Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: NEWBY NEWB NOOB designs  (Read 5482 times)

JonathanHolt75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
NEWBY NEWB NOOB designs
« on: December 03, 2010, 01:07:33 am »

hello everyone i am new to the world of DF and just learned how to make wells, that pretty much sums up my skills. i have been watching some tutorials and reading up. im was wondering if anyones got any simple modular designs for me to emulate. any help and tips are welcome.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
Re: NEWBY NEWB NOOB designs
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 01:24:16 am »

My advice to you is to remember to think three-dimensionally when planning out your forts, because going up or down the stairs counts as one step. You can dramatically increase efficiency by stacking rooms on different floors rather than laying them all out on the same level.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 01:25:31 am »

I would say the best way for you would be to plan them out yourself, so you can have fun while learning and having !Fun!.

Or you could use
http://nthproductions.com/webfort/webfort.html - webfort to plan your fortress out
http://sun2design.com/quickfort/ - quickfort to dig it out

JonathanHolt75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 02:10:23 am »

hey cool thanks guys, im still looking at all the workshops and what they do, its pretty elaborate, im stuck on traction benches and making chains and ropes, is there a chart or anything for the different metals and what they need?

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 02:26:40 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Metal

The wiki has a wealth of information on pretty much everything.
That metals page not only tells you all the alloy combination and what you can do with those metals but also charts their combat effectiveness.

jdturner11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 06:45:08 am »

check out the "dwarven designs" thread I made if you need help with planning out your fortress a bit. Web fort is excellent too, I believe it was linked above. Welcome to the game, good luck, and remember that eventually everything you build crumbles.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 11:12:07 am »

I want to reiterate the Z levels comment.

Definitely build in 3 dimensions.  1 z level is the same amount of movement as 1 x or y square, but has a lot more build potential.

Think cube, not pancake.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

JonathanHolt75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 01:23:23 pm »

thanks all for ur help. i was looking at ur thread about designs and was thinking that everyones is so elaborate (like single level fortress), my noob request shouldnt be allowed in forum with all those impressive forts.  is there a trick to multi level irrigation, i use up/down stairs for pipes  and 2 floodgates( for the flooded room and one for the mouth of the irrigation channel.)

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 01:39:45 pm »

Hi, something (roughly!) like:

(23x23 Workshop block) D: Dig designation, X: Up/Down Staircase

D      D       DDDDD      D       D
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
DDDDDXDDDDDDDDDDDDXDDDDD
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
D       D      DDDDD      D       D
DDDDDDDDDDXXXDDDDDDDDDDD
DDDDDDDDDDXXXDDDDDDDDDDD
DDDDDDDDDDXXXDDDDDDDDDDD
D      D       DDDDD      D       D
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
DDDDDXDDDDDDDDDDDDXDDDDD
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
 DDDDDDDDD DDD DDDDDDDDD
D       D      DDDDD      D       D

This is 4 (9x9) rooms with a single Up/Down staircase each; seperated by standard 3 tile wide corridors and finally your main (3x3) staircase block in the middle.

As Ovg said; use the guide on the QuickFort website to make your CSV and run it in game for a clean, tileable stockpile or workshop area :)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 01:52:03 pm »

Why again do we need wide hallways? Caravans don't bring wagons atm, and I've never seen dwarves getting stuck when moving through each other  :-\
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 02:06:36 pm »

They slow down, because they are crawling over each other.  Hence most people use 3x hallways.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 02:11:51 pm »

Why not 2x? 3x seems like overkill  :o
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 02:29:32 pm »

I like 3 wide corridors because faster dwarves like to pass slower dwarves, and if it was only 2 wide, they'd be running into other dwarves going the other way.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 02:31:15 pm »

But the wider the hallways, the longer it takes dwarves to pass from one side to the other, horizontally. So maybe you might actually loose more speed than you gain!  :o

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 02:33:23 pm »

But the wider the hallways, the longer it takes dwarves to pass from one side to the other, horizontally. So maybe you might actually loose more speed than you gain!  :o

Dwarves can step diagonally forward. So it's always faster to step around someone.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.
Pages: [1] 2 3