Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 784 785 [786] 787 788 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2371449 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #11775 on: May 01, 2014, 10:25:01 pm »

Ran out of rupees, which are hitpoints. Ironic that it is relevant to the current conversation.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #11776 on: May 02, 2014, 12:40:54 am »

I chose the "fuck tha police" ending because really why not? Legion of deadly robots securing a swathe of desert as a place where people can avoid all other world powers? Sounds good to me.
Also I feel bad for everyone the Legion and NCR screw over by malice and incompetence respectively.
It's funny, I went all the way through the game (in my playthrough where I actually finished the story) fully intending to win the war for NCR.
And then they asked me to wipe out the BoS. :P I went nope, and ended up just taking everything for myself instead. The BoS are my buddies.
I like this game, I really do. Of course there are things that could be improved, even when it comes to the factions interaction and relations - I mean, it's there but we could go even further... Still, good game, especially in this day and age (though it is already 4 years old).

Sorry for offtopic, I'll go find ways to kill myself right away.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11777 on: May 02, 2014, 12:44:04 am »

Fucking Four Kings in NG+ are wrecking my shit constantly. >:C

SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11778 on: May 02, 2014, 02:34:08 pm »

It's funny, I went all the way through the game (in my playthrough where I actually finished the story) fully intending to win the war for NCR.
And then they asked me to wipe out the BoS. :P I went nope, and ended up just taking everything for myself instead. The BoS are my buddies.
I was the same.
Mr House wasn't the kind of genius that you want to trust with what group of innocents you want dead.
And just to take the moral high ground I beat both the legion and NCR with the speech skill rather than killing them.

Oh yeah and as soon as I learned that Mr House wanted to meet me I made a special point of keeping the varmint rifle to shoot him with. It just feels like a good thing to do.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11779 on: May 02, 2014, 03:11:26 pm »

Trying to get past some IR sensors. I tranq the guard on my side, causing the guard on the other side to go the long way around. I move up to ambush him, tranq him as he comes over to wake his buddy. I tranq the first guard again as he was waking up. He falls forward. Into the IR sensors. Which are linked to bombs.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11780 on: May 02, 2014, 08:11:37 pm »

Fun fact: Otacon warns you that those particular IR sensors are impassable, but you can crawl under them. You might have already known that, but eh.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11781 on: May 02, 2014, 08:19:50 pm »

I was the same.
Mr House wasn't the kind of genius that you want to trust with what group of innocents you want dead.
And just to take the moral high ground I beat both the legion and NCR with the speech skill rather than killing them.

Oh yeah and as soon as I learned that Mr House wanted to meet me I made a special point of keeping the varmint rifle to shoot him with. It just feels like a good thing to do.

I spared the NCR guys at the end. Leaving the Legion alive is hardly "taking the moral high ground", though. :P
Anyways, to keep this on topic: Okay, so, there are like, bandits over there. Uh-huh. Okay I should be able to deal with this.
I'll just sneak over here behind thi- AAH WHERE AM I GETTING SHOT FROM WTF IS GOING ON meh.

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11782 on: May 03, 2014, 02:42:01 am »

Pretty sure there's more bugs than functioning code in that game.

Anyway, update.  I still haven't died, somehow.

I moved on and learned my lesson from my loss to Severus, moderating my aggression and taking more control of my fighting style.  As a Hoplomachus I have a spear and a dagger with a buckler on my dagger hand.  I can use the spear to fight my shorter-ranged foes from a distance.  Since they can't hit me back, I can make lighter attacks and conserve my energy.

It was still rough.  In Germania I was the top of the heap but here in Gaul I'm new meat and a substantial number of enemies are stronger than me.  Every match was brutal, but by degrees I climbed up.  I killed another Murmillo for a laurel, and with that I could breathe a little easier.  With three laurels and a number of bodies at my feet, the crowd knew my name and they wanted to see more.  When I did lose, they didn't want me dead. 

Finally I claimed enough victories to increase my rank.  I wouldn't be going to Latium just yet, but I was one step closer to the Coliseum.

There was only one foe between me and the goal.  Severus.  (breaking character for a sec to explain.  The game has a system to roll for opponents.  I added an extra roll to give myself a small chance of seeing old opponents.  If I get 7 or below on the first 1d10 I fight a Murmillo.  If I roll again and get 3 or below, it's a rematch.  This one was Severus.  Very serendipitous.)

Now it was time for the test.  When I first came to the Germanian arena, Severus showed me just how shitty I was at this whole gladiation thing.  Now, if I wanted to advance in rank, I had to prove I'd learned his lesson.  Very serendipitous indeed.

We went at it.  This time I played careful.  I stayed out of reach and jabbed with my spear, using light attacks to conserve my stamina for the long haul.  He closed the gap and with a lucky shot I pushed him back.  Bit by bit I was wearing him down.

With a gap between us once again, I took a jab with my spear.  It was meant to keep poking him down.  A misstep.  The spear went past his shield and straight into his chest.  Mere moments into the battle, not even long enough to break a sweat, Severus went down and didn't get up.

So now I'm at the top of the Gallic circuit.  I know what's up and I'm easily a match for anyone I go up against.  With four laurels it's unlikely the crowd will turn against me if I do lose.  As long as I don't go down like Severus, I'll be moving up in the world soon, hitting Latium where shit gets real.  In Latium, sometimes they do fights to the death.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 02:45:01 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11783 on: May 03, 2014, 04:29:39 am »

>Step forward
>Trigger Thin Men
>Thin Men immediately take cover, and crit for 12 damage on their first turn, four times over, killing my starting squad
>Fuck this, I'm gonna play something easy, time to go play Terror From The Deep on superhuman versus nothing but lobstermen

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11784 on: May 03, 2014, 09:59:19 am »

Annihilated by Moritz-G. Shoop da fkn whoop.

R-Type Delta
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11785 on: May 03, 2014, 10:31:07 am »

Railgun to the face. x50

Various deaths. I've got 20 seconds to disarm 3 bombs(it takes 3-4 seconds), which would have been for if I hadn't gotten the first one before the timer started, all three are on opposite sides of the area, and one of them is apparently invisible. Yeaahno. Then there's somehow getting shot through a metal crate. Then there's forgetting where I put my claymores. Then my most recent one was were Fatman somehow ignored mercy invulnerability as he ran over my face repeatedly with his rollerblades.

Fun fact: Otacon warns you that those particular IR sensors are impassable, but you can crawl under them. You might have already known that, but eh.
No, he actually says there aren't that many, so you can probably get past them somehow(by crawling). It's the second set blocking the cargo hold you can't crawl through.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11786 on: May 03, 2014, 11:11:30 am »

Various deaths. I've got 20 seconds to disarm 3 bombs(it takes 3-4 seconds), which would have been for if I hadn't gotten the first one before the timer started, all three are on opposite sides of the area, and one of them is apparently invisible. Yeaahno. Then there's somehow getting shot through a metal crate. Then there's forgetting where I put my claymores. Then my most recent one was were Fatman somehow ignored mercy invulnerability as he ran over my face repeatedly with his rollerblades.
Assuming you're playing on Extreme, don't bother with claymores. They're too hard to keep track of and a waste of valuable bomb disarming time.

If you're letting him stay up long enough to plant bombs, you HAVE to start disarming them BEFORE the timer starts, otherwise you're not going to have enough time. If he plants a bomb, shoot him and knock him down, leave him there, disarm it and keep fighting. It usually breaks his pattern. If you let him chain 4 or more bombs together to a single timer, you're boned.

You need to memorize where all the SOCOM pickups are too, because you're going to be running out of ammo a lot.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11787 on: May 03, 2014, 12:02:15 pm »

I disagree on the claymore part. They've knocked him down while he was planting bombs, which gives a long delay to disarm some of them. This is especially good since it's hard to shoot him and his contact damage is ridiculous on Extreme. One of those deaths was from punching him.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11788 on: May 03, 2014, 12:50:26 pm »

I disagree on the claymore part. They've knocked him down while he was planting bombs, which gives a long delay to disarm some of them. This is especially good since it's hard to shoot him and his contact damage is ridiculous on Extreme. One of those deaths was from punching him.
Well normally when I play him he never plants any bombs, unless I run out of ammo and I'm having a hard time finding a pickup. I never have any problems hitting him, even if he's offscreen, but yeah getting run over sucks. If you get knocked down then your invuln doesn't last as long, so if your get-up animation doesn't start quick enough then he's liable to run you over again. Usually he just taunts after running me over the first time and let's me stand up and shoot him in the face.

Claymores are useful, but I've found using them gets me blown up since I have to keep Sensor A equipped at all times to find his bombs if I accidentally miss his tell: "1! 2!" "More BOMBS!" etc.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11789 on: May 03, 2014, 01:00:39 pm »

Just walking down some stairs in a building in the middle of nowhere, when a skeletal hand just randomly flies towards me and one shots me.

Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword
Pages: 1 ... 784 785 [786] 787 788 ... 1575