Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10898 10899 [10900] 10901 10902 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14573147 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163485 on: September 02, 2023, 06:21:20 pm »

I think I gave myself food poisoning?

I made my pasta salad that I make every year around this time. Boiled chicken, shredded, rubbed with soy sauce. Rotini noodles. Black Olives, Cucumber, sauteed portabella mushrooms. Feta Cheese Crumbles, Parmesean sprinkles, Asiago sprinkles. And finished with an oil based Caeser dressing.

Rocket science, it ain't. So I made it, wolfed down a bunch like I always do, then had coffee. Two hours later I started feeling like something was wrong. I couldn't settle, couldn't focus. Then I started feeling kinda nauseous. Then I had the runs. After that I thought it was over but then I started getting more nauseous. My whole body got hot and I started sweating. And then I felt kinda dizzy and disoriented and tired. At several points I thought I might throw up. I felt so bad and off that I went to bed at 10pm on a Friday; I can't remember the last time I went to bed that early in my normal routine. I just wanted the sweet embrace of unconsciousness. It took me an hour and at one point my stomach didn't feel good again, but I eventually passed out.

Coulda been a few things. Maybe I didn't boil the chicken long enough this time, although I saw it cooked all the way through. Hard to miss when you shred it. Maybe the mushrooms or the cucumber or even the black olives were contaminated. Maybe the dressing was contaminated? Maybe my hands contaminated it? I was literally thinking while I was making it how much I end up having to touch all the food over the course of making it. I've worked in restaurants and made food most of my life and I'm pretty careful about cross contamination.

I dunno but not only did I have to throw out like 2 pounds of food I'd planned to last me days, not only do I now have a bad association with one of my favorite dishes but I've also officially made myself sick with something I made ><

I still don't feel right today. Went to a birthday party and had some brisket and fruit and a bit of cake. But it's all sitting like a brick and I feel out of it. I'm sure by tomorrow I'll be ok.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163486 on: September 03, 2023, 12:34:41 pm »

Apparently, a fly sat on me in the forest today and got off in my room. Not too surprising.

But this fly was really hard to kill. I crushed it 3 times, which only stopped it from flying. It was still running around.
I ripped off it's abdomen, and it was still crawling.
Only when I ripped the head off, did it finally stop moving.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163487 on: September 03, 2023, 12:53:41 pm »

squishy body insects take a lot of abuse.  It amazes me how the sonic boom of a fly swatter works so well.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163488 on: September 03, 2023, 01:27:42 pm »

Found out today there's, like. A weirdly large amount of sci-fi adaptations of the journey to the west. At least like, a half a dozen of them.

Internet stumbled across what google translates as Time and Space Monkey King (超时空猴王), a hella' B-movie tier sci-fi comic series running what seems to be 40 something volumes, going by a baidu page selling them* -- as near as I can tell, it started publishing in the 70s or 80s (putting it as at least the second series of sci-fi journey to the west adapations that decade, the other I found trying to find some sort of english presence regarding the comic series being whatever the hell this is), and (I think) was produced by this guy. No sodding clue what's going on with it, other than wukong apparently getting resurrected into the 2800s to fight space robots, but scoping some of the stuff available online is a friggin' trip.

... anyway, everything I've learned about this bizarre thing since first seeing it has only gotten weirder. Part of me's really surprised no one seems to have translated the thing into english, tbh. It's the sort of oddity I'd halfway expect someone to have taken a swing at it just due to how oddball it is.

E: though actually looking over that, I just noticed one of the episodes is just titled "Cannibalism". Wtf, indeed.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 01:32:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163489 on: September 03, 2023, 02:24:29 pm »

Found out today there's, like. A weirdly large amount of sci-fi adaptations of the journey to the west. At least like, a half a dozen of them.

Dragon Ball Z anyone?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163490 on: September 03, 2023, 02:35:43 pm »

Eehhh... I'm not even sure I'd count it? Sci-fi's technically there, but it's way more fantasy/punch magic than anything to do with shooty laser stuff. You could include DB stuff if you feel like, but it's definitely not anywhere close to traditional schlock sci-fi.
Ask not!
Ask!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163491 on: September 03, 2023, 02:37:05 pm »

Checked my emails today, which I don't often do, and discovered I had an additional $1000 bill for my colonoscopy back in June. According to the billing statement, I received the paper bill months ago, which I do remember(and probably still have) as that bill was for around $50. It's also not my insurance telling me to go fuck myself, since the bill is $1000(well, closer to $1100) after insurance coverage. I've also checked my medical account a couple of times since the colonoscopy, as I've had to pay other bills related to it, and this charge wasn't there. Meaning they've had to have added it to an already-paid bill within the last month at the most. That brings the total cost of just the colonoscopy alone to nearly $4000 after insurance. Now I'm bleeding all my savings out my ass in addition to literally doing so.

It's boggling that some people like it this way.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163492 on: September 03, 2023, 02:46:12 pm »

Eehhh... I'm not even sure I'd count it? Sci-fi's technically there, but it's way more fantasy/punch magic than anything to do with shooty laser stuff. You could include DB stuff if you feel like, but it's definitely not anywhere close to traditional schlock sci-fi.

Oh come on, the main plot literally involves aliens, spaceships, visiting other planets, galactic alien overlords, fighting androids, genetically engineered super mutants, building and using time machines, post-apocalyptic futures... Dragon Ball might've been fantasy but it's hard to say with a straight face that DBZ is anything other than sci-fi :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163493 on: September 03, 2023, 03:27:04 pm »

Eh... sci-fi fantasy, maybe? Or reversed or something. It does have that stuff, but also very explicitly non-science-y gods, demons, literal witches, magic beans, a race of monkey lycanthropes, the primary plot macguffin is magic balls that summon a wishing dragon, piles of the thing's spent in an actual afterlife... the sci-fi aspect doesn't exactly take front stage, and outside some convenience stuff/transportation it generally doesn't really get involved, y'know? The closest I can recall is the android saga and some of the stuff with cyborg frost demons or whatever that was, and in both cases the sci-fi aspect wasn't really much other than a plot device.

It's less sci-fi than star wars or somethin', heh. To whatever extent it is, it's in a very, very different way than the other two directly mentioned, and its sci-fi aspects are very second (third, fourth) fiddle to the rest of what it's doing.

E: Or to put it a different way, not to appeal to authority too much, but if you look at the wikipedia page the genres are "Adventure", "Fantasy", and "Martial Arts" :P

One of the fan wikis at least does list sci-fi as a genre, but it's after action, adventure, comedy, and fantasy, with only martial arts taking up the rear, heh. Most places that try to slap a genre label on it seem to leave the sci-fi out, which... I mean, like said, it doesn't get involved much, so it makes sense it doesn't get mentioned front and center, y'know?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 03:33:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #163494 on: September 03, 2023, 08:11:06 pm »

Checked my emails today, which I don't often do, and discovered I had an additional $1000 bill for my colonoscopy back in June. According to the billing statement, I received the paper bill months ago, which I do remember(and probably still have) as that bill was for around $50. It's also not my insurance telling me to go fuck myself, since the bill is $1000(well, closer to $1100) after insurance coverage. I've also checked my medical account a couple of times since the colonoscopy, as I've had to pay other bills related to it, and this charge wasn't there. Meaning they've had to have added it to an already-paid bill within the last month at the most. That brings the total cost of just the colonoscopy alone to nearly $4000 after insurance. Now I'm bleeding all my savings out my ass in addition to literally doing so.

It's boggling that some people like it this way.

Try asking them for an itemized receipt and list of everything that was or was not covered and paid for, and the dates on which the service was provided. they might be trying to scam you. Get documentation for everything.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163495 on: September 03, 2023, 08:34:21 pm »

I read it. It's a fee for the biopsy they took. Apparently the doctor removed a polyp during the procedure... though he never did tell me what significance it had. And apparently it's a separate fee from the doctor's fee, the anesthesiologist's fee, and the hospital stay fee. The last one was over $2000 after insurance. Most of which was from something they charged me over 40 times for. I guess they charge per drop of the anesthetic?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #163496 on: September 04, 2023, 03:49:11 am »

I don't get why all those extremist muslims are so mad at Sweden.
It's not Swedes burning the Qu'ran, it's Syrians and Iraqi's.

Also, burning a Qu'ran is allowed according to the muslim beliefs. If someone wants to get rid of the Qu'ran, it is actually the only acceptable way. Throwing it in the garbage is a great sin.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163497 on: September 04, 2023, 04:10:56 am »

I've never noticed extremist muslims needing a real reason to be mad at places, seems like they mostly find a vague reason and use it as justification to destroy stuff.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #163498 on: September 04, 2023, 07:27:32 am »

It's not about the burnings. It's about power.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163499 on: September 04, 2023, 11:05:32 pm »

Bout getting ready to go to sleep, hear odd noise in adjacent room. Go check.

Cat had, for whatever reason, decided to transmit a bag of cotton balls about the same size as the cat across roughly three rooms, into the room next to mine, and was starting to play with it. Hadn't quite actually tore into the bag, yet, but she was getting there.

plz no cat frumple needs sleep not to wake up to a cotpocalypse in the morning
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 10898 10899 [10900] 10901 10902 ... 11041