A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 142735 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Cobalt Fortress: Days 19-25: Aftermath of the Mild Anxiety
« Reply #3060 on: January 06, 2011, 01:00:01 am »

Wouldn't wooden fittings work pretty good as well?
I'm just saying, we don't need metal for everything.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: January 06, 2011, 01:02:23 am »

If you want to use wooden fittings for nails I suppose I can do that, but the result isn't my fault.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3062 on: January 06, 2011, 01:05:00 am »

I thought we hadn't disassembled both carts.

Remember, the dead guy had one and so did the mostly useless migrants.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: January 06, 2011, 01:07:00 am »

I disassembled all of them for the fittings and wood.  I wasn't assuming all the fittings would be used for a mostly worthless golem, and that we wouldn't really need a cart for a while.

((I should mention I didn't want to disassemble them all, just as I needed them for beds.))
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:10:49 am by V-Norrec »

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: January 06, 2011, 02:39:45 am »

(All days)
00:00-06:00 Sleep
06:00-07:00 Breakfast
07:00-14:00 Craft
14:00-18:00 Work
18:00-19:00 Pray to kun with Adil and chat.
19:00-21:00 Chat with Norrec. Have dinner.
21:00-23:00 Engrave

Spoiler: Crafting (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Work (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Engrave (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: January 06, 2011, 02:53:55 am »

The statues should probably be put on hold, they require metal fittings, and we're desperately short on metal and metal fittings right now.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3066 on: January 06, 2011, 03:15:53 am »

Why would a statue require metal fittings? It's a chunk of rock that's been carved and shaped.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: January 06, 2011, 03:24:56 am »

The statue is made of two pieces of stone, and they have to be held together by bolts. Attempting to carve the statue out of one large piece would be very difficult due to the stresses and internal faults in the structure.

You can still craft without fittings, but it would be quite crude.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: January 06, 2011, 03:47:27 am »

Unless it was a piece of flawless Granite... could we see those later as part of the mining system (you know, once the miners get better and such)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: January 06, 2011, 04:01:02 am »

Interestingly enough, you might have noticed that mining and woodcutting isn't always 1:1. There's the chance of getting nothing, which means the target rock or wood has been reduced to splinters or rubble, but you can also get multiples. So far you've gotten two and maybe even three at a time from the resource, mostly mining.

Processing the raw material into a beam or block also has a chance to multiply it, so in addition to making the manufacturing process faster and higher quality it economises materials.

I'm just noting down the size-system, and I've made some slight changes. Medium construction materials like blocks and beams are produced roughly three-at-a-time from the Large log or boulder, and you need three to block and build up a square. I just can't reconcile a single arm-held piece of stone being able to block up an entire corridor.

Thus I am also retroactively adjusting the numbers of blocks and beams, so ultimately you will produce and consume more at a time.

Weird, a Giant is actually Colossal.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:56:27 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: January 06, 2011, 05:29:23 am »

Adil is frustrated.  As the hunter/gatherer, she feels personally responsible for the lack of food.
She comes up with a crazy plan for floating to the humans on logs to steal their food, and gets upset when nobody much likes it.

((This is purely IC, I'm not at all frustrated with you guys.  I haven't been roleplaying Fragile Sanity enough recently, and I don't think we need lots of wood at the moment.  She's also classist, now.))

"Well okay then, I'm not going to just twiddle my thumbs until the snow thaws.  I'm going to find the elves, to trade my enchanted axe for plants, so YOU all can drink booze!  I'm leaving early tomorrow.  If anyone has something they want to trade with the elves, I can probably spare a little bit of space in my pack without starving.  Probably.  And Urist, I'll be sure to give your regards to Kun.  You know, our goddess?"
((Again, nothing personal, Adil just doesn't handle social stress well.))
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: January 06, 2011, 07:03:17 am »

I'd like to come visit the elves as well. And if we could bring the golem to help us carry, that'd be great.

Can we all spend a day or two making trade goods and something to carry them in? If this becomes the plan, I'll repost my schedule.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: January 06, 2011, 07:42:32 am »

You can also fit three containers on a pack animal, so you could put some on the three mules and the horse if you wanted to. It'll take two yards of rope to secure each container, unless it's a backpack.

Regarding fittings, each type has a different role.

Metal fittings need to be extremely strong, durable and compact. Nails, hinges and braces.

Wooden fittings need to be cheap and light. Like frames, handles, and weapon shafts.

Soft fittings are stretchy, flexible or padded. Like a harness on armour to make it wearable, or the grip of a weapon.

If you don't have them available, then it's a bit harder. The design has to be reworked to make it hold together, so even if it technically works, the balance on the all-metal sword is going to be terrible, and the door without hinges or latch is going to be a pain to operate.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:59:16 am by Shade-o »

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: January 06, 2011, 07:50:44 am »

Woot, pack animals to the elves! No wooden caravans! :D

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: January 06, 2011, 08:00:58 am »

"Adil, don't be that way! I know you're not very happy about this situation and I'm not either! That still doesnt give you the right to lash out at people! Yes, we cannot easily reach our gods but they are still our gods! WE were born with them in our childhoods so dont use their names lightly! Especially Kun's! And that Axe, it is a gift from Aexiesoen! Remember him? He gave that blessing to that and it is a crime to 'give' it to elves! Get a hold of yourself!"
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 249