Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Astronomers discover a 'how exactly does something this big go unnoticed'  (Read 3892 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Astronomers discover a 'how exactly does something this big go unnoticed'
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2010, 04:31:36 pm »

Dammit, I just figured out the whole "expanding sphere" and "curved space-time" notions of the universe, and now you're saying its a BUBBLE? Screw this crap. Anything beyond our spiral arm I'm going to refer to as "the heavens" because we're just an anthill on a mountain anyway.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2010, 04:36:44 pm »

Dammit, I just figured out the whole "expanding sphere" and "curved space-time" notions of the universe, and now you're saying its a BUBBLE? Screw this crap. Anything beyond our spiral arm I'm going to refer to as "the heavens" because we're just an anthill on a mountain anyway.

Theres also ideas that it is saddle shaped, among others. Part (or a good deal) of the problem is that the universe is just so VAST and we can only see a finite distance. However, our telescopes are seeing ever closer to the 'beginning' of the big bang, so... I don't know. I'm not a physicist.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2010, 04:57:18 pm »

I just wanted to add (remind) that if one wishes to be less wrong, one probably shouldn't think about these things in the Cartesian system of three spatial dimensions and a fourth time dimension. The universe really doesn't care about what we think, or our systems of measurement, and thus will not conform to them.

The universe doesn't care about us, but we care about the universe. That's why we have made tools to describe it, Cartesian system being one of them suited for a simplified situation.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2010, 05:14:50 pm »

I heard gamma rays were bad. A gamma ray fog must be rather dangerous.

Somewhere there is a race of aliens who's genitalia looks exactly like those bubbles.

We don't know it yet, but we just got trolled.

One day, God was masturbating to some other human virgin. He accidentally sat on the universe without pants on and the aura from his balls alone created a massive cloud.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2010, 06:51:05 pm »

The universe doesn't care about us
:'(

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2010, 06:53:26 pm »

The universe doesn't care about us, but we care about the universe. That's why we have made tools to describe it, Cartesian system being one of them suited for a simplified situation.
  Thus making it useful for many engineering purposes; where it must be simplified in the interests of expediency. However, for a foundation in the concepts involved or theoretical discussion like we have here (where there is no complex math is involved), simplified simply means flawed. If you wish to offer a treatise on the math surround the theories on these subjects using the Cartesian system of measurement, then I do not mean to stop you.

The universe doesn't care about us
:'(
Well, the universe hasn't gotten a chance to care about us, even if it has the mechanisms to do so. In time, Barbarossa, in time.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2010, 07:22:33 pm »

I heard gamma rays were bad. A gamma ray fog must be rather dangerous.
Depends on the intensity. You're getting 2.4 millisievert per year, mostly in the form of gamma rays and nobody notices. A cloud as the one described here is probably of a low density, so the background dose inside the cloud would probably not be much higher then let's say 10 millisievert per year (for the record, getting around 1 sievert instantaniously might induce vomiting, a slight nausea, a light loss of white blood cells and some fatigue), probably far less. I'd worry more about charged particles flying around in the could myself.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 07:29:31 pm by Virex »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2010, 08:27:55 pm »

Homogenity of the universe is visible on a large(i.e.very large - larger than superclusters) scale.
Have we ever actually seen a cluster of superclusters, or is this a theory?

Scientific Theory does not mean GUESS!

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2010, 01:39:43 am »

It could be a theory based on observations made by those with access to deep-space telescopes.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 01:14:57 pm »

It could be a theory based on observations made by those with access to deep-space telescopes.

Theories always have observations.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 03:49:20 pm »

Did we ever find out where those gravitons (or whatever I'm thinking of) that appear to pop in and out of existence go? I believe I saw a Nova on it, and that was one of the reasons they made particle colliders.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2010, 05:23:51 pm »

how exactly does something this big go unnoticed
Becuase it's invisible. You could not see a big invisible elephant even though it is big. Duh.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 07:57:27 pm »

Yeah, but since it's an elephant, it's going to be trampling around, making a big ruckus.

We were looking for a visible elephant (well not really looking per-se, but whatever), we didn't think to listen for it. :D

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2010, 07:59:07 pm »

Why havn't they found my avatar yet?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2010, 08:01:55 pm »

I need to come to the lower forums more often, I missed an astronomy thread!

Homogenity of the universe is visible on a large(i.e.very large - larger than superclusters) scale.
Have we ever actually seen a cluster of superclusters, or is this a theory?
Theory it certainly is, as is e.g. Big Bang and all the rest of scientific knowledge.
This theory, however, fits well with the observational data, that is: the background microwave radiation is nearly uniform in all directions, with the exception of previously mentioned fluctuations - areas where matter begun to gather, later to form large structures like superclusters.
Anyhow, homogenity means not that you can't, in principle, find any empty spaces between whatever structures you're considering at the moment - it's just that on average, the distribution of "emptiness" and "matter" is similar everywhere. So you can find filaments of superclusters stretching in all directions with equal probability.
This would not be true if e.g. the Big Bang was a true explosion of matter into preexisting space - this would create a shell of matter, with emptiness spreading inwards and outwards of (i.e.normal to) the shell.

There's a specific name for the homogenity of the universe at the largest scale:  The "end of greatness".  Which in my opinion would make an awesome band name.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4