Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10763 10764 [10765] 10766 10767 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14570876 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161460 on: December 21, 2022, 10:22:39 am »

So I did the calculations, and in USA, you release slightly less carbon emmisions riding a EV than you would a combustion car.

An internal combustion engine has around 25% to 30% efficiency. An average coal power plant has 33% efficiency. But then you have to account for the energy losses in transit, both on the wires and when ramping the voltage up and down (94% efficiency), battery charging efficiency(75%), and motor efficiency in the car itself (75%).
So in the end, the total efficiency when using an electric car is around 17.4%. That is to say, to ride a kilometer in an electric car, you cause 1.44 to 1.72 times more emmisions than if you used a gasoline powered car.

This would change if most or all power plants were based on renewable sources or nuclear power. In Norway, this is already the case, them being mostly powered by hydroelectric power plants.
In USA, 61% is still from fossil fuels. So the ratio is 0.88 to 1.05
EU is worse off, with 71% being from fossil fuels. The ratio there is 1.02 to 1.22

So in USA, it is preferable to use electric vehicles. In EU, it is still better to use gasoline cars. In Norway, it is much better to use EVs.

You're unintentionally making a best-case scenario for gasoline cars here, because you're using coal as the base for fossil plants. Most fossil plants don't use coal - only 21 percent of the US grid and 11% of the EU one use that fuel. The remainder is natural gas (34.8% and 34%) and oil burners (.5% and 31%). As McTraveller says, natural gas is way more efficient than coal, and even oil is a fair bit cleaner. This is before you factor in the nature of the exhaust - the shit coal spits out is way nastier than the byproducts of oil and NG even if efficinceis were equal- and quality of fuel - Earth is running out of the hard and relatively clean anthracite coal, with softer and dirtier coal starting to take a bigger fraction. This puts the formula way more in favor of EVs even in the high-fossil EU.

Manufacturing is, as you say, hard to get clean information on. But even the biased information you find is pretty instructive - every "EVs are bad for the environment" claim does exhaustive tracing of the materials for both, concluding that the battery (which uses materials that are often not processed in particularly green ways - this could be heavily improved, and probably will be) makes the environmental cost skyrocket. Fuel, on the other hand, is basically ignored except for point-of-use burning. Or, in other words, the massive ecological cost of extracting, refining, and distributing gasoline are ignored.

Cars are used for around 10 years (I reckon a bit less now, as they seem harder to repair and maintain) so the calculations need to be made across that timespan, which should clearly favor EVs.

You reckon wrongly. Cars are harder to repair for backyard mechanics nowadays, but garages have no trouble doing so, and the same design factors that lead to that difficulty have also lead to much better longevity. Even before Cash For Clunkers (which destroyed a huge portion of the older cars in circulation and thus massively skews the landscape in the US) cars were very clearly lasting much longer the newer they were made. Most of the "oh, they really built those old cars to last" thing is survivorship bias - all the ones you notice today are the ones that happened to survive.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #161461 on: December 21, 2022, 10:28:08 am »

Totally makes sense, there. Happy to be wrong on it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161462 on: December 21, 2022, 01:45:10 pm »

On the "bright" side, New York is likely going to ban Gasoline cars in about 10 years. You can expect similar laws in California and other ultra-liberal states. I say 10 years because the current rhetoric is 5 years, so I doubled it for actual implementation.

Indoor heating in our rather cold state is also going to go pure electric, as there are definite movements to ban any new Oil and Propane furnaces. If it works for New York City, they'll jam in down the throats of Upstate New York regardless of the difficulties and hardships people outside the City might face. Because they don't live in the City, and thus don't count.

It's admittedly good for the environment, but will wreck devastation on the already poor and struggling rural population.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #161463 on: December 21, 2022, 02:08:38 pm »

Federal subsidies for electric heat will be starting next year - it is part of one of the big bills Biden managed to get through this year. For the poor and struggling population, those subsidies will likely take the cost of a modern heat-pump heating and cooling system to near zero.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161464 on: December 21, 2022, 02:38:53 pm »

There's a gif of someone cosplaying Kitana on Reddit right now, and Jesus Christ it's giving me downright insane gender envy for some reason.

Like, it's not even horniness in the slightest, just pure, unadulterated envy.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161465 on: December 21, 2022, 04:27:46 pm »

Federal subsidies for electric heat will be starting next year - it is part of one of the big bills Biden managed to get through this year. For the poor and struggling population, those subsidies will likely take the cost of a modern heat-pump heating and cooling system to near zero.
HA!

Do you have any Fucking idea how subsidies work?
You gotta be rich, motivated, and/or informed to get that Government dough. They certainly do NOT just "give you free stuff". Although, some contractors do "help" folks apply for the subsidies. But they'd rather help middle class and Rich folks, whom they can do business with in the future by getting them a free or cheap upgrade, rather than securing new heating equipment for an entire slum block. It will be a hodge podge, and people will fall through the cracks, like always.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161466 on: December 21, 2022, 04:33:45 pm »

Or it ends up like Ford, which just increases the price by the amount of the subsidy.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161467 on: December 21, 2022, 04:38:35 pm »

Or it ends up like Ford, which just increases the price by the amount of the subsidy.
Point, especially since the competition is being outlawed.
The smart thing to do is realize this shit ain't going away and just get the cheap-and-subidized thing NOW.
But guess who ain't necessarily smart and gung ho to comply? Poor People. Essentially the rural lower middle class. They're gonna get fucked hard. But none of them voted for Governor Hochul, so whatever.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #161468 on: December 21, 2022, 05:05:14 pm »

HA!

You gotta be rich, motivated, and/or informed to get that Government dough. They certainly do NOT just "give you free stuff". Although, some contractors do "help" folks apply for the subsidies. But they'd rather help middle class and Rich folks, whom they can do business with in the future by getting them a free or cheap upgrade, rather than securing new heating equipment for an entire slum block. It will be a hodge podge, and people will fall through the cracks, like always.
https://www.consumerreports.org/appliances/inflation-reduction-act-and-new-electric-appliance-rebates-a3460144904/
https://www.hvac.com/resources/inflation-reduction-act-heat-pump-rebates/

If your income is equal to 80% or less of your area's medium income, you qualify for a One. Hundred. Per. Cent rebate on the purchase and installation of a heat pump system (and a number of other high-efficiency electric appliances). You don't have to be rich, well connected, or particularly well informed. All you really have to do is not have your head shoved firmly up your ass.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #161469 on: December 21, 2022, 06:22:11 pm »

What fairness there is for that one, knowing where to ask can be a problem when you're sufficiently poor. Even shitholes like I live in often have outreach programs or whatever that try to connect folks to things like that and aren't that hard to find, though. The difficulty is real, but it's also often overblown (sometimes intentionally, from what I've seen, by assholes trying to undermine the programs in question).

... anyway, in personal wtf, had to get 'net repair folks in 'cause my connection was having trouble. Fellow that did the repair noted what they did to fix it "might cause increased performance".

When I downloaded a steam update, my download speed had something like tripled compared to what it was a few days ago. I'm not complaining, exactly, but holy shit.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 06:23:50 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161470 on: December 21, 2022, 07:29:17 pm »

I threw a stone at my Eevee and it didn't turn into a cool rock type, what gives
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161471 on: December 21, 2022, 07:45:47 pm »

https://www.consumerreports.org/appliances/inflation-reduction-act-and-new-electric-appliance-rebates-a3460144904/

If your income is equal to 80% or less of your area's medium income, you qualify for a One. Hundred. Per. Cent rebate on the purchase and installation of a heat pump system (and a number of other high-efficiency electric appliances). You don't have to be rich, well connected, or particularly well informed. All you really have to do is not have your head shoved firmly up your ass.

"Up to $8000" - wanna bet what the base price of installed heat pumps is going to instantaneously become?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161472 on: December 21, 2022, 07:49:49 pm »

HA!

"If you upgrade your home’s electrical panel to accommodate an electric cooking appliance, you’ll likely receive that money back in the form of a tax credit when you file your state and federal income taxes next year. "

whoop de do. This implies people are making enough to pay taxes.

It's also regulated by the states. So, your state has to get its shit together. In NY, where Weed has been legal for like a year and a half, and yet no business can legally sell it to a person that doesn't have a prescription. I have little faith my State Government will do anything but fuck this up.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #161473 on: December 21, 2022, 07:53:48 pm »

The typical installation is between $2000 and $4000. Suddenly doubling or quadrupling the price just to scam money out of the government is unlikely to be received well. Particularly since these programs won't last forever, and will be filtered through government organizations that are in a position to blacklist contractors that pull that - a de facto lifetime ban on school or office contracts is going to cost far more than you gain by jacking up the price here.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161474 on: December 21, 2022, 07:59:33 pm »

The typical installation is between $2000 and $4000. Suddenly doubling or quadrupling the price just to scam money out of the government is unlikely to be received well. Particularly since these programs won't last forever, and will be filtered through government organizations that are in a position to blacklist contractors that pull that - a de facto lifetime ban on school or office contracts is going to cost far more than you gain by jacking up the price here.

While I think this is semi-optimistic, I tend to agree that it takes time for retailers to jack up the price. They'll probably just set their install fee at $5000 "due to high demand generated by this Great government program that allows most homeowners to get a FREE Heat Pump".

It'll take a little while for the demand to so greatly exceed supply that they can bump it to $6000. Because at the end of the day, people don't work for free, and if you want them to work on YOUR shit instead of SOMEONE ELSE's shit, you gotta pay more.

Eventually, the money WILL run out, and then it's SOL for those who didn't see it coming.  Thankfully, Heat Pumps will be actually free in my area, since we're all so poor compared to "median salary".
Pages: 1 ... 10763 10764 [10765] 10766 10767 ... 11040