Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.17 Released  (Read 69452 times)

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.17 Released
« Reply #210 on: November 13, 2010, 09:36:26 pm »

Anyone else notice that there aren't really any new bug introduced this time around?  I'm surprised given the massive content expansion.
There are plenty, I have noticed Prepared Fly Brains.

It's funny because flies are insects. And, hence, bugs.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

bshore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 13, 2010, 09:38:24 pm »

I'm having a problem getting this new version to run on my mac.  31.16 worked, but 31.17 is giving me this error:
./df: line 5: ./dwarfort.exe: cannot execute binary file

Before you ask, i am computer retarded, so this is probably something I forgot to do or something I'm doing wrong.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Malorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 13, 2010, 09:47:14 pm »

Anyone else notice that there aren't really any new bug introduced this time around?  I'm surprised given the massive content expansion.
There are plenty, I have noticed Prepared Fly Brains. Also, here is a link I read whenever something strange happens in my game just to be sure.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Bug
Notice there are bugs still from 40d

You are quite correct that there are many bugs present in the game, both varities. My point, however, was that I had observed no new bugs that were introduced in .17.  Given the huge expansion in adventure mode content, I expected more bugs and errors to have slipped in, and was commenting on their lack.  Forgive me if I did not fully explain what I meant earlier. 

Now, if anyone has a newly created bug which you have experienced, that was the original point of my question, which was rather casual in the first place.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 13, 2010, 09:52:25 pm »

Indeed, I'm quite happy that Toady took the time to polish this release till it shone, even though it launched late. There's a reason Valve follows a similar release model.

If this is what we get when we have to wait a month and a half, then by all means may .18 not show up until the new year!

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 13, 2010, 09:58:11 pm »

Indeed, I'm quite happy that Toady took the time to polish this release till it shone, even though it launched late. There's a reason Valve follows a similar release model.

If this is what we get when we have to wait a month and a half, then by all means may .18 not show up until the new year!
I second this notation.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2010, 10:28:31 pm »

I second this notation.
Third(ed)
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Malorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 13, 2010, 11:00:35 pm »

I second this notation.
Third(ed)
Generally agreed.  (fourthed?)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 13, 2010, 11:06:12 pm »

Now, if anyone has a newly created bug which you have experienced, that was the original point of my question, which was rather casual in the first place.

Not sure about the Fortress Mode bugs, but there are some adventure mode bugs:
I am pretty sure the shopkeepers deciding your stuff is stolen is a new bug.
So are the weird "sleepwalking" site behaviours, and the weird "animal fortresses", though I haven't encountered those yet.
Also, a am fairly sure it doesn't get as dark at night in certain Bandit Camps, but I haven't checked that one enough to submit a report.

EDIT: oh, and the "there are no darkfortresses/mountainhomes" Dwarves are hella scarce.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 11:16:53 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 13, 2010, 11:23:47 pm »

I think the valve release model would be more like, we don't get another update for three years and when we do it has everything on the dev pages implemented and no bugs.  Actually that's every professional video game developer.

Also I think the lack of dark fortresses/mountainhomes is more a not yet implemented feature than a bug.

pkmnfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2010, 12:26:18 am »

There are plenty, I have noticed Prepared Fly Brains. Also, here is a link I read whenever something strange happens in my game just to be sure.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Bug
Notice there are bugs still from 40d

You are quite correct that there are many bugs present in the game, both varities. My point, however, was that I had observed no new bugs that were introduced in .17.  Given the huge expansion in adventure mode content, I expected more bugs and errors to have slipped in, and was commenting on their lack.  Forgive me if I did not fully explain what I meant earlier. 

Weapon/spike traps are hosed. They crash upon being triggered :(

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2010, 01:01:18 am »

I think the valve release model would be more like, we don't get another update for three years and when we do it has everything on the dev pages implemented and no bugs.  Actually that's every professional video game developer.

Also I think the lack of dark fortresses/mountainhomes is more a not yet implemented feature than a bug.

Well, IDEALLY that's every professional video game developer. We've all played games that were rushed out the door too soon, and all games have bugs, no matter how obscure or difficult to reproduce. If Toady was actually following the Valve release model, we would see more gaps like the 40d-2010 gaps.

And yeah, he tore out the dark fortresses/mountainhomes/elven retreats last version to begin building for this version. Its not a bug if he intended it to be that way!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #221 on: November 14, 2010, 01:15:41 am »

EDIT: oh, and the "there are no darkfortresses/mountainhomes" Dwarves are hella scarce.
Another reason to try Deon's Genesis mod, with more races. And make armor pieces for yourself from your foes' bones.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #222 on: November 14, 2010, 02:53:36 am »

Hah, adding this to dwarf and elf civilizations replacing their normal site type really improves adventure mode with those races.
Code: [Select]
[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CITY]
[LIKES_SITE:CITY]

Edit: I started high in the mountains and had to climb down before I could (T)ravel but I have dwarf villages now and stores! Also doing this makes them somehow grow plump helmets above ground...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:03:36 am by forsaken1111 »

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #223 on: November 14, 2010, 02:06:01 pm »

Wait, there are shops in this version?! I havent encountered a single one! O.o
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #224 on: November 14, 2010, 02:07:18 pm »

Wait, there are shops in this version?! I havent encountered a single one! O.o
Look for yellow 'town' blocks on the travel map then use the minimap to find the buildings.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18