Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 28314 times)

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rift: Planes of Telara
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2011, 11:37:32 am »

j, get into game and try it out. :p

There's nothing tank-like about it. It's pure damage dealing.

Anyway, there's loads of bitching on the Rift forums about how little damage mages actually do.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2011, 11:39:57 am »

And, uh, that PvP map does have a bowl with a few trees in the center of it, but that's like 1/5 of the whole map, if that. I haven't played it myself, just watched others, though so I guess it might just be that people aren't smart enough to know that maybe they shouldn't necessarily just fight in the middle the whole time?

Edit: Just looked over that spec. I can see how you could shift some points to make it more tank-y but as it is it looks like there are just enough points to make survival easier in PvE stuff, especially since there does seem to be a bit of a lack of self-heals like you mentioned.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:43:27 am by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2011, 11:45:54 am »

Not that your not smart enough to not fight in the middle, you just cant escape the middle becuase the stupid artifact respawns in the center of the bowl..you will not live long enough to get out of the bowl without a premade group, becuase it would take too much effort and coordination for little gain imo..youd have to run right back in the center once the healers go down and the carrier dies..meh, maybe they will add new ones of fix this one.

Yeah, as soon as I get home I will roll one of these warriors and give it a spin..I need to find a good melee rogue build also just to test drive to lvl 10 and do some pvp with
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2011, 11:46:41 am »

If you're being hit with that build, you're doing it wrong. =/ I can understand why it'd be a trouble in PvP, but not in PvE.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2011, 12:07:44 pm »

By jah... its a trap, the 3rd sub-class.  It looks like you only get 66 points of distribution total...

Also.... how is 'power' management for the warrior class?  Lvl 1-9 and never been short on it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2011, 12:28:07 pm »

I don't think you have to worry too much about Energy or whatever it's called. I can get a bit drained when I'm fighting three or so enemies at once, but that's about the only situation when something like that happens.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2011, 12:53:44 pm »

Lvl 1-9 and never been short on it.

I think they're going with a model similar to WoW where your health and mana/energy/whatever recharge really quickly at "newbie" levels and get slower as levels increase. I feel like making energy really limiting would be bad for how a warrior class should work, though.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2011, 12:58:08 pm »

Lvl 1-9 and never been short on it.

I think they're going with a model similar to WoW where your health and mana/energy/whatever recharge really quickly at "newbie" levels and get slower as levels increase. I feel like making energy really limiting would be bad for how a warrior class should work, though.
Mostly wondering if its useless or not to get the +energy/mana skills... it looks like you get a ton of skills to spam...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2011, 01:40:41 pm »

By the by, if you're all looking for a more traditional warrior build, this might be it: Reaver/Voidknight at lvl 25.

Should give you some decent tanking abilities, too.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2011, 01:42:16 pm »

Yeah I don't really know. Mana wasn't much of an issue for my mage until level 10-12 and then I got the warlock health->mana spell and chloromancer heals, so I kind of short-circuited the system a bit. I did accidentally make a build that burned through mana around level 15, but once I moved around some points to get mana regen talents and that warlock spell the problems went away. I don't know if the situation would be similar for other classes.

Edit: Thanks for the links to that site, too. I've been meaning to look for something like that to play around with and kept forgetting.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 01:45:12 pm by Bluerobin »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2011, 02:51:27 pm »

By the by, if you're all looking for a more traditional warrior build, this might be it: Reaver/Voidknight at lvl 25.

Should give you some decent tanking abilities, too.
Definitely has the death knight feel to it, far from a traditional warrior build in my opinion, probably cause of its self-sustaining life leech.  As it is, DPS... and as an off-tank.
Grisly Works on the Reaver, it seems to be more in line with PvE then it is PvP.
Overall, not impressed, but that those 2 sub-classes never caught my attention...

Champion/Paladin up to lvl 25 
This is a build-up to being a tank.  Starting out as a DPS player for the first buncha levels.  Can basically use any weapon you please till you start getting into the sword and shield phase.

The champion stuff gets you up to lvl 21, then you start on getting into the paladin stuff.

Here is a few reasonings behind it:
1) Don't Make Me Angry, as the tank, I'm the one getting critted, hence, I'm the one doing more hurting thanks to that.
2) Lingering Wounds, 'my target' cannot be healed as effectively.  Traditionally, people gang up on a single target.  This helps.
3) Ruthless Pursuit, I'm not sitting this fight out.  Paladin gets Paladin's Devotion, effectively the same.  Except for confusion and root.  Less crowd control on me.
4) Blitz, I'm going to be in your face.   Later on, Paladin gets Shield Charge.  I'll be in your face twice as much!  I can even use it to gtfo AOE attacks and come back in a jiffy.
5) Champion skills make better use of 'Attack Points'.

Yea...  it works out in my head.  *Nods to self*
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:06:28 pm by Zangi »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2011, 03:02:04 pm »

I like the creativity that I feel could come out of this system. I was just building a healer/buffer and got about halfway through before I fully realized I'd been doing it as a mage (Chloromancer/Archon was what I was going with). I mean I had started with that in mind, but I kind of got distracted by how legitimately useful it seemed like it could be. On the other hand, when I played a chloromancer in past beta events I found myself being targeted a lot. I was mainly healing as a chloromancer during invasion events, and I imagine healing 10 people at once and healing mainly when I'm doing damage probably attracts monster attention pretty quickly...

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2011, 03:03:54 pm »

Yeah, Zangi, it's meant to be more of a levelling / grinding build. It'd probably work as a tank in low level instances, too.

Really, it'd be better to drop Champion for levelling and just go Riftblade in that case. Champion doesn't do that much damage compared to the unscaling Riftblade. Also, you kinda forgot to save the link from your build and instead linked to mine. :p

I like the creativity that I feel could come out of this system. I was just building a healer/buffer and got about halfway through before I fully realized I'd been doing it as a mage (Chloromancer/Archon was what I was going with). I mean I had started with that in mind, but I kind of got distracted by how legitimately useful it seemed like it could be. On the other hand, when I played a chloromancer in past beta events I found myself being targeted a lot. I was mainly healing as a chloromancer during invasion events, and I imagine healing 10 people at once and healing mainly when I'm doing damage probably attracts monster attention pretty quickly...

It's weird, but the "best" class-types seem to be the ones outside the primary role. Clerics are probably best at tanking at the minute, rogues are best at healing, warriors are best at ranged DPS and mages are best at... Errr... Crowd control?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2011, 03:07:33 pm »

Yeah it looks like dominators get a LOT of crowd control and if you mixed that in with the fears and debuffs from warlocks you'd probably be able to keep 3 or 4 mobs distracted easily with a burst or two of crowd control to distract 5 or so more.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2011, 03:18:01 pm »

Pshaw at the riftblade.  (Even though its skill set is pretty good.)  I'm just more of a melee person.

Also fixed...  here and in previous post, I think.
Champion/Paladin up to lvl 25 

And the cleric Justicar build.... is so easy to make right...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15