Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: These Women Screwed Me Over  (Read 28251 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This Women Screwed Me Over
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2010, 07:57:20 pm »

As if women wouldn't poke fun/complain/rant of/about men, when they are not around.

I generally expect them not to.  And "just because the other side would" gives no one a good excuse.  Eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind, and all that.

Generalizations? I don't think you realize just how anti-woman just about everyone on earth is. I can't really name any man from the top of my head that doesn't seem to think that we are rather superior to women in every way imaginable. Some are just lying through their teeth about the way they really feel. You may have convinced yourself that you're pretty fine when it comes to equality, but in reality, if you look very critically, you too will see that you're just as bad as it gets.

I never made a statement about all men.

It's just one big generalization, that I find offending.

I too feel like I have been counter-generalized against. Because one person makes a shitty post suddenly every dude on B12 is a sexist prick?

The comments that were made:

They hurt people.

Things I said: not everyone on B12 is a sexist prick.  I said that most of the people here were not, in fact, sexist pricks, but perhaps your words have impacts that you do not intend.  That is all.  There is a difference between intent and effect.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2010, 08:25:21 pm »

Generalizations? I don't think you realize just how anti-woman just about everyone on earth is. I can't really name any man from the top of my head that doesn't seem to think that we are rather superior to women in every way imaginable. Some are just lying through their teeth about the way they really feel. You may have convinced yourself that you're pretty fine when it comes to equality, but in reality, if you look very critically, you too will see that you're just as bad as it gets.

This is an incredibly ignorant and harmful way of thinking.

Yes, everyone harbors personal prejudices to some degree or another. To claim that everybody on Earth is just as prejudiced as everyone else trivializes the (very important) differences between people and cultures, and the actual problems it causes.

Will I say I'm totally free of prejudice? Of course not. Will I say I'm better about it than that guy I used to work with who talked about how he hates black people? Of course I will, because I'm not that bad.

If you have the attitude that everybody is equally horrible when it comes to prejudice, then you've given up on encouraging people not to be, and become blind to the fact that some people are worse than others, some are better, and things can get better/worse as time goes on. Once you start saying that the old lynch mobs and counter-civil-rights church burners are no worse than everybody else, you blind yourself to the fact that there might be a particular problem there. Yes, that's race and not sex, but the same things apply.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2010, 08:26:15 pm »

I think he's performing satire on what he thinks I'm saying.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2010, 08:28:16 pm »

Yeah, I hadn't seen the context before his post. You're probably right. That being said, his satire is off-base and pointless, and it would be nice if people didn't argue against things that were never said.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2010, 08:31:02 pm »

Re: This Women Screwed M...
Y'know, this isn't a great place for the forum to cut off the title.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2010, 08:32:02 pm »

I don't think anyone called Vector a raging feminist.

People suck sometimes. When you try to get with just the members of the opposite sex, you may not understand that people of the same sex tend to do the same thing.

There are women who juggle honest men for pleasure and profit. There are househusbands who absorb their spouses' income for drugs and pleasantries. You can replace gender with people and get the same effect.

Hey since it's slightly relevant, a few female friends want me to go to the local gay club with them. Assuming I don't blatantly appear to swing one way or the other, would both sexes be flirting with me? I ask this not because I'd want to hook up with someone from a club, but I'd really like to see if there's a significant difference in the way heterosexual men flirt with men compared to heterosexual women. (The comparison may have other variables in it, though.)

My male video game friends tend to be undersexed, and tend to either discredit women as shallow, or feel like they are not good enough for them. The female video gamers and anime passioneers I know either tend to be very shy and underconfident about how men perceive them, or come off as thinking women are better suited to women's needs. My friends who are the happiest tend to be the ones who treat women and men the same way, have hobbies that aren't exclusively one-gender dominated, and tend to take care of themselves more.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2010, 08:33:30 pm »

Bigotry was never the thing I was trying to convey.

Anyway, I hate women. Not in the "Ima go gai, kk?" kind of way, but in the way that they piss me off to the utmost extreme.

What were you trying to convey here?
That he was in such a bad mood that he would even say such a horrible thing in the first place.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2010, 08:43:16 pm »

Re: This Women Screwed M...
Y'know, this isn't a great place for the forum to cut off the title.

I'm going to say this right now. What I'm about to link is completely irrelevant, and only the result of my likely deranged mind. However. In my younger days when I thought it was clever, I made demotivational posters about D&D. For this purpose, you can ignore the poster text, because it's stupid and irrelevant. However, the image...
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2010, 08:48:01 pm »

So I heard that people were exploding in this thread, so I revved up my E-Police cruiser and came rushing over to set up some barricades.

Ya'll better stop causing ruckus now, you hear?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2010, 08:52:06 pm »

Bigotry was never the thing I was trying to convey.

Anyway, I hate women. Not in the "Ima go gai, kk?" kind of way, but in the way that they piss me off to the utmost extreme.

What were you trying to convey here?
That he was in such a bad mood that he would even say such a horrible thing in the first place.

Which is why spending a few seconds to think before you say something is always a good idea.
Shoes...

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2010, 09:00:07 pm »

I kind of feel like we should have a dump thread for controversial debates in the future, so when passions and emotions get ignited, the discussion can go on there instead of in a thread where it could be rather off-topic or tangential.

I mean, the discussions are gonna happen anyway. Might as well keep things tidy and organized.

Just a thought.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2010, 09:01:30 pm »

That won't be tidy or organized at all because we'll have four or five different headbutting matches mixing together.  It'll be even less organized.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2010, 09:04:53 pm »

Emotions aren't like garbage, you can't throw them all in one junk thread and expect everywhere else to be free of them. All it would manage is to create long-standing arguments and grudges that would spill everywhere. The forum would get all sticky and Toady would have to clean it up. [Metaphor Metaphor Metaphor].
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2010, 09:07:09 pm »

Also, people would start responding to posts from other arguments, leading to more arguments that don't even make sense because no one knows what anyone else is talking about.

Having a thread for fighting will only encourage fighting.
Shoes...

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2010, 09:13:01 pm »

Eh, the problem as I see it is threads here go off on tangents of debating and tend to go wildly off-topic. The only other choice (besides ignoring it of course) is to open up a new thread for every debate, but that seems like it would clog down the forums even worse than a dump thread.

And a thread called "Racism" or "Sexism" is more than likely gonna get locked as a matter of principle.

But I'm also of the opinion that this thread should be locked right now anyway, so whatever.

Toady and Threetoe can't be everywhere at once, I just was pondering ways we could somehow moderate ourselves.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23