Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 28294 times)

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
Re: Rift: Planes of Telara
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 08:55:09 pm »

a 7.5 GB download and no pause option?

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 09:53:50 pm »

Defiant are the techno-mages. I'm on... Shadefallen. PvE RP. Because I'm a nerd like that.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:58:44 pm by Rabek Jeris »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2011, 09:59:31 pm »

a 7.5 GB download and no pause option?

You can just close the downloader and it resumes where it left off next time.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 10:15:43 pm »

I've played in the beta 5, got to lvl 17 on a mage, and so far my impressions are mixed. The core of the game isn't much different from any other MMO out there, the quests have a generic feel, etc..

But i'm still curious about this game. Maybe because i've only played it for a day. The public quests are interesting at first, but get old quickly. Let's just say that after you've done the same rift/invasion/etc.. 3-4 times in a couple hours, you get a feeling of the futility of your actions. I still havent touched the crafing system except for some very low level mining, but i heard it wasnt great.

My main complaint about the game would be the fact that you get aggroed easily when moving around for your quests, and since i'm a squishy mage, i can't really ignore it and have to fight lots of useless battles. Also, If you die, you have a fair chance of being aggroed when you repop near you body (because you can't see where mobs are), and to die again because you'll have only half HP and no buffs (and in my case, no earth elemental bodyguard).

Anyway, i think i'll go play some more, since the beta 5 will only last a couple days. But i honestly don't know if i'll be interested in playing it again when it goes live.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 10:17:16 pm »

Just got accepted to the beta.  I'll probably join a PVP server because I loves krumpin gitz.
Shoes...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 08:00:47 am »

Lvl 14 mage, playing on PvP-RP (cause I'm srs nerd AND badass) and I'm quitting already. It's like wow (like most of em out there), but the storyline doesn't interest me at all (I just click accept on every quest and then read just the objectives). And what Sirian says, the whole "dynamic world" thing is just scripted events that happen once in a while. Fun for once, not for 5 times in a row.

Maybe great for WoW-ppl who want to try something slightly different.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 10:25:39 am »

I've got a level 9 mage on PvE (Deepwood I think?) and it does remind me of WoW, but the character advancement feels almost like city of heroes/champions online since you get to choose which 3 souls (basically subclasses) to use simultaneously within your calling ("main" class; warrior, rogue, mage, priest). I quite like it, but I'm also a fan of WoW, so... yeah. The story tends to be what keeps me in a game and so far I think I like the story, we'll see how it goes.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2011, 10:30:54 am »

I tried a bit more, doing some crafting and PvP, it wasnt exactly bad, but nothing i've never seen before. In the end, its just another game where you do lots of quests, kill lots of creatures, try to get better and better items, and gain more and more levels.
It's quite well done, i've never crashed or anything, i only saw a couple things that werent translated or badly translated (i play with the french client), and all in all i can say that the game is at least on the same level as all its competitors in terms of content quality.

But it isnt very original.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 10:35:23 am »

Oh, the quality is good. Especially for a beta. But they know damn well that a beta with bugs is really bad for your sales... Open beta's are like demos for MMO's. They're going to have a hard time balancing all those skilltrees, though...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 10:51:15 am »

Heh, my housemates' bro is a beta tester. It looked alright, not really my cup of tea though. Looked very wow-esque (as I am sure others have noted).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2011, 11:45:57 am »

Thanks for that beta key. I jumped in and played for 10 minutes, then promptly uninstalled. I know I didn't give the game a fair chance but when i got the first "kill 5 x" quest i got a sick feeling in my stomach. I also read lots of responses to this game and from my first impression it is much too similar to WoW. It looks to be a well made game, but not unique or complex enough to hold my interest these days. Certainly could be fun for those who haven't had enough of this sort of thing yet. I know I enjoyed WoW for a good long stretch.
I got nothing

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2011, 02:06:33 pm »

To each their own I guess. Personally I'm loving the whole rift system as an addition to PvE and I loooove the class system. Playing a level 17 Ranger/Marksman/Riftstalker on Shadefallen (PvE-RP).

Edit: Holy crap I thought they were just Lovecraft-esque, the Water-plane monsters..but then I ran into actual Deep Ones named such.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 02:57:33 pm by Tilla »

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2011, 03:06:03 pm »

I'm installing it right now so I can give it a play before this marketing beta ends. My expectations are fairly low. I do not like WoW for more than a couple weeks every year, so this may not be of interest to me anyway.

Appreciate the opportunity to try it, though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2011, 04:22:32 pm »

I'm Gamzee the Dominator/Warlock/Necromancer on some PvP server, I don't remember which.  It's okay.  The invasions are presumably pretty cool, I wasn't high enough to participate but apparently the Gedlo or whatever smashed up the college and stuff.
Shoes...

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2011, 07:21:56 pm »

This beta got extended into the weekend now, good times :D I didn't want it to go away.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15