Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1348 1349 [1350] 1351 1352 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977815 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20235 on: March 02, 2020, 06:44:03 am »

That was the argument being given by executives when that show got cancelled, and it's actually not entirely removed from the truth... Some people just turn on a show to have something going on in the background (my uncle's family does this a lot, the TV is going almost constantly. It also pretty much instantly puts him to sleep).

I believe there were some questionnaires or the like a while back where people reported that they liked having the sound of people talking in the background; that it made them feel less lonely.

Channel idea: Optimize this phenomenon by streaming content that is optimized to be ideal background conversational chatter; filled with people having nonstop, perhaps even nonsense, conversations with eachother, but in a tone and in a cadence to make it sound like real people in the background of your home.

For real though, that fuels my ongoing suspicion that technology has just made civilization worse off, but allowing people to simulate chatter to reduce the feeling of loneliness, rather than just being a closer knit community so that it's not needed.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20236 on: March 02, 2020, 07:19:28 am »

Reading some negative reviews of that anime about the people grieving over their friend's death, I mentioned last page. The reviews were written by people so immersed in fiction that they don't know what reality looks like.

The reviewer's complaint was that in-between being unhappy/grieving, the characters were occasionally normal, or even happy, before becoming sad again. Apparently this was "unrealistic". Also, he didn't like how there was no actual plot-point of them "getting over it", rather, they just gradually were upset less often until they pretty much forgot about it. He saw this as a plot hole. so this guy thinks the realistic way to depict grief is someone who's sad constantly until some well-defined life-changing moment happens then they're magically happy after that. Viewer reviewers suck*.

* Or, I should say that people who spend all their time writing anime reviews about how they don't think the human interactions are realistic don't actually seem very knowledgeable about how real humans behave ;) a common thing from these guys is to claim that people freaking out under pressure or making errors of judgement in a series is "unrealistic", because apparently they should all be John Mcclane under pressure. The logical thing to do would be to pick up the pitchfork and skewer the zombie, so that's how every character should act in such a scene, for "realism". That's how this logic goes.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:35:01 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20237 on: March 02, 2020, 07:47:54 am »

Multifacetted characters are for normies

That said since I haven't seen the series in question I can't say it isn't badly written either
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20238 on: March 02, 2020, 07:51:19 am »

I was going to say the overall series is a B+ series. And guess what:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/grimgar-of-fantasy-and-ash-episodes-1-12-streaming
ANN's review pretty much covers everything I mentioned plus some.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 08:00:52 am by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20239 on: March 02, 2020, 09:35:14 am »

It’s probably for compression’s sake. If there’s lots of time shown in which nothing happens, that’s not very interesting unless you know how to write relly relly well. I never really noticed that People emote constantly in those works myself until now, but I am a weirdo.

It wouldn't last long, but I'd watch a show that's just somebody sitting there, bored out of their mind. Something to relax to.

What is Seinfeld?

No, that makes the watcher bored, and involves improbable conflicts.

Reading some negative reviews of that anime about the people grieving over their friend's death, I mentioned last page. The reviews were written by people so immersed in fiction that they don't know what reality looks like.

The reviewer's complaint was that in-between being unhappy/grieving, the characters were occasionally normal, or even happy, before becoming sad again. Apparently this was "unrealistic". Also, he didn't like how there was no actual plot-point of them "getting over it", rather, they just gradually were upset less often until they pretty much forgot about it. He saw this as a plot hole. so this guy thinks the realistic way to depict grief is someone who's sad constantly until some well-defined life-changing moment happens then they're magically happy after that. Viewer reviewers suck*.

* Or, I should say that people who spend all their time writing anime reviews about how they don't think the human interactions are realistic don't actually seem very knowledgeable about how real humans behave ;) a common thing from these guys is to claim that people freaking out under pressure or making errors of judgement in a series is "unrealistic", because apparently they should all be John Mcclane under pressure. The logical thing to do would be to pick up the pitchfork and skewer the zombie, so that's how every character should act in such a scene, for "realism". That's how this logic goes.

In their defense, anime-watchers rarely interact with people. It's for the best.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20240 on: March 02, 2020, 12:53:53 pm »

What is Seinfeld?
What do they teach you in school these days?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20241 on: March 02, 2020, 12:57:21 pm »

What is Seinfeld?

Did you have a Seinfeld class in school?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20242 on: March 02, 2020, 02:44:35 pm »

But of course. It was part of the architect career. Also it was given on the Marine Biology one.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20243 on: March 02, 2020, 03:00:26 pm »

Did you have a Seinfeld class in school?
It's a class about nothing!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20244 on: March 03, 2020, 12:58:30 am »

What is Seinfeld?

How one answers in Jeopardy? ;)
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20245 on: March 03, 2020, 08:05:39 am »

What is Seinfeld?

How one answers in Jeopardy? ;)
What is question about this game?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20246 on: March 03, 2020, 08:44:54 am »

In Jeopardy, the answer is the question ;)
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20247 on: March 03, 2020, 09:03:39 am »

And the question is the answer. Jeopardy is a Buddhist koan in game show form.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20248 on: March 03, 2020, 10:12:57 am »

Should I start a Jeopardy thread?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20249 on: March 05, 2020, 06:19:58 am »

Which would a funny suggestion that keep us entretained for many a moon?
Pages: 1 ... 1348 1349 [1350] 1351 1352 ... 1420