Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1118 1119 [1120] 1121 1122 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1962792 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #16785 on: September 13, 2016, 10:15:07 pm »

You know what's really crazy? This one time I saw a hazmat truck on the road, and it just... drove.
Like, it just kept going along like any old regular truck. It didn't explode, or get hijacked, leak catastrophically or anything. Weird, huh? :o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16786 on: September 13, 2016, 11:23:36 pm »

I once had a carrier dispatch a truck to pick up some freight.  Not hazmat, just consumer electronics destined for a product launch at Best Buy.  The driver had an accident inside the warehouse at the pick-up location, and then managed to slip out before cops showed up.  Had a change of heart and came back 20 minutes later to admit he didn't have a driver's license.  That news was the icing at like 8 pm on an already crazy as fuck day of everything possible going horribly wrong.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16787 on: September 14, 2016, 01:15:40 am »

.___.

* Sirus hides under the bed

But wouldn't that just... Put you closer to the cargo?
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16788 on: September 15, 2016, 11:40:32 am »

My sleep issues have continued.  I haven't had any more episodes.  Only those first two, which I'm still calling sleep paralysis.  But I'm still waking up almost every night.  Sometimes multiple times a night now.  And I'll often have that feeling of something dreadful and ominous looming near.  But it didn't take me long to get proficient at swatting that junk away zen-style.  It's still strange to me that I've never experienced waking up unable to move, and often just shifting my legs or rolling over a couple times is all it takes to snap me into a more mundane reality.

Problem is I'm fucking tired.  I had enough issues with my staying up too late habits, which are also still as bad as ever.  I'm never tired at night when I need to be.  I know there are sleep hygiene practices which I neglect, that would likely go a long way.  But those all look like they involve giving up the only things in my life that I do for myself (like playing games before bed).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 12:05:27 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16789 on: September 15, 2016, 11:47:02 am »

Maybe some kind of substitute? I do tend to play games before I sleep, as well, but usually I'll put them down (at least) 20-30 minutes before I intend to zonk out, and read for a while instead. Has helped, as near as I've been able to tell.

... though that does occasionally backfire spectacularly when I hit something both lengthy and particularly engaging and repeatedly fail the will saves to sleep instead of keep reading :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16790 on: September 15, 2016, 11:50:02 am »

There are suplements you can get without prescription that aid in improving sleep quality. My father started taking melatonin a good while ago and he says it has definitely helped him sleep better. You can buy it online, though I would recommend some research on the seller, first.

Additionaly, try to evaluate your eating habits. What are usualy the last things you eat before bed, and how long do you eat them before bed? Even foods that are widely considered healthy can negatively impact your sleep. My father avoids orange juice at night since, according to him, it makes his sleep worse everytime he takes it.

And ye, try to not just stop gaming and immediately go to bed, give some time for your mind to slow down.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16791 on: September 15, 2016, 11:56:41 am »

I would, but 2-3 hours before bed is literally the only time I have for myself most days.  And that's if I'm only allowing myself 5-6 hours of sleep.

And normally, I haven't eaten for 5-6 hours when I go to sleep, or drank anything but water for 10-12 hours.

I do take melatonin sometimes.  It helps immensely.  But it also makes it 3x more difficult to get up in the morning, and I'm already pretty fucking bad there.  So I normally take it Fri & Sat nights when I fully intend to binge sleep without limitation.  I also don't want to become dependent on it.  I don't know if that can happen with melatonin, but I know it's common with sleep supplements.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 11:58:28 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16792 on: September 15, 2016, 12:06:16 pm »

I've avoided any treatment for my lifelong inability to sleep correctly for exactly that reason. Waking up every hour and having only nightmares is pretty bad, but at least I'm not sleepwalking around binging on food and trying to drive like Ambien users.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16793 on: September 15, 2016, 12:13:54 pm »

Can't say it's healthy nor would work for everyone, but when I can't sleep right and have a day with minimal responsibilities coming up, I try to pull an all nighter. The next day, I tend to get to sleep at a good time. As long as I wake up at a good time the next day, I can maintain the new sleep pattern for a long time. At least until something else messes me up.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16794 on: September 15, 2016, 12:49:10 pm »

Melatonin wont cause dependence... but it's not very effective either.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16795 on: September 15, 2016, 01:16:43 pm »

I find Melatonin works well for me, but it doesn't seem to help my roommate at all.  I usually just take it if I slept badly the previous  night, since my insomnia tends last multiple nights.

Edit:

But it also makes it 3x more difficult to get up in the morning.

Gah, can confirm.  I think its still worth it though.  :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:22:08 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16796 on: September 15, 2016, 03:51:42 pm »

I can't and don't want to go into the specifics, but a certain aspect of my life has made my state of mind something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm trying to stay positive about it, and it's relatively petty in the scheme of things, so I'm not too worried, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit of a nervous wreck right now.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16797 on: September 15, 2016, 04:17:51 pm »

Is it the all-seeing eye, untethered from time, forever gazing into your demise, that is in your kitchen?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16798 on: September 15, 2016, 04:30:11 pm »

*hugs Tawa*

Stay safe, okay?  Whatever it is, I bet you can handle it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16799 on: September 16, 2016, 11:25:20 pm »

Have you seen the Bad Image List? NSFW, maybe illegal. Don't view.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.
Pages: 1 ... 1118 1119 [1120] 1121 1122 ... 1420