Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10765 10766 [10767] 10768 10769 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14569618 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161490 on: December 22, 2022, 12:25:38 pm »

Beware the jub jub hole, my son
The teeth that bite, the claws that catch
Beware the jabbercock, and shun
The frumious bander snatch

Oh, lord. Is nothing sacred?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161491 on: December 22, 2022, 12:29:44 pm »

vole hole
Is that the place where brave furries who died in the act go to?
That and theyre what I spend a couple hours a year tamping down.

Adblocker works so well that I only notice the occasional ads in my feed when I'm mobile.

- Pet food, blenders for protein shakes, and ads for determining my genetic heritage based on public misconceptions about genetics.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #161492 on: December 22, 2022, 01:58:44 pm »

It’s cold in Winter, who knew?

I should probably cover my face better when using the snow thrower.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161493 on: December 22, 2022, 02:46:00 pm »

Damn I should not pick stocks myself.  I had some rollover cash in my 401(k) after changing jobs so bought some stuff rather than put in my index funds.  I successfully turned $6000 into $2400, and another $2700 into $2240.  I guess that latter one isn't too bad, now that I look at it.

On the plus side I don't need to cash of out those, so I'm hoping that in the long term it shouldn't matter; these are just unrealized losses.

Main WTF: I still don't understand the sociology / psychology behind changing values of things by 10% on a daily basis.  On the flip side, I wonder what the world would be like if we had to renegotiate our wages daily, or mortgages, or anything else; why do we accept daily price changes on some things, and not on others?  Would we be better off if this was more consistent?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161494 on: December 22, 2022, 03:42:38 pm »

The whole market is down, ftmp.  You'd be out no matter where you went.

If I had to give vague advice to somebody with no idea how much, how long, how risky, or how conscientious:  Energy will be important, and we will start to see an accelerating shift away from oil and towards greener designs.  Oil itself will be around longer than people care to admit however.

Stay away from things that claim 'ESG' as its main benefit.  It's a bad rating scale, Im not sure it will survive tbh.

And stick with big names that can weather a recession.  Amazon, Disney, Ford, Banks like Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley.

But thats just my vague unhelpful advice for somebody of an uncertain age investing an uncertain amount into an uncertain market.  I mostly play ARKK and TSLA and their inverses as my bread and butter rn.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #161495 on: December 22, 2022, 04:00:38 pm »

A new programmer for dwarf fortress. It's quite amazing. Of course, that's the WTF part, the fact that it's me is nothing but raw, unmitigated excitement on my part.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161496 on: December 22, 2022, 04:04:08 pm »

Yeah I know the whole market is down - but one of my picks being down 60% kind of stings.  Most of the rest are pretty in line with the market overall.

Since I don't even know what 'ESG' is, it's safe to say I'm not in that category... my personal picks are "big names" with businesses I respect, or I think have that long-term staying power.  Dividends are also nice, but I haven't gotten enough of those to do meaningful reinvestment I think; last quarter I got enough dividends to buy 2 more shares, and I don't know if I can buy that few? I didn't bother to look.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #161497 on: December 22, 2022, 04:08:41 pm »

A new programmer for dwarf fortress. It's quite amazing. Of course, that's the WTF part, the fact that it's me is nothing but raw, unmitigated excitement on my part.
Awesome, congrats!
Let's hope it won't take long to see the matrix!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #161498 on: December 22, 2022, 05:17:43 pm »

Wow, that is incredible! Congratulations! Don't despair upon gazing into the codebyss!
Love, scriver~

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #161499 on: December 22, 2022, 05:23:59 pm »

indeed congrats!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161500 on: December 22, 2022, 05:38:07 pm »

Awesome!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #161501 on: December 22, 2022, 05:41:14 pm »

Congrats Putnam!
May the code bend to your will
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pangolins are kind of dwarfy, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161502 on: December 22, 2022, 05:44:19 pm »

Congrats! Does that mean we may begin throwing an endless stream of dumb suggestions onto you now? :P

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161503 on: December 22, 2022, 05:49:58 pm »

Putnam may become the first person ever to learn how to play the game :)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #161504 on: December 22, 2022, 06:01:04 pm »

Holy cow, congratulations! That's hugely exciting for you, for us, for the future of the program, heck, that's a big deal! You'll be an incredible asset.

does this mean I can't hope you might update Legends of Forlorn Realms to the latest version?
Pages: 1 ... 10765 10766 [10767] 10768 10769 ... 11040