Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10427 10428 [10429] 10430 10431 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14553634 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156420 on: March 29, 2021, 02:06:50 am »

My mistake. I thought you were referring to the "Hostess wouldn't have gone under if them damn union leeches weren't sucking the life out of the company with their extravagant demands" line. The main issue is that the union was perfectly happy to take their lumps - pay cuts, hiring freezes, and waiving of overtime limits were all accepted. Problem was that all that was like pissing on a forest fire - the company would have failed even with employees working for free.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #156421 on: March 29, 2021, 02:16:00 am »

Basically everything is unionized here, we love unions. Taxis, power utilities, teachers, retail, as long as it's at least approximately formal (but mostly blue collar, it must be said - high skill labor not so much) it gets a union.

I haven't heard of any real problems like PK describes. The unions might be too big and bogged down in red tape, and they might enjoy playing at politics instead of protecting workers a bit much, but the idea isn't wrong. Most of the problems I've had with them are law of large numbers problems where any organization falls apart, not inherent ones.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156422 on: March 29, 2021, 07:13:01 am »

Norway doesn't officially have a base minimum wage, everything's just negotiated with the unions. And, supposedly, according to some researcher who was looking into the labor climate here, the unions and corporations have managed to pretty much settle into a mutual understanding, with negotiations being within a very thin margin.

I think some of it might have to do with just the fact that union interaction is expected and as common here as it is, rather than in the US where there's still a great amount of anti-union sentiment floating about and potentially leading to polarization.

...that, and your coworkers' (and bosses') wages are not only not under a de facto gag order, they're actually more or less public record :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156423 on: March 29, 2021, 07:23:41 am »

(Unrelated to union talk, I'm sure my take would be unsurprising and redundant)

I'm usually not a stickler for this, but this particular ruin makes a big deal about having been sealed in the first era.  Several documents describing their last days under siege, kool-aid plan, etc.  More environmental storytelling than usual too.  This particular ruin was really convincing me that it was the last holdout of a bunch of crazy besieged dragon cultists (who are now obscenely powerful draugr) from, again, the first Era.  Sealed behind collapsed tunnels or a swim through a deadly poisonous well, until recently.

so how do they have fresh cabbage

also I guess I'm going out of town for the first time in months, to completely rebuild my desktop and hang out with my brother and a young cousin.  i-in person.  2 hour drive each way.  kinda anxious, self-conscious.  Just gotta power through it.  Think about the new parts the greasy fast-food breakfast and coffee, that helps.

Can't keep stalling.  I didn't make a hard promise of 10, which is great because the soonest I could possibly do now is 11 and that's if I *stopped stalling* okay bye
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156424 on: March 29, 2021, 07:38:35 am »

I'm usually not a stickler for this, but this particular ruin makes a big deal about having been sealed in the first era.  Several documents describing their last days under siege, kool-aid plan, etc.  More environmental storytelling than usual too.  This particular ruin was really convincing me that it was the last holdout of a bunch of crazy besieged dragon cultists (who are now obscenely powerful draugr) from, again, the first Era.  Sealed behind collapsed tunnels or a swim through a deadly poisonous well, until recently.

Who keeps those braziers lit anyway? Traps well oiled? Puts modern coinage into chests and urns? Renews poison on darts in dart traps?
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #156425 on: March 29, 2021, 07:54:49 am »

Skyrim I'm guessing? Yeah, I disrespect their whole container/loot system very much. It would be incredibly easy for them to set up and differentiate different treasure lists for different types of dungeons/locales/environments, Beth just doesn't want to because that would be more than the bare minimum effort spent on narrative atmosphere and whole-picture-ity.

Norway doesn't officially have a base minimum wage, everything's just negotiated with the unions. And, supposedly, according to some researcher who was looking into the labor climate here, the unions and corporations have managed to pretty much settle into a mutual understanding, with negotiations being within a very thin margin.

I think some of it might have to do with just the fact that union interaction is expected and as common here as it is, rather than in the US where there's still a great amount of anti-union sentiment floating about and potentially leading to polarization.

...that, and your coworkers' (and bosses') wages are not only not under a de facto gag order, they're actually more or less public record :P

Tis is the Nordic way.
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #156426 on: March 29, 2021, 08:17:29 am »

There’s a lot of arrow-to-the-knee fraud though.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #156427 on: March 29, 2021, 09:20:14 am »

That's just an offensive stereotype >:(
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #156428 on: March 29, 2021, 09:25:03 am »

There’s a lot of arrow-to-the-knee fraud though.
BY THE ORDER OF THE JARL
NO LOLLYGAGGING!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156429 on: March 30, 2021, 03:33:45 am »

I always thought that walking through dark crypts would be way cooler than walking through a supposedly abandoned area that's fully lit with new produce.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #156430 on: March 30, 2021, 04:03:15 am »

I always thought that walking through dark crypts would be way cooler than walking through a supposedly abandoned area that's fully lit with new produce.

Dragon's Dogma is pretty good for this. There are a lot of places where if your lantern gets doused or you run out of oil you're legitimately in trouble.

Also made it very difficult for me to play extensively as dark areas hurt my eyes, but very cool.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156431 on: March 30, 2021, 08:02:08 am »

From a survey about "gadget" dependence:
3. I am not attracted with the various features of the gadget that are efficient

Which is a tour de force of second-language English, but I've seen far worse. I've chosen to interpret it as "I do not like the features in my tech devices that are efficient". I'm sorry, what? Who's that for? The people who select "pretty" (i.e. "unreadable"), cursive-ass fonts on their phones? It's clearly translated, but even in its original language, it's saying the same thing. It may as well be saying "Do you enjoy inefficiency"? I don't get it.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156432 on: March 30, 2021, 08:06:04 am »

At my new corporate overlord: my global colleagues apparently, in 2021, still don't know how to deal with receiving an email sent to an incorrect distribution list. 30 responses (and counting) replied-to-all saying "please remove me from this list."

:'(

EDIT: Regarding translations: I'm going to guess that "efficient" is either a mistranslation of "simple" or the option is along the lines of "Energy efficiency is not high on my priority list."  What are #1 and #2 in that list with #3? The context might help.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156433 on: March 30, 2021, 08:14:18 am »

EDIT: Regarding translations: I'm going to guess that "efficient" is either a mistranslation of "simple" or the option is along the lines of "Energy efficiency is not high on my priority list."  What are #1 and #2 in that list with #3? The context might help.
Here you go.
1. I regulate my daily activities more easily with the help of gadgets
2. I attract with the various features of the gadget that are conveniences

These are 5-point questions, 1 being "strongly disagree", and 5 "strongly agree". The overall context of this section is about the role of gadgets in your life. If it's supposed to be "simple", then they really do need someone good at English to localize this stuff. The phrasing is awful.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 08:15:57 am by methylatedspirit »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156434 on: March 30, 2021, 08:30:46 am »

Given #1 and #2, I think #3 should have been "I don't really consider the productivity features of the gadget" - it seems like the questions are related to how the gadgets are used for planning / productivity features.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 10427 10428 [10429] 10430 10431 ... 11039