Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10991 10992 [10993] 10994 10995 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14518334 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164880 on: June 04, 2024, 06:58:19 am »

Speaking of balls, I just learned one surefire way of distracting yourself from a sore knee is to get a kick in the nut from your toddler.
Not sure if advising against having a toddler, or recommending getting one. Or both?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164881 on: June 04, 2024, 12:06:29 pm »

I am surprised it even made it into consideration in this age in USA.

Anyway from the wording "Fails to appear or refuses to undergo", it seems to me that it is instead of prison sentence. Failing to appear on account of being in prison, then having your prison sentence prolonged because of that sounds unfair. And if the prison guards are to bring you, then you can't fail to appear.

Which would also make sense for wronful conviction (so long as this is only a once-per-conviction deal). You can always refuse and serve your sentence instead of getting castrated.

What about repeat offenders though? You can't castrate somebody twice, so I hope they automatically get the prison sentence.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #164882 on: June 04, 2024, 12:08:48 pm »

Speaking of balls, I just learned one surefire way of distracting yourself from a sore knee is to get a kick in the nut from your toddler.
Not sure if advising against having a toddler, or recommending getting one. Or both?
Both I think.

I would not accept being treated the way I am treated by the child from any other person in the world.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164883 on: June 04, 2024, 12:23:40 pm »

What about repeat offenders though? You can't castrate somebody twice, so I hope they automatically get the prison sentence.
Well, the idea is that castration, by relatively deadening the sex drive, should make repeat offense much less likely. There's some evidence that this has worked for life-disrupting fetishes in some cases, so it probably would apply here, speaking purely to the pragmatic question.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164884 on: June 04, 2024, 02:58:58 pm »

Would you rather have your penis chopped off or serve 3-5 years in prison*? Child rapists in Louisiana may be faced with that choice in August.

*Presumably an extra 3-5 years....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

https://apnews.com/article/louisiana-surgical-castration-sex-crime-offender-234cdd9da804382d90dec409756dc445

Hm, but what about the wrongly-convicted?

I can't believe people are actually going through with this. I remember this topic came up in an askReddit thread once, and I was frankly apalled by how many people supported it. Even the people who were against it only seemed to be so because they were concerned about wrongful convictions.

How about we oppose it because its barbaric? We didn't overthrow monarchs and add clauses forbidding "cruel and unusual punishment" to our constitutions just so we could return to a medieval system of justice. Why don't we bring back hangings and chopping off the hands of thieves? While we're on the topic of maiming thieves, maybe the punishment for tax evasion should be the removal of a single toe?

It is not the purpose of the justice system to fully make up for a crime. The murdered cannot be revived, and the raped cannot be untraumatized. Trying to pursue sadism in the name of peace and closure is self-defeating.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #164885 on: June 04, 2024, 03:01:39 pm »

It's framed as a choice, that's why it's allowed.

Would you rather.....

"Serve the statutory sentence or be slowly pulled apart by a machine over the course of two weeks, or however long you last."

I'm not saying I approve. It is barbaric. And it speaks to the mindset of the people that put it on the books. But it's a particularly spineless kind of political theater.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164886 on: June 04, 2024, 03:25:50 pm »

It is not the purpose of the justice system to fully make up for a crime. The murdered cannot be revived, and the raped cannot be untraumatized. Trying to pursue sadism in the name of peace and closure is self-defeating.
Well, nobody thinks that and that isn't the intention anyway. Most people consider the purpose of the criminal justice system to be to reduce crime, in two ways - by removing people who commit crimes from society so they cannot commit further crimes, and by discouraging others from committing crimes because they in turn do not want to be punished.

What do you view as the purpose of the criminal justice system?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164887 on: June 04, 2024, 04:30:01 pm »

Same as yours, stopping and deterring criminals. I brought up peace and closure because I see other people value it. I remember hearing someone defend the death penalty by saying that a murder victim’s family can only obtain peace and closure by having the perpetrator die as well. I oppose this argument, but I presume the pro-castration argument works on similar lines.

I don’t see how castration furthers the two-goals you mentioned. Increasing the severity of a punishment provides diminishing returns when it comes to increasing deterrence because most criminals operate on the presumption that they won’t get caught.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164888 on: June 04, 2024, 04:36:12 pm »

Same as yours, stopping and deterring criminals. I brought up peace and closure because I see other people value it. I remember hearing someone defend the death penalty by saying that a murder victim’s family can only obtain peace and closure by having the perpetrator die as well. I oppose this argument, but I presume the pro-castration argument works on similar lines.

I don’t see how castration furthers the two-goals you mentioned. Increasing the severity of a punishment provides diminishing returns when it comes to increasing deterrence because most criminals operate on the presumption that they won’t get caught.
Then you've simply misunderstood the intent. They're expecting that castrating child molesters will stop them from child molesting, which is probably true.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164889 on: June 04, 2024, 05:17:01 pm »

I'm rather dubious it would have much effect on them.

I'm no expert on the psychology behind such things, but the general impression I've gotten is that most instances of rape, child or otherwise, are more to do with satisfying psychological issues by exerting power over another person rather than satisfying the desire for sexual gratification. If all someone wants is sex, there are more convenient ways than rape. Not being able to get it up hasn't stopped more than a few serial rapists, they just use other things to penetrate the victim.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #164890 on: June 04, 2024, 09:47:48 pm »

I have the same concern. Mutilating prisoners isn't going to prevent repeat offenders. If anything I worry they might become angrier and more violent if they can't get off.

A lot of times people don't see punishments brought on them for their transgressions as just punishments, but as unjust attacks against them. Any additional punishments might fuel more anger, and they will take that out on their victims. Longer sentences with less chances for parole might keep that kind of anger-driven person off the streets, but hurting them and still offering parole will just let them take that out on others sooner and harder.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 09:51:42 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #164891 on: June 04, 2024, 10:07:32 pm »

Surgical castration reportedly produces definitive results, even in repeat pedophilic offenders, by reducing recidivism rates to 2% to 5% compared with expected rates of 50%. Chemical castration using LHRH agonists reduces circulating testosterone to very low levels, and also results in very low levels of recidivism despite the strong psychological factors that contribute to sexual offending (10).
The numbers look pretty clear though; it works really well.
On one hand it feels like very cruel and unusual punishment, on the other hand going from a 50% -> 5% is such a massive change that I have a hard time disagreeing with it
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164892 on: June 04, 2024, 10:32:35 pm »

Yeah, there's very clear evidence that child molesters are not motivated by anger or power or anything like that, but, in the overwhelming majority of cases, report roughly the same experience as any other compulsive sexual fetish - being increasingly occupied by thoughts of sexual gratification from the target. Castration has been found to be highly effective at eliminating compulsive sexual fetishes and there are even cases of men voluntarily requesting it to save their marriages/families, apparently successfully.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164893 on: June 07, 2024, 05:18:46 pm »

Plumbing's fucked again. And of course, I'm being blamed because I happen to use toilet paper. Nevermind I've been using that same kind of toilet paper for around a year now without problem, and the problem might be fixable with either a drain cleaner or maybe a mix of vinegar and baking soda, assuming it is a clog. Back to the chamber pot again, which by the way, made my colitis flare up after last time.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164894 on: June 07, 2024, 06:55:30 pm »

I mean what? Unless you have some japanese future toilet that can also do your taxes and roll your cigarettes, no paper is quite the challenge.
let
Pages: 1 ... 10991 10992 [10993] 10994 10995 ... 11037