Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964685 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #4725 on: August 13, 2013, 02:46:09 pm »

I have to wonder, wouldn't most ghosts be incapable of doing anything to the vast majority of your things? I mean, imagine a 18th century ghost trying to mess with your computer, or your phone, or your microwave. It'd last 10 minutes of frustration before giving up and looking for a mirror to haunt.

* LordSlowpoke sighs.

these "ghosts" as you call them don't just go to nullspace or haunt all day all night you know? i'm fairly sure some are technologicaly disadvantaged but that's more because they can't really learn due to rapid linguistic shifts and having to pick up the language first (try learning english by only hearing it and judging what things mean from context, it's a funfest)

nevertheless most tech is made for idiots so keep that in mind when saying they can't do... things idiots can do, actually. you might run into the rare one who still gives a damn about what's thought of them and that won't be nice

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: August 13, 2013, 02:47:50 pm »

these "ghosts" as you call them don't just go to nullspace or haunt all day all night you know? i'm fairly sure some are technologicaly disadvantaged but that's more because they can't really learn due to rapid linguistic shifts and having to pick up the language first (try learning english by only hearing it and judging what things mean from context, it's a funfest)

They could be taught by other ghosts. If I was an English-speaking ghost, I'd definitely want to help my linguistically challenged buddies to be able to haunt more efficiently.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: August 13, 2013, 02:58:51 pm »

I have heard ghost marine biologists are pretty much the best thing to be because they know so much more than living marine biologists because ghosts are not limited to exploring places that won't kill them they can go right down into the trenches and study single celled organisms that are 10cm long to their hearts content and follow whales around without them noticing and stuff without being noticed.

Secretly the living world is way behind the ghost world in like ALL the sciences I would imagine.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: August 13, 2013, 03:07:55 pm »

Fact: a lot of revolutionary scientists were actually psychics who could communicate with the dead.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: August 13, 2013, 03:25:32 pm »

Getting wisdom teeth removed tomorrow. They're impacted so they have to be cut out.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:09:42 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: August 13, 2013, 04:08:08 pm »

I have heard ghost marine biologists are pretty much the best thing to be because they know so much more than living marine biologists because ghosts are not limited to exploring places that won't kill them they can go right down into the trenches and study single celled organisms that are 10cm long to their hearts content and follow whales around without them noticing and stuff without being noticed.

Secretly the living world is way behind the ghost world in like ALL the sciences I would imagine.
Have you read the Necroscope books?  Because that sort of thing goes on in them.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: August 13, 2013, 04:18:45 pm »

I'm still confused that people believe in ghosts period. If there were ghosts, that would be like a big fucking scientific discovery. Not something that has shows focused around it on the Syfy channel where a group of grown men run around an old house, yelling every five minutes that they thought something touched their shoulder.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: August 13, 2013, 04:20:55 pm »

Have you read the Necroscope books?  Because that sort of thing goes on in them.
... vampire... spores? Spores? Vampire spores?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: August 13, 2013, 04:26:07 pm »

Like with dwarves, only pointier.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: August 13, 2013, 04:28:01 pm »

I'm still confused that people believe in ghosts period. If there were ghosts, that would be like a big fucking scientific discovery. Not something that has shows focused around it on the Syfy channel where a group of grown men run around an old house, yelling every five minutes that they thought something touched their shoulder.

eh, maybe someday there will be a method to produce empirical evidence, if i for instance went ahead and came up to a reasonable institute, got myself a professor willing to listen to me and then not laugh me out of the building i'd basically be the only piece of proof that they exist and holy shit would my life turn into hell as the religious folk start calling me the hellspawn, i end up being observed 24/7 to understand what links me with the spirits essentially turning me into a zoo exhibit, and this is the stuff i can list without delving into the intricacies.

we may have had a chance but then the inquisition happened and ever since "burn fucking everyone" was a honest to god method of operations there's a degree of trust lost that will never be recovered

i won't comment on the other ghost posts as i halfheartedly feel like i'm being ridiculed for some reason

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: August 13, 2013, 04:29:18 pm »

Like with dwarves, only pointier.
Dwarf spores just make more dwarves. Vampire spores apparently... infect people? According to the wiki page.

Vampire spores, man. Or "Wamphyri" spores, anyway. What I'm saying is that wiki page reads like the description of some of the more terrible fanfiction I've seen in my life.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: August 13, 2013, 04:30:09 pm »

Man, the majority of the mother's side of the family are like that. Mostly my grandma and her friends.
I'm still kind of angry at her actually because we were staying at a house once and she kept insisting it was haunted and then that freaked my auntie and mum out and the general background fear in the way they were behaving freaked out my cousin who was only 7 or something.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: August 13, 2013, 04:43:09 pm »

What I love is the fact that, oddly enough, only people who believe in ghosts seem to see ghosts.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4738 on: August 13, 2013, 04:44:28 pm »

What I love is the fact that, oddly enough, only people who believe in ghosts seem to see ghosts.

The same thing can be said about house cats oddly enough.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: August 13, 2013, 04:52:46 pm »

The same thing can be said about house cats oddly enough.
So only people who believe in house cats see house cats?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 1420