Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964889 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #12165 on: March 11, 2015, 09:15:15 am »

Rome was destroyed by embracing Christianity

And also, the value of gold is not one iota less illusory than the value of fiat cureency
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:23:38 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12166 on: March 11, 2015, 09:22:03 am »

*Rome was destroyed because of multiple reasons, one of which was embracing Christianity. Oversimplifications are often irritating.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12167 on: March 11, 2015, 10:18:28 am »

Rome was destroyed because of the collapse of it's slavery-driven economy system.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12168 on: March 11, 2015, 10:21:45 am »

Rome was destroyed because of my axe.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #12169 on: March 11, 2015, 10:25:22 am »

And my bow.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12170 on: March 11, 2015, 10:51:08 am »

And my potato minigun.
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #12171 on: March 11, 2015, 10:57:04 am »

That's the second time you've taken a shot at Christianity in the last little while (and also missed). Please don't, it doesn't add anything to anything.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12172 on: March 11, 2015, 11:09:21 am »

That's the second time you've taken a shot at Christianity in the last little while (and also missed). Please don't, it doesn't add anything to anything.
Eh, you can't keep all that edge inside you know. Gotta out it some way.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12173 on: March 11, 2015, 11:15:47 am »

Those sources all agree that it contributed
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12174 on: March 11, 2015, 11:23:01 am »

You're being awfully insensitive there, when someone asked you to stop something, so you double-down on the behaviour.

The crisis of the third century was the most likely core culprit for the later fall. It massively eroded central authority, and lead to much more localism. Local lords began to ignore tax collectors, since enforcement collapsed. The city-based economy and the middle class declined, with economic power shifting to land-owning noble families who accumulated vast tracts of land by force during the 50 years of civil war (thus sowing the seeds of feudalism) because food was the one sure resource to keep value. These nobles then had monopolies on farm production, and used this power to massively slash agricultural output to keep prices high (these were local monopolies as long distance transport of food would not have been practical).

So you had all economic power shifting to people who slashed production in the interests of personal greed. Obviously ongoing high food prices and shortages aren't doing much for your country militarily. I doubt the later christian thing had any measurable impact. The idea that Christianity made them too peaceful thus they got invaded (as seen in some of the links) is a dubious claim given that one of the main problems was that the many Romans factions were too busy trying to kill each other rather than properly deal with the barbarian invasions in the early 5th century.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:01:06 pm by Reelya »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12175 on: March 11, 2015, 02:05:54 pm »

The size of the largest known star, VY Canis Majoris, is so mind-numbingly gigantic that the Sun is no more than an infinitesimally small spark compared to it.

Space is big, man. This oversized image that I'm most certainly not leaving big because I'm lazy doesn't even scratch its sheer immensity.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:07:30 pm by Objective »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12176 on: March 11, 2015, 04:26:42 pm »

"...you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist but that's just peanuts to space"
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12177 on: March 11, 2015, 04:44:45 pm »

Quote from: Bohandas
relgion is teh evuls
I bet he's secretly Richard Dawkins
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #12179 on: March 11, 2015, 05:51:54 pm »

The size of the largest known star, VY Canis Majoris, is so mind-numbingly gigantic that the Sun is no more than an infinitesimally small spark compared to it.

Spoiler: big-ass image (click to show/hide)

Space is big, man. This oversized image that I'm most certainly not leaving big because I'm lazy doesn't even scratch its sheer immensity.
Woop, space. God I love space. The scale of space is awesome. Literally something-to-be-in-awe-of tier awesome, not just some "bruh dat's awesome" pleb use of the term.

spaaaaaaaace
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1420