Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2371463 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #11760 on: May 01, 2014, 01:53:27 pm »

Chasing Gary across the rooftop, I slip, and fall about 60 feet onto stairs. Facefirst.

The game felt it was more important to say the mission was a failure because Gary got away than be concerned about Jimmy's broken neck. Way to go, game priorities.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11761 on: May 01, 2014, 04:02:46 pm »

Augustus Caesar has an expansive nation across the northern half of the continent, but my smaller Germany has a slight tech advantage. Being the first to circumnavigate the world, I'm first to make contact with the other continent full of players. The rest of the world has a slight tech advantage over us, but in terms of military technology everyone's equal (except Augustus and Ghengis Khan, who either had a poor start or lost an early war.)

A world war erupts on the other continent as Ghengis Khan declares war on Franklin Roosevelt; Khan must have been pretty popular, because after the war has dragged on a bit and Roosevelt wins some minor victories the top three nations of the other continent all declare war on Roosevelt. Jao II of Portugal- big dog and tech leader of the world- asks me to join in on the dogpile, and happy to boost my relations with most of the continent I agree.

I already boast a solid navy and a decent army, so I put two and two together and ship them across the ocean to do battle with the Americans. A few bad things happen in quick succession:

1- The American Navy is larger than I had anticipated, and while I was able to land the full invasion force on a hill outside Washington DC a huge swarm of Caravels destroy most of my fleet, only a few wounded galleons managing to retreat from the battle. My army is stranded.

2- Mongolia, Portugal, and the Khmer all make peace with Roosevelt within a few turns of the landing. Experienced American troops begin pulling back from the front and pound my stack, slowly whittling it down.

3- Augustus Caesar must have done some wheeling and dealing when I wasn't looking, because he was suddenly the most powerful nation in the world. He declares war on me, with huge stacks of knights and grenadier descending on my underdefended cities while an unsuspected fleet of frigates smashes the remnants of my navy.

My biggest stack of Riflemen is stranded on the other side of the ocean being ground down by waves of macemen and war elephants, and only a few outdated soldiers remain on home soil. Though I manage to upgrade them to Riflemen and furiously draft half a dozen more, they are overrun by the sheer weight of Roman numbers.

I display the leadership abilities of Dan Quayle.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11762 on: May 01, 2014, 04:08:45 pm »

Any AI mod?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11763 on: May 01, 2014, 04:11:26 pm »

Nope; wasn't even playing any higher than Noble. I just got greedy.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11764 on: May 01, 2014, 04:26:13 pm »

I love that game, even if Ive never won a Deity game.  The ai mods make it even more impossible.
Augustus and I are historically early game buddies and late game rivals.

---

gah, Ogre Tactics pulls zero punches.  Was a mistake thinking I could slide a few levels of ninja onto my main character, as now he is the target for every OP attack the ai possesses.  And they possess those in large quantities.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #11765 on: May 01, 2014, 05:08:04 pm »

Finally got around to finish the main quest of Fallout: New Vegas.

The grey, "possibility of scientific progress more important than human sacrifices" choice I made when choosing the main side made me die inside a little. SO much grey. ;_______;

Also, only in the end figured out I can't play DLC after main storyline ends. there goes my ques for possible redemption.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11766 on: May 01, 2014, 05:14:35 pm »

Finally got around to finish the main quest of Fallout: New Vegas.

The grey, "possibility of scientific progress more important than human sacrifices" choice I made when choosing the main side made me die inside a little. SO much grey. ;_______;

Also, only in the end figured out I can't play DLC after main storyline ends. there goes my ques for possible redemption.
I chose the "fuck tha police" ending because really why not? Legion of deadly robots securing a swathe of desert as a place where people can avoid all other world powers? Sounds good to me.
Also I feel bad for everyone the Legion and NCR screw over by malice and incompetence respectively.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:21:03 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #11767 on: May 01, 2014, 05:16:41 pm »

Dota 2 again. Earthshaker, foutain blinked in to stun all and echoslam at the end of the game. we won by a landslide, ranked too!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11768 on: May 01, 2014, 07:56:03 pm »

Chasing Gary across the rooftop, I slip, and fall about 60 feet onto stairs. Facefirst.

The game felt it was more important to say the mission was a failure because Gary got away than be concerned about Jimmy's broken neck. Way to go, game priorities.

That mission was actually really damn intense. One of my favourite games, that... even if the voice acting and animations became strangely stilted in the latter half of the game.

I chose the "fuck tha police" ending because really why not? Legion of deadly robots securing a swathe of desert as a place where people can avoid all other world powers? Sounds good to me.
Also I feel bad for everyone the Legion and NCR screw over by malice and incompetence respectively.

It's funny, I went all the way through the game (in my playthrough where I actually finished the story) fully intending to win the war for NCR.
And then they asked me to wipe out the BoS. :P I went nope, and ended up just taking everything for myself instead. The BoS are my buddies.

Edit: Oh, and my death.

Stabbed with some guy's instakill knife. Again. *sigh*
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11769 on: May 01, 2014, 07:58:05 pm »

I swept my way through the cheap fighting pits of Germania with only one loss, to a Provocator named Sextus.  I was a Hoplomachus named Gaius.  I even got a laurel wreath on my first fight, a brutal beatdown on an even opponent.

Finally I'd gained enough renown and experience to attract the more discerning managers in the Roman heartland and I moved in to Gallia.  Here things were a bit tougher, I wasn't top dog anymore.  Worse, the heartland had more gladiators and nastier spectators.  In the old pits where there weren't so many gladiators, you couldn't afford to kill everybody.  As long as I surrendered in time I was okay.  Here though, you either won the fight or prayed the crowd liked you.

My first enemy was a Murmillo named Severus.  I'd knocked around plenty of Murmillones in Germania and even killed one, so I wasn't worried.  I fought like I always did, pure offense using my spear to keep distance and ward off counterattacks. 

It didn't work.

I wasn't accustomed to the prowess of heartland gladiators.  It was really a whole new game and I wasn't ready for it.  He methodically blocked each shot, letting me wear myself out on his scutum, then let me know what he thought of me with a stab to the gut.  It wasn't fatal, but with my stamina drained it was too much and I had to surrender, giving myself up to the mercy of the crowd...

They let me live though.  So technically I didn't die.  I got better and I'll be back at it before long (I don't have a choice after all).

Lesson learned though.  Don't get a big head because you murdered some untrained slaves in the hinterlands.  You may not get a second chance.

The game is Red Sand, Blue Skies, a semi-obscure tabletop wargame about, obviously, gladiators.  It has fun little system for campaigns and solo play, so I made a gladiator and gave it a run.  I'm a little scared to send Gaius out again though.  That story up there wasn't embellished.  I really did sweep the competition in the hinterlands and then get dumpstered by my first heartland opponent.  I was too aggressive and underestimated his ability to shrug off my attacks, so I burned through my stamina.

Fun game.
Shoes...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11770 on: May 01, 2014, 08:00:13 pm »

Wait, I'm confused- were you playing with a GM? Or were you running it yourself?
Or am I being silly and you were actually playing some sort of computerized version of a tabletop game? ???
Booze is Life for Yoink

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11771 on: May 01, 2014, 08:01:27 pm »

It has rules for solo play, generating random opponents and controlling their behavior with the dice.
Shoes...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11772 on: May 01, 2014, 08:04:02 pm »

Ah, okay. That's pretty cool!
Booze is Life for Yoink

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11773 on: May 01, 2014, 08:28:52 pm »

Not my death; my wallet's.

I have a theory Tingle eats money.

Zelda: Wind Waker.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11774 on: May 01, 2014, 08:45:59 pm »

Ah yes, Tingle's extortion racket. I think the King of Red Lions is getting a cut in exchange for finding dumb gullible kids to hunt for a legendary treasure (using charts that Tingle himself made).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 1575