Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.17 Released  (Read 69440 times)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.17 Released
« Reply #180 on: November 12, 2010, 10:49:33 pm »

I think I found out a spoiler for the dead.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Dogun

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Will live in a cave someday
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2010, 11:11:38 pm »

I find a significant number of buildings blocked off by unmoving townspeople standing in the doorways. Is there a way to nudge them aside?

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2010, 11:22:27 pm »

I find a significant number of buildings blocked off by unmoving townspeople standing in the doorways. Is there a way to nudge them aside?

Use "s" to sit, then crawl on the ground.  That will let you pass any NPCs which are in your way.  Use "s" to stand again.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2010, 11:27:33 pm »

I'd gotten to the point where I was could single-handedly strike down night-creature spouses with no problem, had a following of 19 soldiers, and had been quested to slay a titan, a hydra and a dragon, when during a goblin ambush:

The flying iron bolt strikes you in the head from behind, tearing the muscle, fracturing the skull and tearing the brain through the -bronze helm-!
You have been knocked unconscious!
You have been shot and killed!

Even a mighty warrior can be struck down by bad luck.

Monsterfurby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2010, 11:47:38 pm »

Actually, goblin ambushes are pretty much the most horrible thing that can happen to you. Even with an all-superhuman legendary master hero, those still put up a decent fight to the point of actually killing you once in a while.

Erzrzore gur Vapvqrag.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 13, 2010, 12:39:53 am »

The megabeast skulls I'm carrying around are starting to weigh me down. I need to slaughter the inhabitants of a castle to put my stuff in.

I might start with these peasants who wont get out of the door of the blasted armorshop!

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 13, 2010, 01:15:33 am »

Use "s" to sit, then crawl on the ground.  That will let you pass any NPCs which are in your way.  Use "s" to stand again.

Alternatively, nudge them aside with your sword. They won't mind, you killed the bandits, remember?
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 13, 2010, 04:02:06 am »

I was wandering if it is possible for the adventurer to wash himself? I have just dispatched 3 hapeless bandits and I am DRENCHED in blood.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 13, 2010, 04:05:30 am »

I was wandering if it is possible for the adventurer to wash himself? I have just dispatched 3 hapeless bandits and I am DRENCHED in blood.

If you find a pond/lake or river, and you have at least one skill point in swimming, you can "alt-<arrow-key>" into the water to dunk yourself (pick the second choice to slip into the water; the first choice makes you jump in, stunning yourself).  Then alt-<arrow-key> to get back onto the surface.  You'll be covered in water, but that'll eventually dry out.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #189 on: November 13, 2010, 04:22:55 am »

Some vanilla .17 adventuring... this might be helpful to some of you.

1. start a demigod adventurer. Buy agility and dodging. Surrounded == dead.
2. run away from bogeymen, leave the low-agility ones far behind.
3. no adventurer can ever start with armor, it seems.

4. try aimed ("A") easy attacks, stab torso with sword. Or slash at foot/hand. Miss because bogeymen have very good dodging skills.
5. use trees to force enemies into single file.
6. "C" change combat mode to strike instead of charge.
7. use Genesis mod so every creature bleeds to death sooner.

8. one bogeyman is about as difficult as .16 's elephant/ogre/giant/marshtitan. Because of dodging skill.
9. fighting skill may give you lots of nice counterstrikes. You might want to practice fighting with slow-moving wildlife (not camels!)
10. "mortal wound" means internal organ bruising, not dangerous, unlike "CANT STAND".
11. haul bogeyman body parts to town to show off.

12. inside a crowded building, would need a "swap places with friendly" key so can move around.
You can press "s" to lay on the ground, and then you can move on the same tile as an other person is
Oookay... crawl under the moronic humans who cower inside their houses, check.

13. goblins and dwarven bandits are nothing compared to bogeymen. (Or my skills got really high already.)
14. cross the rivers and streams in travel mode, not with swimming.
15. go thank Toady for adding bandits and "The quest for armor".

16. some humans are morons and block doorways for hours on end.
17. wear shirt, dress, dress, dress, robe for "protection".
18. ask the cyan-coloured humans (who have no profession) to join you.
19. your human companions will have a longer sight range than you, at least at night when the felines attack.
20. wear one more dress. And two togas.
21. the red-cross-blinking cyan @ draws you eye away from the brown, dirt-coloured @. And the companion will crawl miles and miles, matching your speed, faithfully following you.

Q for quest log, z to see where the quest target is. Esc to exit quest log.
Z, d, enter to sleep the night.

ps. some of these notes are more like bug reports to Toady.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 04:28:49 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 13, 2010, 04:47:44 am »

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to re-mod lightsabers and food-on-a-stick.
Don't re-mod. Use WinMerge or some other code-comparison tool to copy your changes from the old folders to the new.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #191 on: November 13, 2010, 04:48:10 am »

Some vanilla .17 adventuring... this might be helpful to some of you.

1. start a demigod adventurer. Buy agility and dodging. Surrounded == dead.
2. run away from bogeymen, leave the low-agility ones far behind.
3. no adventurer can ever start with armor, it seems.

4. try aimed ("A") easy attacks, stab torso with sword. Or slash at foot/hand. Miss because bogeymen have very good dodging skills.
5. use trees to force enemies into single file.
6. "C" change combat mode to strike instead of charge.
7. use Genesis mod so every creature bleeds to death sooner.

8. one bogeyman is about as difficult as .16 's elephant/ogre/giant/marshtitan. Because of dodging skill.
9. fighting skill may give you lots of nice counterstrikes. You might want to practice fighting with slow-moving wildlife (not camels!)
10. "mortal wound" means internal organ bruising, not dangerous, unlike "CANT STAND".
11. haul bogeyman body parts to town to show off.

12. inside a crowded building, would need a "swap places with friendly" key so can move around.
You can press "s" to lay on the ground, and then you can move on the same tile as an other person is
Oookay... crawl under the moronic humans who cower inside their houses, check.

13. goblins and dwarven bandits are nothing compared to bogeymen. (Or my skills got really high already.)
14. cross the rivers and streams in travel mode, not with swimming.
15. go thank Toady for adding bandits and "The quest for armor".

16. some humans are morons and block doorways for hours on end.
17. wear shirt, dress, dress, dress, robe for "protection".
18. ask the cyan-coloured humans (who have no profession) to join you.
19. your human companions will have a longer sight range than you, at least at night when the felines attack.
20. wear one more dress. And two togas.
21. the red-cross-blinking cyan @ draws you eye away from the brown, dirt-coloured @. And the companion will crawl miles and miles, matching your speed, faithfully following you.

Q for quest log, z to see where the quest target is. Esc to exit quest log.
Z, d, enter to sleep the night.

ps. some of these notes are more like bug reports to Toady.

Best post since .17, thank you. :) You want to add some of this to the wiki, perhaps?

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 13, 2010, 05:10:07 am »

If you find a pond/lake or river, and you have at least one skill point in swimming, you can "alt-<arrow-key>" into the water to dunk yourself (pick the second choice to slip into the water; the first choice makes you jump in, stunning yourself).  Then alt-<arrow-key> to get back onto the surface.  You'll be covered in water, but that'll eventually dry out.
Doh!, didn't thought of that. I was looking for some key to give order to wash, like dwarves do, but It could be done the old fashioned way.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 13, 2010, 06:24:16 am »

There are slow, human-speed and fast wildlife in vanilla DF, right Toady? Sheep and boars slower than horses, while unicorns and birds are rather quick.

About the adventurer... think of "peasant" as "joe average who was the worst learner in the whole county". Novice in seven skills after many years of trying.

A "hero" could be circus strongman, strong and tough,
or a tumbler (acrobat) with superior agility and above average patience and focus,
adequate in eight skills due to 1-2 years of training as a teenager.

A "demigod" is one in a thousand, competent in nine skills, perhaps a former soldier with five years of experience. Or proficient in 4.5 skills (not even a legendary in fortress mode, that soldier.)

Best post since .17, thank you. :) You want to add some of this to the wiki, perhaps?
Thanks! I now put my post also to http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010_Talk:Adventurer_mode
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:40:52 am by TomiTapio »

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 13, 2010, 07:24:04 am »

There seems to be a bug with items bought in shops randomly becoming marked as stolen later. Happened to me 3 times and I had to savescum. I was wearing them for a long time before on several quests and there were ok. Seems to be somewhat related to talking with people since I haven't had this happening without some talk in between. The scenario so far is like this:
1. Your items are all ok.
2. You talk to someone in a town.
3. You go to another house and talk to another person, he responds "Don't talk to me".
4. You look into your inventory and items you bought from shops, and which were fine before, suddenly have $ symbol next to their name...
This is how it always happened, but it doesn't reproduce every time.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18