Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Loincloth challenge, 2010 edition  (Read 17492 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Loincloth challenge, 2010 edition
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2010, 11:50:55 am »

Lahde Tomemob listened to the villagers cheering outside. They were celebrating the end of their curse. It had been whispered far and wide that glory would come to whoever could spend a day and night in Doorowls castle. Well he had spent a day and night in doorowls, and all he'd had to do was fight some puny Keepers. They weren't so tough. Not when you had an axe. All you needed was an axe. he had more than that! He had a loincloth! And a cape! The villagers had insisted. Something about "decency". If it helped him win glory from this cursed hole, he would wear them. But it was beginning to creep into Tomemob's mind that nothing could ever be won, here. No glory was to be had.

That first night had turned into two. The second day he had arisen refreshed in the keep, only to find his enemies reanimated for another day! No. That couldn't be right. It must be new Keepers, sent to avenge the old. These ones still had their ears! He added their ears to his bag. And then, after fetching food and drink from the townspeople, Lahde bedded down in the keep once more, to dream of battle, and foul monsters, and half-dead beetle-things dripping pus around the castle.

Then the two nights turned into three, for once again as Lahde rose with the sun, so did a host of keepers. Once again they were asleep in the castle with him! He made short work of them. and added their ears to his growing collection.

And then a week. Seven days he had been at his grim work, cutting the ears from the Keepers, sleeping in this keep to claim it as his own. Foul dreams plagued his nights, and he was beginning to see figures from them during the day,  parading through the stairwells of Doorowls, clawing at him, barring his way. Skeletal carapaces of long-dead ant nests. Empty beetle-husks crawling behind him. Zombie corpses of fearsome Deep Ones stalking him as he mowed through Keeper after Keeper after Keeper.

There was no end to the host of Keepers, the battle could never be won, and he could swear he had beetle ichor dripping from his axe.

On the 10th day, The townspeople looked on in dismay as Lahde Tomemob exited the keep, three brace of ears between his teeth. He was muttering over the furry ears, though no one could tell what it was he said. None got close enough. He did not stop at the shops, nor pause longer than it took to spit out the keeper ears and take a long drink from the brook. The water of the brook was smeared over with beetle ichor after he touched it.

Then he marched off into the woods. At dusk. No one thought it wise to try and tell him of the bogeymen that came out at night. Let him find out for himself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2010, 01:29:24 pm »

Is this haunted fortress stuff from a mod?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2010, 01:34:27 pm »

I think it's a bug. AN AWESOME ONE!!!
*Hugs*

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2010, 01:49:53 pm »

Damn! i was just done getting used to Genesis! and now my grandma shows up to take me to her house! He-Man will be done eventually though!

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2010, 03:19:24 pm »

My first try at this challenge Wronk Gutripper just ended with 7 ears, about 10 kills and 2 arrows stuck in his body. He was killed by a lucky soldier who slammed his shield into Wronk's brain. He was all wrestler, striker and dodger but unfortunately I could not find out how to actually rip guts. :D
The more interesting information is though: you don't need to cover your body when you travel in freezing wheather. I traveled long distances over glaciers with only loincloth and socks/sandals and no sign of any freezing injuries.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2010, 03:46:24 pm »

Excellent, bare chestedness rules supreme then.  In earlier versions that feature functioned, so it was easy to freeze to death.

You can grab guts only if they have been exposed due to the abdomen being sliced open.  >:)

Right now my lasher warrior woman is stuck in a muddy pit.  She appeared in there magically when the bogeymen showed up (she was right outside of town, and could have probably made it to safety).  Anyway, she's stuck int he pit.  For a while she threw mud at the bogeymen on the edge of the pit.  A couple of times the mud caused them to dodge and fall into the pit, at which point she would pounce on them and slowly bash them to death with her whip.  The problem is, she still cant "T"ravel away because the bogeymen are still about.  So I guess I have to pace back and forth (practice ambushing) for many hours until the sun rises?  I WILL be able to leave, right?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2010, 03:47:47 pm »

Yeah, you should be good.
*Hugs*

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2010, 03:49:09 pm »

The nice thing about this is that I at least got to practice my fighting skills and level them up while the pit fight went on.  I am a bit beat up right now though...

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2010, 03:50:17 pm »

Excellent, bare chestedness rules supreme then.  In earlier versions that feature functioned, so it was easy to freeze to death.

You can grab guts only if they have been exposed due to the abdomen being sliced open.  >:)

Right now my lasher warrior woman is stuck in a muddy pit.  She appeared in there magically when the bogeymen showed up (she was right outside of town, and could have probably made it to safety).  Anyway, she's stuck int he pit.  For a while she threw mud at the bogeymen on the edge of the pit.  A couple of times the mud caused them to dodge and fall into the pit, at which point she would pounce on them and slowly bash them to death with her whip.  The problem is, she still cant "T"ravel away because the bogeymen are still about.  So I guess I have to pace back and forth (practice ambushing) for many hours until the sun rises?  I WILL be able to leave, right?

Guess so. Unless some other hostile thingy comes around. You can also try to get to the tile touching the edge but on the bottom of the pool if there's a boogeyman on it, and kill it dead.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2010, 04:37:03 pm »

A'ight, let's do this. Human Outsider up in this bitch!

Huh. Started out in an Elven town that's at war with nearby humans. Got a quest to kill said humans. I hope this doesn't negatively impact my relationship with the humans; I'd much rather slaughter some elves.

Wow... Outsiders start off extra manly, huh?

Edit:

Well, that was quick.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:45:53 pm by Haus Party »

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2010, 04:52:44 pm »

Maybe you were raised elf?

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2010, 04:56:44 pm »

So... right now I have an axeman bro here who has lost a food and his axe (not smart enough to pick it up again).  I think I can elect to save his life by retiring... but I am not sure if it will have negative effects on my lasher chick character.  Will I lose equipment, fame or have stats degrade if I retire and then play again with the same character?

SolPyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2010, 05:22:53 pm »

Decent bling is hard to find, so far the best ive found is a goblin tooth ring and a mule bone bracelet
Quote from: Neil Gaiman
George R.R. Martin is not your b****.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2010, 05:52:37 pm »

For my first TRUE try of Adventure mode I am doing this...

So far I have worked out how to remove my armour so I only have loincloth, gloves, boots and helm on. Only could work out to DROP my shield then pick it back up for selling. And have gone through 20 or so Fools. 2 have died to the bolt to the face by bandit quest the rest on Boogeymen on the way back from the camp to announce my success. I now have a Bone Doctor following me, and am attempting to work out how I can get him to take the Pike and shield I found...

EDIT:: And how to open a bag that contains some new gloves and boots so I can put them on...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:55:06 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2010, 06:02:21 pm »

Pick up the bag and (r)emove the items. The doctor can't equip the pike and shield. You can't equip companions.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10