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 08:51:15 pm »

Armok dammit.

I'll make my glorious dwarven highway mkII four tiles wide, you got me already  >:(

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 09:44:35 pm »

Reason's why I love DF #106: The decidedly Greek debate that any thread soon turns into.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 10:38:21 pm »

I love seeing that comic get referenced.  It is where I stole my avatar from (and the same place that someone else got theirs from.  I dont remember their name though...)
@Khan:Then design your fortress so that there aren't any. The effect is still negligible compared to the ~65% speed reduction for lying down.
@JonathanHolt75:Don't be scared away by the people with far too much time on their hands. Everybody's a newb once.
*snipity snip* lets take out that massive comic...

What I recommend is that you use 3-5 wide hallways for high traffic areas (5 is just for fanciness,) 2-3 wide for medium traffic areas (anywhere that more than 1 dorf will be semi regularly going,) and only use 1 tile hallways for areas that will be rarely accessed (or for chokepoints that you want highly trapped.  but again, rarely accessed.)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 01:45:04 am »

About those 3x3 staircases:  dwarves never use the middle ones that I can see.  So I mine that out and use it to place a statue (which, yes, can sometimes cause them to take one extra step because they have to go around it).
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3