Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Astronomers discover a 'how exactly does something this big go unnoticed'  (Read 3884 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Astronomers discover a 'how exactly does something this big go unnoticed'
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2010, 09:06:34 pm »

"The Great Attractor" isn't bad either, but I'd stick to "Spaghettification" for an astronomy-derived band name.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2010, 10:43:35 pm »

Did we ever find out where those gravitons (or whatever I'm thinking of) that appear to pop in and out of existence go? I believe I saw a Nova on it, and that was one of the reasons they made particle colliders.

Nope, Gravitons and the Higgs Bosson which spawns them have not been observed yet. This is, believe it or not, an exciting moment in particle physics. Which has been stagnant for almost 30 years.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2010, 12:32:27 pm »

Yeah, but since it's an elephant, it's going to be trampling around, making a big ruckus.

We were looking for a visible elephant (well not really looking per-se, but whatever), we didn't think to listen for it. :D
Yeah well, if the elephant was really far away you wouldn't be able to hear it.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2010, 09:29:22 pm »

If we can see the beginning of the big bang with telescopes.. would it not be the case that the matter we're standing on moved far faster than the speed of light, or existed from before the big bang, or that everything we know is a misconception? I feel that we really know nothing about the universe, our science akin to a 5 year old trying to wrap their mind around concepts and thoughts that even most adults cannot comprehend...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2010, 09:30:30 pm »

I think it was emissions from the Big Bang.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2010, 09:56:04 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:00:59 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2010, 10:04:55 pm »

If we can see the beginning of the big bang with telescopes.. would it not be the case that the matter we're standing on moved far faster than the speed of light, or existed from before the big bang, or that everything we know is a misconception? I feel that we really know nothing about the universe, our science akin to a 5 year old trying to wrap their mind around concepts and thoughts that even most adults cannot comprehend...

Speed of Light can't be achieved or exceeded for items with mass.

Anything that existed before the big bang doesn't matter, as it doesn't exist now. The big bang, is a universe rewrite. Each time it happens, it replaces everything.

It also doesn't matter if what we know today is a misconception. Science Academia and knowledge allows for itself to be changed given new understanding, and observations. What we know today is our best understanding, and from what we know, does the best job at explaining what we see, and gives up applications that we use, as well as provide prediction for future events.
Therefore it can be relied on with confidence.

Some Theories are more strong then others. Evolution via Natural Selection is pretty solid. Germ Propagation of Disease is pretty solid. Tectonic Plate Theory is pretty solid. Ect ect ect.

Whereas some theories, such as the Nebula Star Formation Theory have some fairly glaring holes in it. For instance, it can't properly explain the formation of binary star system, the most common solar system.

And theories get replaced, once a better understanding is broached. Einsteins theories replaced Newtons theories, ect.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2010, 10:17:21 pm »

Now, there are some weird inconsistencies in what I just said (basically boiling down to how, if at all, the speed of light interacts with expanding space), I think, but I don't have the background to resolve them except to say that their effects are probably small enough that you're really looking at a few seconds AFTER the Big Bang, at a guess. I don't know, precisely. Anyway, that's the gist.
To be precise, we can only ever see as far back in time as about 300-ish thousand years after the Big Bang, as before that time, the matter in the universe was opaque to radiation.
As for the space expansion and speed of light - as far as I can recollect, the observations of distant quasars show that their redshift is such that they appear to be "moving" away from us faster than the speed of light. This doesn't seem to invalidate the postulates of Special Relativity about c being the greatest speed attainable, as these far away objects recede so quickly due to the space between us and them being stretched, and not traveling through space as such.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2010, 10:21:33 pm »

That has to do more with the c being variable in its media. The stretched space of the 14 or so billion light year away star light is moving faster then the light presented in our more defense 'space'.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2010, 10:28:49 pm »

Please explain how is the variability of c in a medium relevant to the subject? I completely missed your point.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2010, 11:49:54 am »

One can imagine the universe as the expanding baloon(as EarthquakeDamage described), or expanding dough(space) with raisins(matter) embedded within, with Big Bang being the moment when the baloon(dough+raisins) "appeared" and begun expanding.

Wait, you're saying that space has EDGES? Rather than the universe being infinite, there is a very large but limited space that wraps around? That is so messed up, man. ._.

Wait, is the expansion affected in any way by what's in the universe? If you have some galaxies doodled in pen on a surface of a balloon you're filling, they're just decoration and have no effect on the space stretching. But in the real world, gravity warps space, right?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2010, 12:27:28 pm »

Look, the balloon is just a thought experiment for helping to understand what the bing bang, and the expansion of the universe looks like. Or rather what it doesn't look like(i.e.explosion). It's by no means "the" definitive, proper model of the universe.

As for the actual "shape" of the universe:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]