Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1966278 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #7020 on: April 21, 2014, 06:08:55 pm »

Inb4 six-legged chicken story.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: April 21, 2014, 06:32:56 pm »

That'd never happen here - anything that would make meat more like it came from animals would fly like a lead balloon. Hell, I bet half the people in this nation don't even know that meat comes from animals.
I am of the opinion that everybody should know how to butcher something. Not really for any practical purpose because most people won't have to ever deal with turning a carcass into food; the understanding of the process is more important.
I think everyone should learn to fap, but you don't see fapping classes in schools, do you?
You don't see classes for social conduct either. It's one of those things you learn outside of school.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: April 21, 2014, 06:36:33 pm »

I think everyone should learn to fap, but you don't see fapping classes in schools, do you?
Computer classes might serve that role unofficially.

That'd never happen here - anything that would make meat more like it came from animals would fly like a lead balloon. Hell, I bet half the people in this nation don't even know that meat comes from animals.
I am of the opinion that everybody should know how to butcher something. Not really for any practical purpose because most people won't have to ever deal with turning a carcass into food; the understanding of the process is more important.
That, and I think people are getting too distanced from the fact that their "meat" was once an living animal too, making people have really weird ideas and demands from meat producers. Like customers ordering large amounts of single body part and not understanding that it comes from several animals, and then wondering how that results in large number of butchered animals.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: April 21, 2014, 06:42:40 pm »

Computer classes might serve that role unofficially.

That, and I think people are getting too distanced from the fact that their "meat" was once an living animal too, making people have really weird ideas and demands from meat producers. Like customers ordering large amounts of single body part and not understanding that it comes from several animals, and then wondering how that results in large number of butchered animals.
One of my happiest memories is helping butcher a sheep in Armenia, which got me into biology in the first place, so I support the notion of mandatory butchering classes!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: April 21, 2014, 06:50:18 pm »

You don't see classes for social conduct either. It's one of those things you learn outside of school.

We did have Home Ec (then Family and Consumer Sci) for a while. That's about the closest you get to life skills/social skills in a classroom.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7025 on: April 21, 2014, 07:00:36 pm »

Dead animal bodies hanging outside of shops aren't just exotic set dressing -- they serve a purpose. They're a sign for expats these days, one meaning "This meat is probably legit."
I laughed more than I should have.
It's unnecessary, as, for example, rabbit meat is much cheaper to produce than the equivalent amount of cat meat and thus no one acting in their interest would sell you cat, but the butchers still leave the skin on the paws of the rabbits they sell you as quality assurance.
You can get very large quantites of cat for free if you're a bit unscrupulous. Any place where two cats have ever been will have a massive stray cat population.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: April 21, 2014, 07:01:14 pm »

Thus proving that we are indeed all living in DF 1.0.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: April 21, 2014, 07:44:45 pm »

MY CHOCOLATE SUPPLY RAN OUT HALP D:
Keep calm and substitute peanut butter.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7028 on: April 21, 2014, 07:51:11 pm »

MY CHOCOLATE SUPPLY RAN OUT HALP D:
It is already too late.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: April 21, 2014, 10:22:31 pm »

Can I test out?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: April 21, 2014, 11:18:16 pm »

the understanding of the process is more important.

Why?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: April 21, 2014, 11:37:22 pm »

the understanding of the process is more important.

Why?
Well, to the extent that I agree, I'd say because it helps people understand where their food comes from. It's one of those hypocrisy things - in my experience, a lot of people who eat meat tend to be very squeamish about what has to happen to an animal to turn it into a delicious steak. I mean, it's certainly one thing to be put off your appetite in the immediate sense by gore, and that's perfectly reasonable, but most people I've talked to prefer not to think about it at all, ever, and that tells me that, on some level, they aren't really okay with it, and need to lie (by omission) to themselves in order to make life more convenient. Myself, I'm a happy omnivore, so I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with eating meat - but I do think something's wrong with needing to ignore the life that went into it.

If you can't accept your actions' consequences, don't take them, basically. It's all opinion, and I don't really go looking for occasions to bludgeon people with this one, but here we are.

Anyway, the reason I came in here to post: I had an idea earlier today that involved packing circles of various sizes. Evidently this is outrageously complicated - skimming various Wikipedia pages has filled me with a sense of dread as to what actually trying to implement some of this stuff would involve learning. There's just so much! Not that it isn't awesome, it's just terrifying how complicated a problem this turns out to be.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: April 21, 2014, 11:43:07 pm »

* Criptfeind shrugs.

I don't see a significant difference between the idea of "put off your appetite" by gore and just not liking the idea of gore in general. And not wanting to be exposed to or thinking about gore at all times.

The idea sounds the same to me as saying that everyone should spend a day in the sewers.

Edit: Actually thinking about it this might be one of those value of life things. Which, if that is the case, means this is going to be a impossible to cross difference in opinion.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:48:07 pm by Criptfeind »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: April 21, 2014, 11:59:27 pm »

That's possibly the case. I'm not objecting to people finding slaughterhouses gross, is the thing. It's that they know they'd have moral objections to what actually happens in animal slaughter, and instead of addressing those they prefer to avoid thinking about it. I think something's not right with needing to enforce cognitive dissonance in yourself in order to maintain your lifestyle, is what I'm getting at. Maybe not morally wrong, but bad in the sense of being unhealthy or a generally ineffective way to live a life.

EDIT: And, again, this is based on my own experience with people. It may not be generally applicable.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to mention that I wholeheartedly endorse vegetarianism as a way to deal with this problem because it means you've examined your thoughts on the matter and reached a decision that lets you live a life you're comfortable with.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:06:56 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: April 22, 2014, 05:56:38 am »

That's possibly the case. I'm not objecting to people finding slaughterhouses gross, is the thing. It's that they know they'd have moral objections to what actually happens in animal slaughter, and instead of addressing those they prefer to avoid thinking about it. I think something's not right with needing to enforce cognitive dissonance in yourself in order to maintain your lifestyle, is what I'm getting at. Maybe not morally wrong, but bad in the sense of being unhealthy or a generally ineffective way to live a life.

EDIT: And, again, this is based on my own experience with people. It may not be generally applicable.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to mention that I wholeheartedly endorse vegetarianism as a way to deal with this problem because it means you've examined your thoughts on the matter and reached a decision that lets you live a life you're comfortable with.
Vegevangelist detected.
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 1420