Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210872 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile

I feel really lucky after this update. My best tank is the basic M4 Sherman. Now they add sweet a new tank right in front of my current one in tech :D. And now it also lets me choose if I want to switch to M6 and heavy tanks afterward. Which mean I can sell my old M3 Lee and never bother to drive the imo horrendous T1 HT. Apart from the American tanks I also own the SU-26 tier 3 Russian SPG.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile

I feel really lucky after this update. My best tank is the basic M4 Sherman. Now they add sweet a new tank right in front of my current one in tech :D. And now it also lets me choose if I want to switch to M6 and heavy tanks afterward. Which mean I can sell my old M3 Lee and never bother to drive the imo horrendous T1 HT. Apart from the American tanks I also own the SU-26 tier 3 Russian SPG.

The T1 HT is actually a good tank, decent speed, armor and HP, WG also did a overhaul on its' turning rate.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The T1 HT is actually a good tank, decent speed, armor and HP, WG also did a overhaul on its' turning rate.

I dont know. The HT does have nice frontal armor for its tier, but the side armor is terrible (You can penetrate and nearly 1-shot a T1 with the 105mm derp thats available in tanks as low as tier 3). The gun does not hold up against tier 6+ heavies and 7+ mediums, and the speed is largely useless since it's not enough to fulfill the role of a medium. You will want to commit seppuku when you face off against the KV, a heavy of the same tier, with its 300 damage/167 pen cannon and all-around good armor.

Personally, if I get a heavy, it better be a goddamn heavy. I don't want any jack-of-all-trades heavy or mediums. That's part of the reason the Russian IS and German VK3601 let me down; a medium masquerading as a heavy and a heavy masquerading as a medium. In the meantime, you have tanks that actually fulfill their roles, like the KV-3 and T20.

Anywho, I am pretty far into the game. I have multiple tier 8s, tons of tier 6/7s, and a couple tier 5s. I love it because of how pick up and go it is, without being overly simplistic and taking no skill to play. I can just start it up and run a match, and nothing is binding me to play another. The grinding is the fun kind of grind for the most part, but it does get monotonous and I wish there was more to do.

Edit: Now for some gloating!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:26:02 pm by Rex_Nex »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ye gods this game is fun. Is there a Bay12 clan formed yet?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile

I've bought the Jumbo Sherman and I'm having a blast. It's so refreshing to drive something that can take a hit after grinding out 30000 exp in the M4. The Jumbo's frontal armor although thinner than in real life(for balance reasons) is still thicker than that of a German Tiger and is so tough it can bounce off tier 8 tank shots quite regularly. I love to imagine the expression a IS-3 or Tiger II player has when his 1000 quid a pop ammo bounces off a Shermans frontal armor :D. Shaving a few hull % off of those super heavy tanks with the 105mm miniderp howitzer just adds insult to injury.

Despite lacking a good armor penetrating gun the jumbo is really fun to play. Probably the most fun tank I've driven so far. I know I'm never selling this one since tier 6 is very good for making money.

I'm on the tech tree crossroad and I'll have to decide whether to go for medium tanks or heavies. The T20 medium tank will be much more squishy than the Jumbo but to get to the T29 heavy tank that I want I'll have to grid a lot in the abysmal M6. I'll probably go for the heavies but that M6 is going to be a painful grind. Heavy tanks get worse matchmaking opponents and the M6's guns won't be able to scratch tier 7 until I invest 9000 experience into a 90mm cannon.

@Rex_Nex 1st screen
Ahhh the GW Panther. That and the GW Tiger are probably the coolest looking artillery SPGs. I fear investing too must into getting some high tier arty though. The further up the tech tree you go the more the rate of fire drops. Near the end you are getting a maximum of 2 shots a minute with arty. To me that feels like a lot of time spent in spectator mode :P. Although being albe to 1-shot anything on the map is nice. Too bad there is no late game equivalent to rapid fire low tier artillery like the SU-26.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:37:32 am by Toady Two »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ye gods this game is fun. Is there a Bay12 clan formed yet?
No, but I wish there was. Someone really ought to think about making one!

@Toady Two: The thing about the American Heavies is that they don't get much better after the T29. As godly as the T29 is, the T32, T34, and T30 are all a bit lacking. The T30, the American T10, only has 102mm of frontal armor. For an example of how pathetic that is, the Tier 3 Marder II would have no trouble penetrating.

Of course, all T7+ American Heavies have very nice cannons and an indestructible turret, but... the hull never gets any better.

As for SPGs, I feel the same way. That's why I wont go any higher then my GW Panther. I still have the benefit of being able to launch off enough rounds per match to effect a lot of people while still having pretty great (1,200) damage. If you're going to try out a SPG, I recommend going from the Panzer 4 to the Hummel (Which is a very great SPG) to the GW Panther (Which is hands down the best tier 6). The GW Panther has a half-turret allowing it to pretty much have 80% of the map aimable without turning, very good accuracy, a decent RoF and a respectable ~600 average damage a shot.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So long as it's free to do and doesn't require craptons of admin work all the time, I'll make one. Is there a Bay 12 channel up? If not, how do I create one :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its not free, unfortunately :X, it costs a bit of gold.

To make a channel, go to your garage and hit the Channels button, then just click Create Channel.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In that case I most likely wont be making the clan :P However, I will make the channel in a bit.

Edit: Channel is up, search for "Bay 12"
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:30:08 am by Chattox »

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Imagine this: You are a T7 artillery in a T10 match on Phoparovka in a platoon with 2 of your buddies. You see a T95 drive past you, on his way to the forest road. You say to him "go to e2 idiot td". He replies "shut up". Meanwhile, the only member of your team who isn't still at your base, an IS-3 that went to the town just spotted an avalanche of mediums coming down the hill and even the enemy T30 and his platoon mate E-75 moving through the town and dutifully calls out the wealth of targets bearing down on your unprotected flank.

Who do you shoot?

If the answer was
, you are a pubbie.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...Wut?

Another unrelated T95? Other then the one on your team? Hell yes you should shoot him instead of those mediums. Unless that T95 is clearly already fucked, hardly anyone but arty can damage him anyway. Couple that with T95's having a flat roof (Allowing easy 1-hit kills) and insane damage, and you would have to be mentally insane to NOT fire at it.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As in, "the second T95 on your team because you forgot which one you were angry at".
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah. I've had that happen. Wasn't an arty and I wasn't a T95, but...

Anyway, after nearly 24 hours of grinding.... IS4!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for the bump, but I got bored, so here is my progress so far :P

Words of Wisdom:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 04:52:02 am by Rex_Nex »

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile