Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Game Companies You Miss  (Read 7227 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game Companies You Miss
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2010, 01:56:49 pm »

Bullfrog and more recently Clover.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2010, 02:05:55 pm »

Micropose. They made awesome shiz, MoM and Darklands are in my mind some of the most awesome games ever.
I'm pretty sure Microprose was the publisher rather than the developer of those. But they did publish some of the best stuff of the time and they did develop a few good games themselves. Similarly with Strategic Simulations Inc..

Other than that:
-Looking Glass (Terra Nova, Thief),
-Origin (Ultima series, Crusader games)
-Black Isle (Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment)
-Bullfrog (Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2010, 02:25:28 pm »

Westwood is all I can think of.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2010, 02:36:53 pm »

Micropose. They made awesome shiz, MoM and Darklands are in my mind some of the most awesome games ever.
I'm pretty sure Microprose was the publisher rather than the developer of those. But they did publish some of the best stuff of the time and they did develop a few good games themselves.

That's still something worth missing.  The fact that a publisher was willing to fund games like those.  Microprose trusted us gamers with the big-kid toys.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2010, 02:38:31 pm »

Poptop. They made Tropico and Railroad Tycoon 2/3 as well as some other stuff before merging with something or other...

MirrorIrorriM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2010, 02:47:46 pm »

-Looking Glass (Terra Nova, Thief),

Wait what?  Looking Glass went under?  Aww man  :'(

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2010, 02:56:26 pm »

Definitely Troika, all it really took for me to miss them was Vampire. Also, it kinda feels a bit like Square Enix is now a publisher, or at least a better publisher than developer. Microprose, Bullfrog, Blackisle, Maxis. In general though, I tend to miss franchises more than companies, especially since square managed to screw over the Mana series past Legend of Mana.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2010, 02:59:59 pm »

Bullfrog: Dungeon Keeper, Genewars, Populous, Powermonger, Syndicate (+Wars), Theme Park, Theme Hospital
:( they don't make em like that any more....

There are other I miss too, Looking Glass and Bitmap Brothers spring to mind but nothing that such a large set of my early favourites.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2010, 03:02:23 pm »

Creature labs. That is quite possibly the biggest reason I've no gone past XP.

I also miss Squaresoft and Enix being apart. Both made gems pretty standardly, and when they got together for a few beers....

And they did this at the rate of two game companies, rather than the one they do now.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2010, 03:03:38 pm »

Westwood, Bullfrog and Clover.
 :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 03:25:35 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2010, 03:06:39 pm »

Definitely Troika, all it really took for me to miss them was Vampire. Also, it kinda feels a bit like Square Enix is now a publisher, or at least a better publisher than developer. Microprose, Bullfrog, Blackisle, Maxis. In general though, I tend to miss franchises more than companies, especially since square managed to screw over the Mana series past Legend of Mana.
god the mana series can be a awesome game if they could have fix the story better, WTF YOU MEAN I CAN'T USE THE SWORD, I FUCKING CLEANED IT UP AND POWERED IT AND ALL I CAN DO IS SLASH IT AROUND?!?!?

Pita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2010, 03:17:43 pm »

Definitely Bullfrog and Black Isle/Troika.

And as far as companies that have turned into something quite different: Bungie?

How did the mac-lovin' Bungie end up developing a xbox exclusive title? How did that even happen? But, just reading their wikipedia article... Seems like the halo/bungie saga is about to end? I wonder what they'll do now?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2010, 03:24:40 pm »

Interplay/Black Isle/Troika (Fallout, Earthworm Jim, Stonekeep), Bullfrog (Magic Carpet), old Maxis (Pre-Sims Sim games), Westwood (Command and Conquer), and of course the old Sonic Team.

P.S. Pita, digging the avatar. Shining Force FTW!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2010, 03:25:58 pm »

Troika <3

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2010, 03:26:33 pm »

Bullfrog(DK is one of my favorite series, and Theme hospital was great)
Creature Labs
Westwood
Sierra
Maxis
Free Radical Design(Timesplitters was amazing)
Pandemic
Apogee
Square
Enix
I'm adding quintet too because I have no idea what happened to them(Terranigma is one of my all time favs)
Neverland - What the hell Neverland, do a decent Lufia title already.  (I haven't tried the DS remake of II yet, I have mixed feelings on this)
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10