Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1347 1348 [1349] 1350 1351 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977804 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20220 on: February 28, 2020, 02:33:43 pm »

Yeah, that sounds... pretty par for the course, actually. There's not a whole lot of feeling that goes into day-to-day living-- by default you'll be in neutral most of the time.

At best.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20221 on: February 28, 2020, 02:44:11 pm »

It’s just that I have short bursts of emotion amid a mostly emotionless plane of thought

Yeah, that sounds... pretty par for the course, actually. There's not a whole lot of feeling that goes into day-to-day living-- by default you'll be in neutral most of the time.
ok. Somehow I got the idea that everyone must be feeling something all the time, maybe it was TV shows? It seems like in TV shows, whether animated or not, have the characters constantly feeling something

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20222 on: February 28, 2020, 02:55:58 pm »

ok. Somehow I got the idea that everyone must be feeling something all the time, maybe it was TV shows? It seems like in TV shows, whether animated or not, have the characters constantly feeling something

Yeah, that is a thing tv and movies do.

Also, it would be the worst.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20223 on: February 28, 2020, 04:00:48 pm »

TV shows everyone is constantly emoting.

You want a really, REALLY good example of that, check out any famous youtuber. They are a caricature of emotion at every single second in whatever show they are putting on. It's actually off-putting to me how incredibly strange it is to see someone do that. It's got that mildly skin-crawling effect on me, like they aren't quite human.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20224 on: February 28, 2020, 07:39:02 pm »

There must be some psychological appeal there that works on most people. TV shows have switched to minute-long scenes with high emotions. It feels very manic to me and, likewise, not entirely human.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20225 on: February 29, 2020, 02:52:17 am »

Maybe it's part of the Superlative Culture that plagues our generation
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20226 on: February 29, 2020, 05:17:50 am »

Or, it evolved to try and deal with channel-hopping behaviors. If you're hopping channels and you get stuff like that NCIS scene with the two people manically typing on one keyboard you may be more inclined to watch for a minute. I haven't compared but I think Network Television suffers from the type of editing we're discussing here more than say, Game of Thrones. If something is on a paid service they can be pretty sure you're going to be sitting there for a whole episode whereas if it's on free-to-air networks they have a strategy to pick up channel-hoppers as much as possible.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 05:20:08 am by Reelya »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20227 on: February 29, 2020, 07:40:29 pm »

It’s probably for compression’s sake. If there’s lots of time shown in which nothing happens, that’s not very interesting unless you know how to write relly relly well. I never really noticed that People emote constantly in those works myself until now, but I am a weirdo.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20228 on: February 29, 2020, 08:30:04 pm »

Or, it evolved to try and deal with channel-hopping behaviors.
This is almost definitely it, yeah. I noticed it when catching glimpses of shows like The Good Doctor which are really competing with streaming and paid services.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20229 on: February 29, 2020, 10:44:32 pm »

They also snap out of the emotional problems really fast too in action movies. Like they're super-sad when someone dies but then they're completely normal within a scene or two.

Makes me think of this one Japanese novel series with an anime adaptation, Grimgar, which is a deconstruction of RPG party-based stories. The fights are pretty intense, but not in terms of high-powered, but in how nasty it gets. At level one, they're trying to kill one goblin, and this isn't like dice rolling stuff. This goblin really doesn't want to die, pus and blood level not wanting to die. so it ends with one of the guys struggling on the ground with the goblin and I think they end up smashing it's face in to stop it moving Deconstructing how clean movie deaths. So, someone in the party dies early on in one of these goblin fights, and they spend the entire rest of the series dealing with the PTSD and guilt over that death, which is effectively the main plot point and not just a catalyst for further action. A lot of people didn't like it though, because it does get pretty slow/introspective.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 11:05:27 pm by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20230 on: March 01, 2020, 09:50:51 pm »

It’s probably for compression’s sake. If there’s lots of time shown in which nothing happens, that’s not very interesting unless you know how to write relly relly well. I never really noticed that People emote constantly in those works myself until now, but I am a weirdo.

It wouldn't last long, but I'd watch a show that's just somebody sitting there, bored out of their mind. Something to relax to.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20231 on: March 02, 2020, 01:32:31 am »

I'm reminded of Police Squad, and how it supposedly got cancelled because there was "too much going on". The amount of background gags and details combined with the rate at which the jokes were delivered (and recovered from) was deemed too hectic and that it required too much attention from its viewers. A TV show is something you have going on in the background while you are doing other things, not a medium you should have to focus and use brainpower on.

Although, that thought doesn't terrify me... It just makes me a little sad. So this is probably the wrong place for that. Hmm.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20232 on: March 02, 2020, 01:45:33 am »

It wouldn't last long, but I'd watch a show that's just somebody sitting there, bored out of their mind. Something to relax to.

What is Seinfeld?
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20233 on: March 02, 2020, 05:44:31 am »

I'm reminded of Police Squad, and how it supposedly got cancelled because there was "too much going on". The amount of background gags and details combined with the rate at which the jokes were delivered (and recovered from) was deemed too hectic and that it required too much attention from its viewers. A TV show is something you have going on in the background while you are doing other things, not a medium you should have to focus and use brainpower on.

Although, that thought doesn't terrify me... It just makes me a little sad. So this is probably the wrong place for that. Hmm.
What? I focus on shows, they have stories, usually. Why would one not want to focus on a thing they are watching? Isn’t that the point of a TV show?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20234 on: March 02, 2020, 06:18:40 am »

That was the argument being given by executives when that show got cancelled, and it's actually not entirely removed from the truth... Some people just turn on a show to have something going on in the background (my uncle's family does this a lot, the TV is going almost constantly. It also pretty much instantly puts him to sleep).

I believe there were some questionnaires or the like a while back where people reported that they liked having the sound of people talking in the background; that it made them feel less lonely.
Pages: 1 ... 1347 1348 [1349] 1350 1351 ... 1420