Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 28313 times)

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rift: Planes of Telara
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 08:43:27 pm »

Well, sounds like there's no question to me about Guild Wars 2 or Rift, with GW2 no having subscription fees, and the base game is only gonna cost 50 or 60 dollars, while this is gonna cost 50 and a sub.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2011, 08:48:33 pm »

You're making the milking machine sad. But worry not, with GW2 you have to pay another 50 bucks every 6 months.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2011, 04:22:21 pm »

I found a funny thread on mmorpg.com about Rift and mmos in general  :D

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/431/view/forums/thread/305451/CLONE.html

here are the pictures, stolen for posterity (but i recommend reading the thread for better comprehension):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2011, 11:44:56 am »

I'm gonna say, going from both the tutorials and an hour or 2 in... doesn't seem so bad...  That is about as far as I got into it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2011, 03:06:46 pm »

Yeah and I've heard that the 1-10 experience in general is less appealing, or at least a little bit watered down, especially with regards to the rifts. I'm looking forward to playing around with it more this weekend.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2011, 03:14:32 pm »

So it gets better?  Cool then, guess I'll dig deeper with Urist... Warlord/Champion/Paladin Dwarf in the next beta run...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2011, 08:20:15 pm »

Open beta starts Feb 15th for anyone still interested. I've got myself pre-ordered and trying to find a good guild to get in with before launch.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2011, 09:13:27 pm »

just crazy to me that MMOs fly out the door at 14.95 a month, maybe Rift will be less who knows..all I do know is that love it or hate it, WoW is the only game worth 15 a month because the amount of demand (aka basic economy supply vs demand)..all the rest of the mmos, and most especailly those in serious trouble like age of conan, need to lower the damn price or go f2p with item shops.

Rift is going to have to be just overwlemingly badass to move me to open my wallet, but I will try to take the open beta out for a whirl just for the hell of it.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2011, 10:07:12 pm »

just crazy to me that MMOs fly out the door at 14.95 a month, maybe Rift will be less who knows..all I do know is that love it or hate it, WoW is the only game worth 15 a month because the amount of demand (aka basic economy supply vs demand)..all the rest of the mmos, and most especailly those in serious trouble like age of conan, need to lower the damn price or go f2p with item shops.

Rift is going to have to be just overwlemingly badass to move me to open my wallet, but I will try to take the open beta out for a whirl just for the hell of it.

I agree with you really. A large number of games release at 15 per month and it hurts. However, I did enjoy the WoW comfy slippers feel, and Rift really brings that back for me. I'd like to get another WoWish game from the start, and I think this is a good chance for it.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2011, 02:52:37 am »

I agree with you really. A large number of games release at 15 per month and it hurts. However, I did enjoy the WoW comfy slippers feel, and Rift really brings that back for me. I'd like to get another WoWish game from the start, and I think this is a good chance for it.

I disagree with both of you. MMO’s and video games are insanely cheap entertainment. I am paying 15 a month for WAR (which is dying) right now. It isn’t the best game, definitely lacks the polish of WOW, but I am playing maybe 8 or so hours a week. That is 32 hours a month. That is .50 cents an hour.

I will say though, that NEW MMOs need to do a better job of giving free trials. If I missed the open beta for rift, there would be no way I’d pay for the game and hoping it was fun.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2011, 05:46:57 am »

Free trials are always a good thing

and

you may be proving the point, because WAR is 15 a month and WAR is dying..not to mention 15 is the top price for the most in-demand game, hence less in-demand games should cost less by basic economic tenements (Edit): WAR screwed itself for many reasons of course, but how can Mythic excuse charging this much per month when the damn classes were so massively unbalanced (not sure if they still are or not)? Reguardless of how much per hour it breaks down to, WAR, AOC, and all these others that are holding out should either drop price or go f2p because they failed to secure and keep broad sub bases for lots of reasons, maybe things would have been different if they charged less per month, maybe not.

at any rate, still hope that Rift is less than 15 a month, they can always raise it later, after they have a population on the hook. Screens look good, though the UI is a WoW rip for the most part. I like how much beta testing they are doing, makes sense considering how disastrous ultra-buggy releases are to mmos, which has been the kiss of death for many.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:09:01 am by jnecros »
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2011, 06:43:19 am »

I agree that mmos charge too much, i know that the french mmo dofus was a hit among teenagers a couple years ago because it was cheap and had a free trial zone.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2011, 10:21:55 am »

Ah Dofus, that brings me back...

I'll be on the open beta, most definitely. Might try out a cleric instead of the mage I've been playing.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2011, 11:21:10 am »

Grabbed the open beta only to find I'd been invited to every single closed beta since the second one. xD

Oh, well.

Is it any good?

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2011, 01:05:03 pm »

Open beta has just started. I'm on Sunrest RP-PvP. Can I suggest we join up and all go dwarf?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15