Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Gay shenanigans at the UN  (Read 11174 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: UN declares killing homosexuals acceptable
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2010, 07:24:28 pm »

But Hippy Commune doesn't have that "We have guns and will fucking kick your bigot ass" ring to it.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2010, 07:35:21 pm »

So where the hell is Jackrabbit, and why hasn't he edited this thread's title yet?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2010, 10:12:39 pm »

I'm going to be the devil's advocate and say that without language specifically banning discrimination for reason of sexual orientation, a member of the UN could discriminate by claiming homosexuality is considered a mental disease in their country and thus a perfectly legitimate reason to disbar someone from public office or some other 'human right' by reason of insanity.

I repeat; DEVIL'S ADVOCATE. Although it surely shatters presuppositions about my mindset, I do not particularly hate teh ghees.

Also I've drank about a coffee cup's worth of vodka. My fingertips tickle.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2010, 10:14:22 pm »

This just in, Nikov is a one drink Bisexual.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2010, 10:15:11 pm »

How you doin'.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2010, 10:17:09 pm »

*Finishes drink*

I am doing very well.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2010, 10:25:56 pm »

I repeat; DEVIL'S ADVOCATE. Although it surely shatters presuppositions about my mindset, I do not particularly hate teh ghees.

You do hate teh u n though, or at least you're really good at giving the impression of being a dismissive isolationist.  Any opportunity is a good opportunity to make them look the fool, right?

Besides, I suspect the U.N. stands for the rights of the insane as well.  I mean, just look at the people they invite to the podium.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2010, 10:28:11 pm »

[WORLDVIEW:BLACK_AND_WHITE:IS_SHATTERED]
[WORLDVIEW:GREY_RATIONALIST:NOT_SHATTERED]
I knew I made the right call in jumping the worldview ship.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2010, 10:36:13 pm »

Relax, besides the Security Council, the UN can do jack shit, give or take a penny. UN membership means: you can vote on suggestions which you do not need to follow as long as you listen to the Security Council.

Also, someone asked about the US giving a negative vote and not a veto: The veto power is only in Security, where resolutions can do more than "urge", "suggest", "request", etc. As was said earlier, whatever resolution this was an amendment to could be ignored by anyone.

The beauty of the UN is that it looks like it gives everyone a fair share while it actually focuses power on Europe and developed nations. Sure, Bosnia and Herzegovina (sp?) can go on all they want in the SC, but it does nothing if the veto powers don't agree (i.e. Almost always)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2010, 10:57:36 pm »

UN's only role in the world is to determine what rules everyone should follow. It's got no power, only some influence. If it tried to have more power and push hard what it feels is right, it'd be seen like PETA. They've got their hands tied.

And don't be too surprised that the vote made it through. It was a vote. If anything, you should blame most of the world for being willing to see gays get killed.

"..a recognition that is crucial at a time when 76 countries around the world criminalise homosexuality.."
All the more proof that homosexual rights are only the beliefs of a minority of the world.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2010, 11:06:33 pm »

I do not particularly hate teh ghees.

As well you shouldn't.
Ghee is delicious.
I could kill for some ghee.
And some naan.
Dammit, why come I have only ciabatta?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2010, 11:42:24 pm »

You do hate teh u n though, or at least you're really good at giving the impression of being a dismissive isolationist.  Any opportunity is a good opportunity to make them look the fool, right?

Besides, I suspect the U.N. stands for the rights of the insane as well.  I mean, just look at the people they invite to the podium.

Why u hatin'?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2010, 12:41:37 am »

Why u n hatin'?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2010, 01:47:18 am »

Funny you can tell who is readding the thread and who is just reading the title.

Well, Jackrabbit's already been asked to change the title, but he doesn't believe the clarifying information anyway, so the thread's doomed to be a revolving door made of hardened shit.

I misread that as 'he doesn't believe in clarifying information' and was all set to go 'fair enough' but the truth is the title attracts people and also I'm lazy.

I saw something back on page 5 that looked like a good title. Quick, somebody throw me a line so I don't have to do any work besides pressing ctrl+c and ctrl+v.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 01:48:54 am by Jackrabbit »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2010, 04:41:30 am »

Gay shenanigans at the UN

There's your alternate title.  After all, we need clarity and honesty in our thread titles.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10