Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10885 10886 [10887] 10888 10889 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14575227 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #163290 on: August 01, 2023, 10:56:47 am »

Why would you take air travel for a 25 minute flight instead of driving or something else? That's at most, what, 200 miles?  That's far below my cutoff for "drive, don't fly."  Basically I don't fly if I can drive in 8 hours or less.
There's a pile of possible reasons, from lack of other connecting transit infrastructure (where I'm at, there's places I could get a flight to within that distance, but not, say, a bus, because US transit is fucked up and there's places with connecting airports that don't have a reasonable bus route between them) mixed with inability to drive, to various sorts of liability, to it being cheaper somehow (deals a company has with a flight company, etc.), to whoever's paying for the flight doing it just a sort of "here, you don't have to spend 6 hours on the road today" type of thing, to probably other things beyond that.

Airport wait time can be a pain in the ass, but driving's often exhausting in an entirely different way, on top of being more dangerous. There's a pile of potential whys for it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #163291 on: August 01, 2023, 12:05:51 pm »

I wonder if one can still book fare on ships these days. Like, not tourist/charter ships, but shipping ships that are going around all over anyway.
Yeah, but usually €100> a night

:(
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #163292 on: August 01, 2023, 02:30:38 pm »

I stumbled onto something called smooth life, a variant of Conway's game of life.

I randomly tweaked some values and seem to have ended up with a pattern that after running for about 10 minutes, turned into a large stable spaceship structure.

https://rreusser.github.io/smooth-life/#alpha_m=0.15&alpha_n=0.03&b1=0.27&b2=0.34&birth=0.27&birth=0.34&d1=0.52&d2=0.75&death=0.52&death=0.75&dt=0.094&initial_fill=0.33

If the link doesn't paste my random settings (I think it does though), they are:

Code: [Select]
initial fill: 0.33
birth: 0.27 ...|.. 0.34
death: 0.52 ....|.... 0.75
alpha_n: 0.03
alpha_m: 0.15
dt: 0.094

Press the restart button, wait about 5 minutes, and it will stabilize into a cool circular shaped slow flying spaceship.

Not sure what the chances are of stumbling onto a stable structure like that, but it's cool to look at
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #163293 on: August 01, 2023, 03:11:38 pm »

You used to be able to travel for free if you could prove an able hand. But gone are those days, and Herman Melville weeps

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163294 on: August 01, 2023, 03:16:23 pm »

You used to be able to travel for free if you could prove an able hand. But gone are those days, and Herman Melville weeps

First, he goes off on a tangent for 20 minutes about badgers or something.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163295 on: August 01, 2023, 03:37:47 pm »

"But what's second?"

"There is no second. He just sits there, crying and sermonizing about badgers. I never wanted to hear the parable of the badgers of the holy see, but here we are."

E: Though as thoughts go, it occurs to a person that if you dumped a crate full of badgers into one of those giant crowds of religious worshipers, people would probably end up dying. Badgers themselves might not hurt anyone, but crowd crush is real and terrifying and probably what happens when people notice there's a pile of distressed badgers nearby.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 03:43:59 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #163296 on: August 01, 2023, 04:55:33 pm »

The 25 min flight was the second leg of a two part trip. It would have been about 10hours of driving.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163297 on: August 02, 2023, 03:54:43 am »

I won't fly anywhere I can drive to within a month, because I've been through airports many times and it's always annoying.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #163298 on: August 02, 2023, 05:36:17 am »

This was my exact experience with Melville. I marvelled at the technical skill and beauty of his writing while simultaneously wondering why he was writing it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163299 on: August 02, 2023, 11:13:48 am »

This was my exact experience with Melville. I marvelled at the technical skill and beauty of his writing while simultaneously wondering why he was writing it.

It’s also why I had to stop reading Moby Dick. I want to read about Ahab’s obsessive quest for revenge, not Melville’s musings on the colour white, or the pages and pages of what attributes whales possess that could have been equally summarized in a handful of paragraphs.

It felt like he alternated between having a chapter on the narrative and him showing off how clever he was.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163300 on: August 02, 2023, 03:49:23 pm »

those little… spotlights the cops tend to put on their wing mirrors. I've been using their outline to identify police cars behind me, for years. It's helpful to know when you can safely break the law lol

Anyway, I don't know what it is, but this year it seems like almost everybody  has   them  now

I haven't seen anyone actually use them, but it's not even just pick up trucks, which I would expect.  I DK, I guess I expected them to be restricted, or even illegal for civilian use
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163301 on: August 02, 2023, 07:26:42 pm »

Finished a few days ago the prescription course my doctor gave me. Ever since, my stomach has been in near-constant pain of varying intensity, and I've been needing to go to the bathroom every few hours. For the past two nights, this includes waking up in the middle of the night. These bathroom trips have been solidly productive enough that I'm wondering how I'm eating enough to produce that much. I've been pretty exhausted as well; waking up in the middle of the night doesn't help with that of course. Work has been more hellish than usual, not in the least because I can't actually go to the bathroom at work.

Some of it might also be the very sudden shift from intensely hot weather to surprisingly cold. A week ago, I was nearly passing out from heat+humidity, today I was shivering. I do have an appointment with that doctor on Monday to go over the effectiveness of the treatment(spoiler: it wasn't).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #163302 on: August 03, 2023, 01:04:17 am »

https://youtu.be/PF1-1CNggQA

In the realm of "WTF Australia?"

Glad I finally got around to watching that.
Nice to see someone risking it all to successfully oust a corrupt politician.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #163303 on: August 03, 2023, 07:55:28 pm »

Having watched the film Gone with the Wind . I was surprised by the wonderful story line which presented the growing line of Scarlett.
However I was shocked by the news that it was forbidden in the USA by the motion of Black Lives Matter!
What a good novel ,but now being forbidden by a meaningless motion , what a pity!
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!
Ask the vast land , who is in charge of the ups and downs .
I am in charge of the ups and downs !

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163304 on: August 03, 2023, 08:20:42 pm »

Yeah, BLM have their dirty fingers in everything, now that they can time travel.

Pages: 1 ... 10885 10886 [10887] 10888 10889 ... 11041