Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 917 918 [919] 920 921 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2370825 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #13770 on: January 17, 2015, 08:51:29 pm »

The slaver's space ship had only crashed five days ago; three survivors were left on the planet: Quickeye, a marksman working in the security corps, Urist, a mining slave en route to a slave world, and finally, Cacame, an enslaved farmer headed for a midworld. For five days, things had gone well. Quickeye, recognizing that profits would have to suffer in exchange for survival, allowed the other two to be free. A farm had been put together, much of the wildlife had been hunted down, and steel was found in the mountains. A rudimentary power grid was set up. All told, things were going well.
It was then Quickeye stumbled across a building, filled with cryotubes from god knows when. Curiosity getting the better of her, she quickly undid the latch on one. At once, all of them hissed to life, opening to reveal a number of soldiers, clad in armor with guns already in their hands. Terrified, Quickeye fumbled for her rifle, but it was too late. In seconds, they opened fire, killing her on the spot.
The soldiers headed west, to the settlement. Urist was tinkering with a heater, while Cacame was tending to a crop of potatoes. Cacame noticed them first, and ran for the pistol that'd landed with them. She fired off a few shots, taking out the leader, but was soon down as well. Urist was executed, not even putting up a fight. And so ended the survivor's camp; a load of rubble left behind for the Loyal's Mesa to stumble across, when their trading caravan arrived.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13771 on: January 18, 2015, 06:32:26 am »

I had a similar experience... cryotubes are fairly unforgiving from the one time I've opened them. I dug into the mountainside, and came across a small clearing in the middle, where I could grow crops easily. From there, I noticed the cryotubes lurking in the background, and chance opening them. On the bright side, I found a lot of surviving, friendly colonists. There was but one problem.

Megascarabs began pouring out of the tubes in a small horde as well.

My just-barely-starting-out colony didn't stand a chance.

What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13772 on: January 18, 2015, 12:26:13 pm »

Trying to scramble to protect the Jungle since I noticed that containment was both inadaquate and had subsequently failed, on BOTH sides of the Jungle. Crimson on one side, and Hallow on the other. Trying to widen the containment tube(why it failed - it was only 2 tiles wide), I see a giant tortoise below me. I climb further up to rain sparkly crystal magic spam on it, and it somehow had a rocket in its ass when it did a flying flip-jump at me, ripping me in two. Seriously, I'm trying to save your biome, and you kill me? Mind you, I'm only saving your jungle so I can use it as a hunting ground when I've got god-tier nuclear weaponry, but still.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13773 on: January 18, 2015, 01:06:09 pm »

You can, given a certain event and a certain NPC.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13774 on: January 18, 2015, 01:12:53 pm »

You can, given a certain event and a certain NPC.
I looked it up, but I tend to run the flying fuck away from my base during that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13775 on: January 18, 2015, 01:17:43 pm »

Trying to scramble to protect the Jungle since I noticed that containment was both inadaquate and had subsequently failed, on BOTH sides of the Jungle. Crimson on one side, and Hallow on the other. Trying to widen the containment tube(why it failed - it was only 2 tiles wide), I see a giant tortoise below me. I climb further up to rain sparkly crystal magic spam on it, and it somehow had a rocket in its ass when it did a flying flip-jump at me, ripping me in two. Seriously, I'm trying to save your biome, and you kill me? Mind you, I'm only saving your jungle so I can use it as a hunting ground when I've got god-tier nuclear weaponry, but still.

As far as I know, Hallow won't actively destroy the Jungle - the two biomes can overlap, for instance in one of my worlds (...actually, thinking about it, in several, but I've only paid attention to it in one), the Hallow has spread to all the stone blocks in the vicinity of the Jungle, but won't alter the mud/Jungle Grass blocks. This can be beneficial as any monsters slain in Hardmode where there's enough Hallow in the vicinity can drop the appropriate Souls/Key Molds. You can always clean out the Hallow later if desired.

However, the Crimson and Corruption will devour the Jungle if left unchecked for long enough (which is admittedly a very long time). You should probably focus your efforts on containing that side first.

Also, a further annoyance is that smashing a Demon Altar or Crimson altar can flip a random tiny area to Corruption/Crimson as appropriate, so even perfect containment is at risk when you start going after the Hardmode ores. Break all the altars you're going to first, then fix the Jungle once that's done - and check back occasionally to make sure there wasn't a little bit you missed.

Also, tortoises are overpowered. They have Turtle Shells as one of their drops, which suggests that they're powerful enough to kill a creature that isn't even in the game in order to take its stuff!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #13776 on: January 19, 2015, 03:19:56 am »

I brought about the robot revolution.

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13777 on: January 19, 2015, 04:51:07 am »

I brought about the robot revolution.

You got yourself killed by that? Huh.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13778 on: January 19, 2015, 04:55:06 am »

Normally I don't consider area 6 (labs) hard enough to bother specifically building for, but this time I had what turned out to be a comically bad setup for it: slugger and energy screwdriver.  I was pinged down by freaks until finally at one health I accidentally attacked a giant mutant with the screwdriver when he was not quite on my snare.  He took a step forward, I took a step forward because melee weapon, and it was all over.

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13779 on: January 19, 2015, 05:57:46 am »

The colony was going smoothly. We had a robust power source, a multitude of automatic defenses and amenities, heated and cooled rooms as the time required, and even some rather large hydroponics labs.

Fire fell from the sky, and the droning sounded. A shrill, soul piercing sound, if it could be called that, that bored into your brain stem and cried out. Rallying my colonists to investigate, I instruct them to remove the source of this psychic agony: a rather large, unassuming pod that had crash landed not far from my main base.

Unbeknownst to me, it was still occupied. A massive centipede wielding a repeating laser rushed out from the pod, crushing the two nearby melee combatants in a single blow each, and scattering three more with wild bursts of laser fire.

Poor bastards didn't stand a chance.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #13780 on: January 19, 2015, 07:33:00 am »

You got yourself killed by that? Huh.
Well, uh, I wasn't a robot. I was a meatbag who made the sentient thinking robots that now threatened to overthrow all of humanity, but still a meatbag. Also through several choices I made I wound up with few options that didn't seem to end with death. I made the wrong choice and died.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13781 on: January 19, 2015, 01:09:11 pm »

Had The Destroyer where it couldn't touch me. Only the probes could really attack. Then a Wyvern showed up. Then another. Then ANOTHER.

Had Spasmatism down to about 1000HP. I needed to drop down a platform to reach my Heart Statue to heal, but for some reason couldn't get down the platform. By the time I could, Spas was flamethrowering the statue, so I fled into the air. Retinazer juggled me while Spasmatism burned me.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13782 on: January 19, 2015, 05:54:12 pm »

Drowned waiting for air bubble to pop up.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13783 on: January 19, 2015, 07:00:02 pm »

Tried to take on Brock with only two mons at level 9.

Pokemon Red.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13784 on: January 19, 2015, 07:06:14 pm »

Drowned waiting for air bubble to pop up.

Oh dear
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 917 918 [919] 920 921 ... 1575