A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 143124 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Prologue: Orngim Trail
« Reply #735 on: November 13, 2010, 03:31:54 am »

While the base of the cliffs shelters some conifer forests, the lands above are wind-blasted tundra. The cliffs are typically impassable, but a determined and well-equipped force could climb up or down it with time and effort. In winter the cliff face is caked in ice and snow, making it much more dangerous.

In spring the warm water from Iris finally melts the river, the overflow filling in the tundra lakes. Also, grates and other additions would be cracked and ruined as the water freezes around them.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:22:51 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 13, 2010, 03:35:07 am »

We might just have to replace those every year as there is no way to get around securing that river if we want a secure source of water in case of siege.  Unless we want to embark on a mega project of diverting the flow of the river.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 13, 2010, 03:50:27 am »

We can dig out a tunnel for water to travel underneath the fortress. It really shouldn't take to long, as it just needs to be a 1xn tunnel.
If we did this, would we be able to block up the bottom of the walls with stone? Then we might have to deal with flooding... Hmm, perhaps we should abandon the wall idea. I shall ponder this some more.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 13, 2010, 03:53:12 am »

CoughDrop we both have penalties to the miner skill, and we're the only two miners. Please don't make our lives more difficult than they already have to be, I mean we barely make a passable miner combined as it is...
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 13, 2010, 03:54:19 am »

Or here, we could divert a tiny bit of the flow to our fortress, then dig a nice wide underground tunnel to farther down the river where it'll eventually rise up.  Then we could just create a nice straight wall with no major issues, though we might have to clear out any boulders that block it... unless we make it like a 3z level deep tunnel, then the boulders shouldn't block it up too much.

Edit:  If I understand the rules correctly, you both have +1 and avoid the nasty penalty inherent to people of your caste.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 03:59:13 am by V-Norrec »

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 13, 2010, 03:56:30 am »

CoughDrop we both have penalties to the miner skill, and we're the only two miners. Please don't make our lives more difficult than they already have to be, I mean we barely make a passable miner combined as it is...

I'm thinking long into the future. I'm just trying to figure out a way to get it all to work out so we can start building upon a later design.

Edit: I'm off for now. 'Night everyone.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 04:06:23 am by CoughDrop »
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 13, 2010, 04:47:41 am »

Now I feel bad for ruining your plans.

Wait, I has solution. The great lakes on the steppes absorb the overflow, and then gradually drain over the summer (refilling over winter). The flow is slightly higher than normal during spring, but no massive floods.

Haha, those scouts and their conflicting reports.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 05:30:56 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 13, 2010, 06:12:05 am »

It's not particularly difficult to make crank-powered grates that can raise or lower, and then lock into place. Before the river freezes we can raise it, and then we can lower it again after the thaw.

I vote the western route as well.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 13, 2010, 06:13:50 am »

WHO VOTED FOR V-NORREC

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 13, 2010, 06:15:30 am »

Tee Hee.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: November 13, 2010, 06:43:51 am »

If that kitten wins >.> 

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 13, 2010, 06:45:20 am »

I needed to put my vote somewhere!

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 13, 2010, 06:46:44 am »

Well, if one more person votes for me then I guess me and CoughDrop co-lead.  We're childhood friends anyhow.  That'd be pretty nifty :P

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 13, 2010, 06:47:40 am »

You're both pathological liars and thieves. I fear for the future.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 13, 2010, 06:50:35 am »

Hey... I can be a counciler so I can help! people.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 249