A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 143122 times)

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Prologue: Orngim Trail
« Reply #720 on: November 13, 2010, 02:33:18 am »

This kitten is a true evil genius. It just exists and causes turmoil before we even get to the embark site.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 13, 2010, 02:34:34 am »

My jaded trait is most likely working, but I honestly don't care who becomes leader. I'm currently the entirety of the military, and the only bowyer, so I don't have much to worry about.

Norrec: You're questioning the reality factors of a forum game based completely off of Dwarf Fortress? We've had a barge destroy a room, you've swapped genders, a vault has been torn asunder with nothing but a gauntlet, and an entire street burned to the ground form one little house fire, and you're questioning the reality of this?
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 13, 2010, 02:36:07 am »

That I'm all OK with, willingly submitting to a cat AS A LEADER THOUGH!!!  I just can't bring myself to do that, under any circumstances, EVAR.  I'm even OK with the cat being a mind-controlling evil little thing, but leader, no.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 13, 2010, 02:39:21 am »

You're questioning the reality factors of a forum game based completely off of Dwarf Fortress? We've had a barge destroy a room, you've swapped genders, a vault has been torn asunder with nothing but a gauntlet, and an entire street burned to the ground form one little house fire, and you're questioning the reality of this?

It is not a question of the reality of the game, but the reality of the role playing.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 13, 2010, 02:47:11 am »

My jaded trait is most likely working, but I honestly don't care who becomes leader. I'm currently the entirety of the military, and the only bowyer, so I don't have much to worry about.

Norrec: You're questioning the reality factors of a forum game based completely off of Dwarf Fortress? We've had a barge destroy a room, you've swapped genders, a vault has been torn asunder with nothing but a gauntlet, and an entire street burned to the ground form one little house fire, and you're questioning the reality of this?

Hey.

It was an artifact gauntlet.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 13, 2010, 02:48:30 am »

Point well taken, but my argument still holds strong.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 13, 2010, 02:51:02 am »

I'm sorry, I just can't accept a cat leader.  I just can't do it.  Anyhow, I guess I'll continue my action.

Continue whittling the stick down into a figurine of Hipobis Giltgold.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 13, 2010, 02:58:43 am »

So, if you look at the world map you may notice that there is a big ol' inland sea called Skaldivon between the Mountainhome and the Iron Cliffs. There's a major river that runs from it to the Cliffs.

There are three main routes: Take the east coast, the west coast, or get ships to carry you directly across. The ships are only able to dock at a small port near the mouth of the river.

Norrec, your super-sane trait is obviously making you see the true evil and absurdity of Denrhymes. What are you doing, woodworking? You create a primitive wooden idol of Hipobis. At least, that's what you claim. To everybody else it looks like a lump of wood that you attacked in a fit of rage.

Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 13, 2010, 03:02:19 am »

I've got rather bad experiences with water travel, so I vote east coast.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 13, 2010, 03:05:12 am »

I take it we can cross the rivers without boats? If so, I vote going the West route; it seems a good deal of a shorter route, and we won't have to cross near that forest where *shudders* elves live. We COULD take the boat, but personally I tend to not take chances when all of our apples are in the same basket.

Edit: Also, might I ask what you used to make the maps with? I really like the quality.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 03:07:28 am by CoughDrop »

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 13, 2010, 03:18:14 am »

Meh, throw the worthless idol away.  It isn't worthy of Hipobis.  Get another stick and try to whittle it down into a simpler figure, like a dwarf.

I'm going to go ahead and vote going west as well, Warped is close to the east route and I'm not too interested if figuring out what creatures inhabit a magic warped forest.

Also I came up with a basic idea for our initial layout for defense and living conditions.  It should work for the moment.  It's kind of similar to CoughDrop's but I added in immediate temporary living quarters, 2 plots of farmland, one indoors one outside, and a raised tower so we can rain arrows down on any attackers that come nearby in the first few months.

I dunno, I think it works pretty well and we can grow out from there fairly easily as well converting the western area into a guard barracks and stockpile for our goods to be traded.  What do you guys think of that plan.  It shouldn't take too long to set it up (hopefully) so we'll be out of the elements pretty quick.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: November 13, 2010, 03:21:48 am »

Might as well actually explain the paths. Both land routes take about the same time, while the sea route is quite a bit faster, meaning you could get to Iron while it's still late winter.

Taking the east route takes you on well-maintained roads through some dwarven settlements, then some human villages as you get closer to Cleft. Turning south you cross the major river with a bridge, then leave the roads for a path. The land is lush and fertile with moisture blown from Skaldivon. You pass by Warped without getting near the magical disturbances, and the path continues hugging the coast between scattered human fishing villages. A heavily wooded area is nearby, fed by a rain basin but devoid of elves, as far as you know. Once you reach the opposite end with the river mouth, you abandon the path entirely and follow the river inland till you hit the waterfall. The land becomes frigid plains chilled with wind blowing from the south.

The West route takes you through more major settlements of humans, and you turn south, cross the river on a bridge and abandon the main road. The land is consists of dry plains created by the rain shadow of the mountains with Morte in them. This area is largely unsettled, and is frequently used by armies north from the frozen wastes, though there isn't any recent activity. You follow the coast down and hit the river.

Going by sea means heading west to a larger human port, and using ships hired by the expedition authorities. They sail closer to the western coastline. The sea is fairly safe, with no known monsters or aquatic races that prey on shipping. The sea is fairly stormy during Winter, however. They drop you off at a small fishing village near the river mouth, on the east side.

The warm water from Iris means that the river is constantly flowing near the glacier, but as it gets further away it eventually freezes in winter. This causes flooding on the tundra south of Iron, creating vast lakes that freeze, melt and reform as the temperatures change. The river north of Iron, which you will be travelling along, will be completely frozen in its southern extents near the cliffs. You can cross it easily, but it will melt in spring. There are some fords along its length, but no bridges at all.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 03:25:10 am by Shade-o »

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: November 13, 2010, 03:25:06 am »

I'm going to stick with the West Route.  It sounds like fun.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: November 13, 2010, 03:26:56 am »

How do you enter the Fortress with that setup? Remember that this place is to hold against great sieges, and thus we want there to be preferably only one conventional entrance from which we can defend.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: November 13, 2010, 03:31:11 am »

We can add an entrance to the one of the walls.  Probably the western wall as that's closer to the guard barracks.  I was running out of colors to represent that though.  We should probably make the entrance a steel gate from the top of which we can pour boiling oil down on any attackers from a safe walkway leading from Guard Barracks to the gate.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 249