Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: NEWBY NEWB NOOB designs  (Read 5483 times)

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: NEWBY NEWB NOOB designs
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2010, 02:19:04 am »

About those 3x3 staircases:  dwarves never use the middle ones that I can see.  So I mine that out and use it to place a statue (which, yes, can sometimes cause them to take one extra step because they have to go around it).
Because of dwarf geometry (circle := square) they take no more time unless somebody is in their way. You could also put repeating hatch covers with a water source on top for a mist generator.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

JonathanHolt75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 02:31:26 am »

haha thanks everyone for the tips, im using a hybrid of type deal between 51ppycup and pungo (tutorials on youtube). my fort starts usually one level below the top of a plateau. my entrance is a long hallway with a ramp going down at the end and a bastila room beyond that. my second level down has barracks, archer range, hospital, the hall way makes an L with another bastila pointed toward the ramp, and finally the trade depot. (weird side note my dwarfs wont use the ramp, i have to build a separate staircase. then 2 lvls of workshops and stockpiles , then town hall, food stockpile, and offices. then 3 lvls of individual rooms. if u watch the tutorals then u would get what im talkin about.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 05:04:31 am »

Make sure to figure out how to make an underground well with floodgates and tunnels without drowning yourself, or else figure out how to wall up your aboveground wall completely with an underground entrance. BONUS PROTIP: Put the underground well near your hospital if you'd like it to do anything.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 01:12:43 pm »

Make sure to figure out how to make an underground well with floodgates and tunnels without drowning yourself, or else figure out how to wall up your aboveground wall completely with an underground entrance. BONUS PROTIP: Put the underground well near your hospital if you'd like it to do anything.

ADDITIONAL BONUS PROTIP:  Whenever you make a well, ever, treat it like it is salt water.  Build a cistern under where the well will be placed (I recommend using multiple z levels for the cistern, just so it will be able to store lots of water for emergencies.)  Make sure that the cistern has entirely artificial walls and floors.  Next, build a pump that will fill the cistern with pure water.  Profit.  The reason why I suggest this as opposed to just digging a hole for freshwater when it is available, is that if you allow water to contact natural walls it will become stagnant water when taken from a well.  If the well is filled with pump filtered water and only contacts artificial walls it remains "water" without that stagnant tag.  This may reduce the magnitude of the unhappy thought from drinking water and it may reduce the risk of infection when using water to clean surgery patients.  More !!SCIENCE!! is required
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 01:25:24 pm »

Monsieur Xenos, that is ingenious. I applaud your affinity for dwarven medical technology!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!
Pages: 1 2 [3]