Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23

Author Topic: These Women Screwed Me Over  (Read 28248 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: This Women Screwed Me Over
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2010, 03:27:48 pm »

Replace "women" with "blacks" in OP and nobody would be defending anything.

it ain't right, why would one be more acceptable than the other.
Replace it with east-Europeans and almost everyone would shrug at the comment. Your point is?

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2010, 03:28:44 pm »

And that isn't acceptable either. That's pretty much the point.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2010, 03:30:34 pm »

Replace it with east-Europeans and almost everyone would shrug at the comment.

Haha, speak for yourself, I guess.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2010, 03:41:51 pm »

I know I'm a racist, sexist and misogynistic pig, no need to rub it in :(

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2010, 03:52:34 pm »

Threads like the ones you mentioned will keep coming every once in a while, because people forget that there are still some women around here.

This is what bothers me.  It's the idea that it's fine as long as there aren't women around to hear.

I am not offended for myself.  I'm scared about how other people will be treated in the future.  What about children growing up in environments where all this is passed of as "right?"  I know that I have enough backbone to defend myself.  Not everyone does, though, and I don't want other people to feel hurt without feeling that they have the right to shout back and say: "Hey, you, quit it!"

There's no reason for you to feal appealed by every angry rant, since you're a good person.

I'm not going to just ignore what people say about others, just because it doesn't apply to me personally.  This is not about personal affronts.  If it were, I'd probably just laugh it off. 

Part of being a good person is being angry when this sort of thing happens.  Part of it is being angrier when it gets swept under the rug and excused, rather than forgiven.  I have no problem with forgiving.  I have a problem with excusing, rationalizing, and forgetting.

It just doesn't seem quite fair that I'm getting the label of "honorary good woman," does it?  The fact is that you guys happen to know me in all my ill-tempered, wise-cracking, mathematical glory.  There are plenty of other women like me out there, who you don't know, and who can also hear you. 

I am going to say this now, because I was too shy and scared to say it before: You are making a big fucking mistake.  People can hear you, and they are going to be affected by you.  They will internalize your disinterest and uncaring, just as they would absorb whatever warmth and support you gave.

If your answer is that we should all just brush it off, I am going to call you out on rank cowardice.  We learn to brush off things that hurt us, rather than changing the world, because it is easier, and because everyone else does it.  Are you going to lie back and be passive because there's no reason to get so upset about someone claiming that he hates all women on the internet?  Well, it's a hell of a lot easier to post here than it is to stand up in public--I can tell you that for a fact.  Are you going to speak for equality in your daily lives, or are you going to just passively sit by and say "yeah, he was frustrated, it's fine?"

And for those of you who say you would get up and do something, why not here?  Are you afraid of what your bros will think of you?  That they'll think worse of you because you don't denigrate women for laughs?  That it will be awkward?  That your humor will be constrained because you don't have a scapegoat?  That you cannot express your anger without making hateful statements towards people that, for a large percentage of you, you will one day vow to treasure and hold in the highest regard for all your days?  That one day you may contribute to, for they are your children, your very flesh and blood passed on?  What are you going to say about those people?  If you have a daughter who feels afraid, hated, and a lesser creature by sole virtue of her sex, how are you going to feel when you realize that you helped create this fucking world she lives in?

And yet... it's okay?

Think about it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2010, 04:19:00 pm »

Well, its quite obvious to me that I won't be getting any more useful information past this point. Have fun with your internet debates.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2010, 04:20:41 pm »

Yeah you've already gotten plenty of advice.

Delete her from your facebook, move on. Your love was clearly not reciprocated. Don't dwell on it.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2010, 04:21:26 pm »

Well, its quite obvious to me that I won't be getting any more useful information past this point. Have fun with your internet debates.

Well, sir, you showed up with a rather unfortunate statement, which we all forgave.  Then we asked you what you actually wanted to know.  You said nothing.  What are we supposed to give you advice on--not being cheated on?

Dunno, man, maybe you should work harder at getting to know whoever you're dating.  I've never been cheated on, but that's the best advice I can give you.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2010, 04:30:51 pm »

Advice:  Doormats aren't allowed to complain when people walk on them.  If you want a girl (or anyone) to respect you, don't be overly generous.  The 100 dollars for no reason was a horrible idea.
Shoes...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2010, 04:40:39 pm »

Is it weird that the first thing I noticed about this thread was the incorrect grammar in the title?

In any case, men cheat just as much as women.  Why don't you hate them too?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2010, 04:49:40 pm »

This is what bothers me.  It's the idea that it's fine as long as there aren't women around to hear.

As if women wouldn't poke fun/complain/rant of/about men, when they are not around.
Men have to deal with cliches too, although I admit it's probably nowhere near as often as women need to.

It can be tiring, when you need to prove that you're just a nice guy and don't want to get into anyones pants.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2010, 04:56:50 pm »

If the gender distribution were reversed, we'd probably see the opposite of this thread.  It would warrant the same response as it warrants here.
Shoes...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2010, 04:57:31 pm »

No, but we all like unnecessary plurals sometimes.

Meh, fuck it. It's quite obvious that a few of you post replies without reading all my posts. Ive already said multiple times that I do not hate women. I already told you why I gave a few hundred dollars to her and how that was just one instance I pointed out. I did a lot for her, and somehow that allows assumptions that I let her walk all over me.

In all honesty, this thread is completely worthless and should now be changed to "Sexism" or something similar. I'm starting to read replies that lie way deeper then the meaning of the original post, and there is obviously no way to defend myself from so many of you intent on perverting my words.

TL;DR: Leaving the thread.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:04:03 pm by Rex_Nex »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2010, 05:02:34 pm »

What you said was offensive.  "It was just a hyperbole" is not an excuse.
Shoes...

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2010, 05:04:14 pm »

Rex, I am tolerant to your points of view and pass no judgement based on slips of the tongue or distorted subtext. Please, feel free to talk to me and I'll give you honest life advice if you accept it in the same candid manner.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23