Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: A possibly, odd, question.  (Read 10967 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A possibly, odd, question.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 10:49:03 pm »

Did you seriously just make a post boiling down to "that's hot, and you're probably lying, and don't listen to anyone here"?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 10:50:30 pm »

Did you seriously just make a post boiling down to "that's hot, and you're probably lying, and don't listen to anyone here"?

On the other hand:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 10:56:25 pm »

If you mean to say she might be lying, it's a fairly consistent lie at this point; she's complained about her family in other threads, for instance. I think she deserves the benefit of the doubt.

The idea that she's 16 and working at a place that sells alcohol is odd, but consider that in most states they sell that in grocery stores.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 11:01:27 pm »

I do think she generally deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I just think it's odd that she's run away from home and is working at a grocery store, has severance pay from her last job, and some managed $3,000 of geek crap in a "house" that is more geek stuff than house.  I also think it's odd that someone who presumably dropped out of high school at age 14 or so due to pregnancy is so familiar with binary and math jokes, and that the timbre of her posts changed substantially over the past couple of days.

Also that someone with so little education would name themselves "The Merchant of Menace," after the Shakespeare play... and yet doesn't know enough to look up stopping lactation online?

Note also that her typing style changed rather suddenly.  Older posts: more mature, aged tone, with fewer grammatical and spelling errors.  But now she is making more errors...

Well, anyway.  It's just data.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 11:07:51 pm »

Well, anyway.  It's just data.

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. In either case, this is pretty dame weird.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 11:12:47 pm »

Haha. Funny thing.
I have a parent who gave birth to my half sister at 14.
Stuff like that doesn't seem to be too incredibly uncomon really.

Did i mention she finished school and got her bachelors in english?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 11:13:42 pm »

Did i mention she finished school and got her bachelors in english?

Presumably not directly after her 16th birthday.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 11:17:48 pm »

A lot of college was delayed, but she finished grade school at the normal time at least.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 11:59:56 pm »

Vector: I agree that the situation is odd, but I dislike immediately jumping on people once the situation seems remotely strange or unusual. You make pretty good points, though, so I don't know what to think. Of course, when I don't know what to think, I'd rather play the straight man anyway when someone isn't being harmful or anything like that.

Mostly, I get annoyed when people like Muz feel the need to spout BS like "your situation is somewhat unusual, therefore I'm tempted to call you a troll". It's unnecessary and doesn't help anyone.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 12:01:58 am »

No, of course.  I just thought I'd play the devil's advocate a little, since I certainly bought it initially myself ^_^;;

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 12:06:48 am »

Note also that her typing style changed rather suddenly.  Older posts: more mature, aged tone, with fewer grammatical and spelling errors.  But now she is making more errors...
Generally a sign of being distressed. We'll see what happens. Although let us consider the choices:

She is telling the truth: This thread provides some amount of evidence that somebody cares, and perhaps eases her situation upon us for further support. We don't need to be medical professionals to be voices of encouragement. I would treat this as her looking for a way to break her situation to us, as it is an odd one to just blurt out.

She is doing some minor trolling: Discussing whether or not she is a troll and making a huge argument about it just plays into those plans. Making a huge deal would just encourage them. Just keep on topic, provide encouragement and be prepared for whatever mocking flip is done to try and prank us with.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 01:00:37 am »

What Muz said
Looking at the geeky, nerdy, and somewhat socially awkward things she's posted, I'd say the gender thing is canceled out as far as outliers go.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 01:22:12 am »

What Muz said
Looking at the geeky, nerdy, and somewhat socially awkward things she's posted, I'd say the gender thing is canceled out as far as outliers go.
Are you saying that girls can't be teenage-pregnant bisexual anifurtrekkies? Because boy have I got like at least a half-dozen people I'd like to introduce to you. The people you can meet at appropriately respective annual social gatherings... Of course most people have the sense to keep these kinds of personal problems to themselves, but this is what the internet is for.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 01:34:48 am »

Are you saying that girls can't be teenage-pregnant bisexual anifurtrekkies?
If they're not and "on the internet" (Besides Facebook), then they're an outlier. If they have at least one geeky thing about them or geeky interest, then their gender is not an outlier at all as they'd end up on an internet forum like this regardless.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 01:55:33 am »

]If they're not and "on the internet" (Besides Facebook), then they're an outlier. If they have at least one geeky thing about them or geeky interest, then their gender is not an outlier at all as they'd end up on an internet forum like this regardless.

Are you seriously making the claim that the only girls on the Internet, as a general rule, are the excessively geeky ones, and that any girl on the Internet who's NOT a walking nerd stereotype is an "outlier"? I'm just trying to clarify here, because if so, that's a really ignorant and ridiculous thing to say.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8