Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Loincloth challenge, 2010 edition  (Read 17502 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Loincloth challenge, 2010 edition
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 11:13:20 pm »

Blunt weapons are your worst enemy...no amount of armor can save you...I ALWAYS wrestle it away from them or do ANYTHING to make it so they can not hit you with the blunt weapon

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 11:23:12 pm »

The world of Buzong Ogusp, a dry harsh world full of arid deserts, rocky wastelands, craggy mountains and stagnant seas.  Born into this world was a strapping young lad named Ramet Quickmurdered.  The import of his name was not yet understood.

Ramet strides into the neighboring village one day, an iron greataxe on his back,  and announces his intent to make a name for himself as a bold adventurer.

Curses! Born into a peaceful land, it seems there is no adventure to be had here.

He decides to strike out north towards the mountains.  Where there are mountains there are goblins, kobolds and nameless abominations that climb up from fissures that lead deep down into the earth.  Surely adventure awaits for him there!

North and further north he wanders.  And yet everywhere in this land there is peace.  Or perhaps these people doubt his prowess??  Finally on the Flickering Steppes he comes across a great fortress made from blocks of green stone, where meets Bolli Uborxidel the lasher.

Impressed by Bolli's musculature, he asks him to join him on his quest for fame.  Bolli agrees, asking only that he be lead to death and glory!

Wandering further north, Ramet finds his way to yet another small hamlet.  Yet again, there are no quests for him to undertake for these wretchedly happy people!  After another two nights of this, he awakes the next morning to find that Bolli has left him, apparently having become impatient to meet his doom.

Distraught and bored, Ramet heads out again, towards the mountains, where doom awaits him.

Suddenly he is greeted by a howled, wordless challenge.  A Troll!  At last a chance for him to prove himself in battle, and become a seasoned warrior!

As the troll charges him, he cleanly sidesteps, and whirls around, his axe biting deep into the beast's upper arm!  Another quick blow bites into it's leg.  Clearly not prepared for this much resistance, the fell creature starts to flee, streaming turquoise blood behind him.   Ramet is unwilling to let the beast escape him and pursues him through the underbrush!

Cornered, the beast whirls around and prepares for a final desperate defense.  UNfortunately for Ramet, it makes a clumsy grab at his arm, and manages to catch his hand in a crushing grip.  Ramet's fingers crack like dry timber, overcomewith pain, he falls to the ground senseless.   He never wakes up.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:26:41 pm by Misterstone »

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 11:29:26 pm »

I think maybe you can tell from the bandit leader's title how badass he is.  So "boss" "ringleader" etc. are weak, "warlord" and so on are more skilled.  Does anyone think this might be the case?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 11:38:14 pm »

From experience I give that a tentative yes....ive had bosses and ringleaders that I killed in the heat of combat thinking I killed just another lackey...the handful of warlords Ive dealt with were definitely not a walk in the park

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 03:05:34 am »

Wait.. We're allowed to use weapons? I've been berserking everyone. Also, anyone else notice that in this version strangling someone makes them pass out immediately?
*Hugs*

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 03:32:17 am »

I think maybe you can tell from the bandit leader's title how badass he is.  So "boss" "ringleader" etc. are weak, "warlord" and so on are more skilled.  Does anyone think this might be the case?
I don't know, but the quality of their stuff is a good indicator.  A guy with zero quality equipment is probably a push over, and a goblin with all masterwork stuff has probably been kicking ass since world gen. 

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 03:49:29 am »

Wait.. We're allowed to use weapons? I've been berserking everyone. Also, anyone else notice that in this version strangling someone makes them pass out immediately?
It definitely depends on the creature. Most humanoids I could take down in two taps after the grab, but occasionally one would go a bit further or break the hold first and a night creature spouse wouldn't go down at all.

But yeah, for humanoids.. a strangle and then a kick to the head is about the fastest and most reliable kill that can be made. I personally enjoy strangling them while kicking them in the head, Zohan style!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 05:49:30 am »

Holy **** again! This adventurer is awesome!
After slaughtering his way, alone, through two gloom hags, two dusk horrors, and three moster consorts, Omgok Boyorgans (*sigh*) was sent to slay an Ettin. The Lord said what an honour it'd be if he too some soldiers along, so Omgok looked them over... They all seemed horribly overdressed to Omgok, clad only in his loincloth and backpack, and several gallons worth of assorted kinds of blood.
Eventually he chose Ilosp Gikicitu as his companion, his brother in battle, and set off to find the Ettin.
Well... I have to say, Ettins are damned tough! Poor Omgok, never the most mentally stable of barbarians, was horribly scarred by his companion's fate...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2010, 06:10:29 am »

SO out of curiosity (and because I am totally jumping on this bandwagon), what are the Attributes that are/aren't "trainable"? I know Agility goes up with Wrestling, what else can you increase. What are you stuck with?

The wiki is a useful source for what they do, but not how to raise them. My strongman Fezzik wants a training montage!

Also, reading this thread I haven't noticed a rule for/against using stealth. What is the policy on playing a princess mononoke, who jumps out of nowhere and mauls whole caravans?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2010, 07:27:31 am »

I recall that recuperation and disease resistance cannot be trained. It's probably unchanged for later versions. Other than that, it seems that training a skill also trains attributes it is connected to. See "Skills by Soul Attribute" at the end of the article. Dunno about what physical attributes match which skills though, but this should be more intuitive than with soul attributes.

It should also be relatively easy to test. Just set PHYS_ATT_RATES and MENT_ATT_RATES to something like 50:NONE:NONE:NONE for all attributes and you'll see more increases and be better able to compare them with respective skill increases:
Quote from: the wiki
PHYS_ATT_RATES:#:#:#:#:#
MENT_ATT_RATES:#:#:#:#:#
# ATTRIBUTE Token
# cost to improve
# unused counter rate
# rust counter rate
# demotion counter rate
Attribute gain/decay rates. Defaults for are 500:2:3:2, except for RECUPERATION and DISEASE_RESISTANCE that don't have change rates. The last three slots may be replaced by NONE

My experience is consistent with this - raising swimming yielded willpower, raising ambushing yielded spatial sense. Shooting and throwing yielded focus. It is noticeable, though extremely slow (I did not change the rates).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 07:33:56 am by Murphy »

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2010, 08:46:16 am »

Totally on
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2010, 10:08:22 am »

Jumping on the bandwagon too, with a series of adventurers. Not for the competition, but for the !!fun!! of it!

The first one traveled down a river for one day, fell asleep and was struck down by an ambush in an instant.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:14:06 am by NewSheoth »
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2010, 10:14:35 am »

I think I can be considered to be cheating.

Lahde Teossakki (Lahde Tomemob - Nord axeman), and his Nordic loincloth, have wandered  into a cursed castle. Every night while he sleeps, it fills with 35 (or so?) sleeping "keeper" wrestlers. Every morning he wakes along side them, fights for his life, and adds 35 new kills to his kill list. Aside from the mad dozen in the keep, he manages to take ears from most of them.

...then the next night, the corpses mysteriously vanish, and he is faced with 35 new wrestlers the next morning.

What is interesting is that the town that practically shares a tile with the castle? They still love him.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2010, 10:35:07 am »

That was fast. Mighty Skullcrusher who strangled a wolf into unconsciousness, bit off his ear and then punched his skull through his brain was ganged by one lasher and one pikeman boss.

Going to make Skullcrusher II.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2010, 11:05:31 am »

The adventures of Choppa Portalstaves, the naked axedwarf, are going fairly well. He's naked because he didn't have a loincloth when he started. He's superdwarvenly agile, though, so that's not much of a problem and his nuts are safe. He has an iron battle axe and a bronze shield and uses his clothes and the spare dagger as thrown weapons. He also collects all loot and uses it in throwing. He's downed two night creature spouses so far, one with a goblin drunk at his side and one with a legendary female maceman he stumbled upon after the first quest and who was too tempting to miss. The first night creature thingy got its ribs smashed by his trousers...

Sadly, it didn't last. He didn't want to try to kill the stupidly strong bandit chieftain, so he went to seek some night creatures and found them. Unfortunately, they proved to be stronger than him.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:25:21 am by NewSheoth »
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10