Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Who likes Booze ?  (Read 8086 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Who likes Booze ?
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2010, 09:14:22 am »

Lambic beer is sour.
Cantillion Gueze. Felt like my face was turning inside out.

Also German Rauchbier is interesting. It is brewed with smoked malts, and thus tastes, well, smoky. Schlenkerla is the only brand of Rauchbier I've tried.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2010, 05:53:22 pm »

Cantillion Gueuze is such an acquired taste. It really is. I persuaded my friend to buy a bottle of their Kriek the other day. He was quite surprised at how strange it was.

I don't like the smoke beers much, but there are plenty of people who do.

I heard on Friday morning that my bid for a local pub has been accepted, So (fingers crossed) I'm going to again be running one of the most interesting and fun pubs in the city. Good times.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2010, 06:09:24 pm »

If this goes through, you should invite as many Bay12ers as you can to the area to celebrate!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2010, 06:44:54 pm »

Hey! You damn kids! Get out of my damn liquor cabinet!
Sounds like my grandpa.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2010, 08:01:40 pm »

Oh. I like sake. However I'm not sure how you're supposed to drink it. Is it proper to drink it like shots, or sipping, or what? Its so tasty I prefer sipping but you just don't know what offends Japanese people until they start acting really, really polite toward you.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2010, 08:38:53 pm »

I had a delicious green apple cider the other day. It tasted so good I got a little down knowing I couldn't just keep drinking them.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2010, 09:41:09 pm »

Oh. I like sake. However I'm not sure how you're supposed to drink it. Is it proper to drink it like shots, or sipping, or what? Its so tasty I prefer sipping but you just don't know what offends Japanese people until they start acting really, really polite toward you.

Sip it, slowly and quietly, from a small ceramic bowl looking thingy that's warm to the touch. At least, that's the way Sensei always drank his. He was born in "a little backwater place on Okinawa", though, so it may be different elsewhere in Japan.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2010, 10:36:36 pm »

That's the traditional way, though if you're a drunken samurai you can guzzle the stuff.

Person with lower status pours for the person with higher status.  When in doubt, pour.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2010, 12:49:28 am »

If you're a drunken Samurai, you really don't give a damn about your appearance, though.

Sensei never let me pour his sake, though. It must be poured a certain way, with a certain manner, just like tea. I never did get that right, which is why he just poured it himself, so he didn't worry about me screwing up yet another thing that day.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2010, 04:15:02 am »

I drink at most 1 or 2 nights a month, but when I do, I usually drag my friends out for good beer from the local brewery. I really like the darker, hoppsier stuff that has some complexity to the taste, or the sweeter fruit-based ones they make. I don't like bottled beer at all, and most of the industrial-scale commercial stuff seems too much like watery urine. I'm not a big fan of liquors and such either, and have only had them in mixed drinks, on the 2 or 3 times when being tipsy was the goal of the evening.

At sushi places I like getting hot sake, which they usually serve with a warm ceramic carafe and a small ceramic cup. I usually sip it; since it's warm and contains alcohol, it tends to evaporate and get into your bloodstream quicker, meaning it has a briefer but more pronounced effect. If you gulps it down, it overwhelms your throat and mouth with a burning sensation, and makes your nose and cheeks flush. If you sip it, it evaporates, spreading the floral hints through your nose and mouth, and has a more delicate taste. It's really nice with cold sushi too, since it both cleans the palate, and is nice and warm.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:16:58 am by Solifuge »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2010, 06:38:34 am »

Fantastic offer on at Nelly's in Hull - £1.50 for cask ales Saturday to Thursday.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2010, 07:22:58 am »

I presume that's £1.50 a pint?

I tend towards Real Ale, though I've nothing against lager; my tastes in beer run towards the more expensive end of the market, which is probably just as well for my liver's sake. I'll drink spirits on occasion, but usually as a mixer or just in coffee. The one thing I'm extremely wary of is wine; for some odd reason it affects me much worse much faster than anything else, even stuff with a higher ABV.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2010, 07:25:41 am »

That's a pretty good deal. What are the best ales available in that area ? I'm going to be looking at getting ales in from around the country, and I don't really know that area much at all. My pub is in Bristol.

The best local ales in the South West are, RCH in Weston, (east St Cream), Cheddar Ales, (Totty Pot porter), Arbor Ales. Bath Ales and Butcombe are both pretty big now, but I still rate them both.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2010, 07:53:09 am »

Saltaire, Wold Top, Great Newsome, Brown Cow and East Coast are the ones I'm most acquainted with, or at lest, the ones I most often see on hand-pumps.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2010, 09:35:47 pm »

I had a bottle of Old Rasputin last week. It smelled like rubbing alcohol, and tasted a whole lot like Guinness spiked with vodka, only sweeter and harsher. I'd probably drink it with preference to Guinness, considering it hits like a brick. I prefer Black Toad, though, which also happens to be the only dark beer that doesn't make me feel the least bit ill from drinking it.

Also tried La Maudite, a refermented beer from some Canadian brewery that had a very dark color but tasted like a pale lager, albeit a good one, without a hint of hops. It was alright, if not to my tastes, but sure as hell not worth the $3 the bottle cost.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10