Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10762 10763 [10764] 10765 10766 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14570881 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161445 on: December 19, 2022, 10:06:29 pm »

If you find yourself actually emitting, or ingesting, bright green gas at any point during your transition, do talk to your doctor. That is not, in fact, normal.

GO is actually a hydralisk becoming a beautiful lurker.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161446 on: December 20, 2022, 02:06:35 pm »

Would be nice if I could do what I want with things I buy with my own money without needing someone else’s permission.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 04:21:51 pm by BlackFlyme »

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #161447 on: December 20, 2022, 02:09:12 pm »

Lies, that's just part of good macro.

Macro nutrients?

Boy howdy, you could research the whole Zerg tech tree off my digestive tract after a good burrito...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161448 on: December 20, 2022, 04:59:35 pm »

My antivirus, Avast, just popped up with a message about how long I've been using it, and what kinds of threats it's protected me from(so it claims). It had a "I've done all this for you, now where is mine?" kind of vibe to it.

And now my antivirus is blocking me from Bulbapedia, claiming it's unsafe.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #161449 on: December 20, 2022, 05:04:38 pm »

Avast has sadly for a long time now been pretty spammy with ads for itself.
Still, the free version still does a good job at basic protection, true to their original promise of always keeping free protection available.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #161450 on: December 20, 2022, 07:51:48 pm »

I've got McAfee and it does the same thing, sends me a pop-up every hour sometimes two
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161451 on: December 20, 2022, 07:57:11 pm »

Why do people make electric vehicles some kind of political conspiracy?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #161452 on: December 20, 2022, 08:01:41 pm »

Because the evil libs are trying to kill the oil and gas industry as part of their grand conspiracy to take over the world
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #161453 on: December 20, 2022, 08:18:01 pm »

The fossil fuel industry is huge, and the number of people who have a direct or barely indirect reliance on it for their livelihood is absolutely immense. That's before you get into the almost totemic relationship places like West Virginia have with coal. That alone means that even a lot of people who are very concerned about climate change and view replacing fossil fuels as a good idea in the abstract get really nervous about the reality. That gives a huge pool of people that are somewhat wishy-washy on EVs.

This creates a lot of openings for less sympathetic groups to exploit. Reactionaries latch on to EVs as yet another way in which The Good Old Days are being ripped away, people with huge financial connections to the oil industry fear financial ruin if gasoline ceases to be a primary driver, and people who have no ideology other than power will stir any pot that might give them that. On the other end of the political spectrum, there's a lot of people that really hate the idea of significant progress made on bringing carbon emissions under control (and EVs will do a lot of that - the studies that claim otherwise are heavily distorted) without a Glorious Revolution To Smash Capitalism or the genocide of 90% of the human race in forced primitivization.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161454 on: December 21, 2022, 02:22:09 am »

So I did the calculations, and in USA, you release slightly less carbon emmisions riding a EV than you would a combustion car.

An internal combustion engine has around 25% to 30% efficiency. An average coal power plant has 33% efficiency. But then you have to account for the energy losses in transit, both on the wires and when ramping the voltage up and down (94% efficiency), battery charging efficiency(75%), and motor efficiency in the car itself (75%).
So in the end, the total efficiency when using an electric car is around 17.4%. That is to say, to ride a kilometer in an electric car, you cause 1.44 to 1.72 times more emmisions than if you used a gasoline powered car.

This would change if most or all power plants were based on renewable sources or nuclear power. In Norway, this is already the case, them being mostly powered by hydroelectric power plants.
In USA, 61% is still from fossil fuels. So the ratio is 0.88 to 1.05
EU is worse off, with 71% being from fossil fuels. The ratio there is 1.02 to 1.22

So in USA, it is preferable to use electric vehicles. In EU, it is still better to use gasoline cars. In Norway, it is much better to use EVs.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #161455 on: December 21, 2022, 04:34:08 am »

Ah! But you would also have to take in account that centralised power plant combustion power have all their emission in one place, which makes them easier to catch är release than decentralised car combustion emissions (in the hypothetical event that plants do invest in emission capture at least ;) ). Which shifts the emission issue weight further in EV's favour. Hypothetically.
Love, scriver~

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161456 on: December 21, 2022, 04:55:34 am »

I did not. And assuming that the power plants do actually filter their emmisions, it does actually change things.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #161457 on: December 21, 2022, 05:04:00 am »

I don't think it's actually common practice yet. As far as I heard the main developer of "capture technology" in practice is Norway, ironically. But if it works it could become a factor.
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #161458 on: December 21, 2022, 06:29:09 am »

The trend, economically, is toward carbon capture, filtration, and more green practices across the board. Cars are used for around 10 years (I reckon a bit less now, as they seem harder to repair and maintain) so the calculations need to be made across that timespan, which should clearly favor EVs.

If it doesn't in the next ten years, well we're pretty boned then anyway.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161459 on: December 21, 2022, 07:39:51 am »

Coal power in the US is only about 22% of grid power and falling.  Most US fossil fuel grid power is natural gas, and combined cycle plants are up around 60% efficiency, not 33%.

Battery charging is now at least 90% efficient, not 75%, and motors... well maybe on average it's 75%, but in cruise are well over 90. Gasoline engines are maybe 30% in cruise - but on average they are much lower.

So your back of the napkin math is very conservative; in reality EVs are a no-brainer for point-of-use energy consumption.  (I grant that I'm not as familiar with the manufacturing energy balance... and unbiased information there is hard to find.)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 10762 10763 [10764] 10765 10766 ... 11040