Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Game Companies You Miss  (Read 7228 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: Game Companies You Miss
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 12:05:50 pm »

I'd say Quest, but apparently they're still around. Why they haven't produced a new Ogre Battle game since '99, I don't know and probably don't care, but they're due for it damnit.

Theres a new Tactics Ogre game coming out for the psp which is apparently being made by most of the dev team of the old ones. I'm not really sure what the difference is between Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre, but they're kinda the same Ogre-ey goodness right?

P.S. I was mostly joking about valve. :P I'd have to agree with many people that bullfrog are probobly the devs I miss the most.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 12:11:13 pm »

Sierra, Westwood, Bullfrog, Black Isle.

Sierra was kind of a catch-all.  They published all sorts of stuff.  No real theme tying it together...  But I have some very fond memories of some of their stuff.

Westwood turned out some terrific things.  I have very fond memories of that Blade Runner game they turned out just before vanishing.

Bullfrog made some absolutely awesome stuff.  Syndicate was terrific.

Black Isle made some great RPG stuff.

I'm sure most of their employees and IP and whatnot still exist somewhere...  But it just isn't the same.  It seems like Black Isle, and Westwood, and Bullfrog just turned out consistently good stuff.  There aren't a whole lot of companies like that any more.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 12:11:41 pm »

Micropose. They made awesome shiz, MoM and Darklands are in my mind some of the most awesome games ever.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 12:12:02 pm »

Avalon Hill, Origin Systems, New World Computing, Microprose, Talonsoft, Sir-Tech...
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 12:21:41 pm »

On the subject of creature labs, I heard that pretty much everyone that worked there is in gameware development. Which is working on a gameshow called bamzooki... From what I understand of once watching it back in the UK it's something like virtual robot wars for kids. Anyway, they were supposed to be getting back into the creature series at some point, this time in a 3d environment, and the engine behind bamzooki was supposed to help... but yeah I don't remember where I heard this stuff, I'm probably horribly wrong and just want some optimism in my life.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2010, 12:28:53 pm »

Bullfrog.

:(

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2010, 12:35:02 pm »

ion storm/looking glass

Dynamix
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2010, 12:40:07 pm »

SEGA

I know...but still...
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 12:57:52 pm »

Toys For Bob.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 01:07:07 pm »

Maxis and Bullfrog for sure.

I miss Troika Games the most.

So much potential.
Arcanum definitely on my top 5 list of best RPGs.  Very re-playable, unlike most RPG.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2010, 01:09:09 pm »

Stormregion for their awesome RTT games(try SWINE, their first game, it's free now), Liquid Entertainment (i think they still exist but they don't make RTS games anymore :( ), and most of the companies mentioned above, especially Maxis, i want a new Sim City
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2010, 01:12:36 pm »

Stormregion for their awesome RTT games(try SWINE, their first game, it's free now), Liquid Entertainment (i think they still exist but they don't make RTS games anymore :( ), and most of the companies mentioned above, especially Maxis, i want a new Sim City

There you go http://www2.citiesxl.com/
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2010, 01:30:46 pm »

Oh, man...  Maxis...  Had completely forgotten about them...

<nostalgia>...reticulating splines...</nostalgia>
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2010, 01:33:45 pm »

Oh, man...  Maxis...  Had completely forgotten about them...

<nostalgia>...reticulating splines...</nostalgia>
It took me until university before I learned that you can actually reticulate splines.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2010, 01:53:33 pm »

I'm not really sure what the difference is between Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre, but they're kinda the same Ogre-ey goodness right?

Only in a vague sense. Tactics was SRPG, Battle some kind of freaky/awesome Squad-based RTS/RPG... thing. They share character classes and a tendency in storyline tropes, but gameplay was, uh, radically different.

Didn't know about the PSP tactics thing, but my response is 'meh'. The Tactics Ogre line is awesome, yes, but the market's kinda' inundated with SRPG stuff. I'd really like the Neo Geo one that never made it to the states somehow revived and brought over... or a new Ogre Battle. We've still got room for at least four prequels!

EDIT: Though if you're talking about "Let Us Cling Together..." unless there' something radically different going on, that's, uh, a port. It's already been out for a looooong time on the SNES and PSX. The images on Gamefaqs seems to support that. Prettier, but still the same game.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 01:58:53 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10