Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10426 10427 [10428] 10429 10430 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14553520 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156405 on: March 28, 2021, 04:36:20 pm »

kidney problem, yea. it was just a 'poke yourself with this lancet and send us blood' thing. i never did the followup on it tho >_>

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156406 on: March 28, 2021, 04:50:03 pm »

kidney problem, yea. it was just a 'poke yourself with this lancet and send us blood' thing. i never did the followup on it tho >_>

I guess that's the next thing on your list then :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156407 on: March 28, 2021, 05:03:52 pm »

T_T but also no. i can't afford to get trapped atm.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156408 on: March 28, 2021, 07:41:10 pm »

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1375226020224192516

Pigs can have a union, but they're hired to harass anyone else trying to form one.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #156409 on: March 28, 2021, 08:00:28 pm »

Unions are bad mkay.

Especially if they're the iron grippy kind.

I -down here on my modest yearly income- feel that, especially in low paying jobs, unions stranglehold the workers and keep the skilled ones from making more money.  And the old timers take the best positions and money, despite any reference to merit.

I'm a firm believer in negotiating your worth, and unions take that away.  And then when they do more to hinder my or the company's growth than help it I have no use for them
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #156410 on: March 28, 2021, 08:12:30 pm »

I mean, US is case study in how successful people are at that negotiating your worth thing when you're on your own.

Not, by the way. They're not. Remarkably shit at negotiating with people that can cheerfully tell them to fuck off and hire the scab waiting around the corner. Solidarity or shafted is your two states at the end of the day, really.

It's the good ol' "worst thing other than everything else" deal, basically.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #156411 on: March 28, 2021, 08:13:44 pm »

I dont want to make it seem as if they cant do anything good.  Just that Ive never wanted to work for them.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156412 on: March 28, 2021, 08:28:06 pm »

Unions are bad mkay.

They're good in soup.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156413 on: March 28, 2021, 11:18:01 pm »

I wanted to open a Powershell window on a certain directory, and I noticed this:

I could've jumped straight to where I wanted to go in WSL from Explorer, instead of going {cd .. , cd .., cd .., cd d, cd foo, cd bar, dir, ls...} while staring at the directory address in Explorer like a complete amateur. Dang.

I was told by my lecturer that C++ has no graphics libraries, so my project has to be text-mode. Lies to children, I tell you. Lies.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 11:37:46 pm by methylatedspirit »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156414 on: March 29, 2021, 12:03:29 am »

Of those, Qt is the most widely used today when it comes to rich GUI applications in C++ across multiple platforms.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #156415 on: March 29, 2021, 12:23:18 am »

Unions are bad mkay.

Especially if they're the iron grippy kind.

I -down here on my modest yearly income- feel that, especially in low paying jobs, unions stranglehold the workers and keep the skilled ones from making more money.  And the old timers take the best positions and money, despite any reference to merit.

I'm a firm believer in negotiating your worth, and unions take that away.  And then when they do more to hinder my or the company's growth than help it I have no use for them

That would be why pay and working conditions get way worse the weaker unions are.

No, wait. That doesn't make a bit of sense.

Unions protect workers. They insure decent pay. If you don't have one, your employer has absolutely no reason not to squeeze every drop of work they can out of you and then chuck you in the bin when you break. If you're lucky, they'll pay you enough that you starve slowly.

Anti-union is pro-slavery. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a brainwashed idiot.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156416 on: March 29, 2021, 01:08:46 am »

*lives in/near a major aircraft town. Knows all about the pros and cons of unions*

Unions are a mixed blessing that dont really have an ideal replacement.

On the pro side, they ensure safe working conditions, ensure that work is properly distributed and that assignment-creep does not occur, wages are kept livable, et al.

On the con side, they cause serious problems when they become detached from reality, and demand too much from an employer. (see also, the situation with Hostess foods.)  They also tend to become corrupt, with union bosses tapping the strike funds for petty personal reasons, et al.

These are all problems stemming from human failings, on both sides. (Typically, greed.)

Without fixing humanity somehow, there is no solution to these systemic problems.  Unions ultimately do more good than harm, as long as they do not enter the "Hostess foods" end-stage cancer form.

What typically happens, is that even *WITH* corrupt union bosses, employees end up with more livable wages than without the union at all.  Employer management tries to sell this fairytale that employees are better off without organization, and try to over-state the bad that is a corrupt union boss (which really is inevitable in the long term)-- however, if you actually investigate the situation you will find that the management are a bunch of lying whores, who just want to try and squeeze every iota of productivity out of you, then discard you before they can become liable for any kind of long-term benefit you might be able to draw from having worked for them.  At every level, corporate management is out to simply dispose of you JUST before you become a liability, and to crush every dime of productivity out of you without compensating you for it.  They are pathologically incapable of drawing the line between "Actually paying appropriate wages", and "Unprofitability", which is exactly why the Hostess foods situation occurs--- Management cries wolf *FUCKING CONSTANTLY*, so when the wolf is actually real, the union does not listen, and shit hits the fan.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 01:20:35 am by wierd »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156417 on: March 29, 2021, 01:22:24 am »

Unions protect workers. They insure decent pay. If you don't have one, your employer has absolutely no reason not to squeeze every drop of work they can out of you and then chuck you in the bin when you break. If you're lucky, they'll pay you enough that you starve slowly.

Anti-union is pro-slavery. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a brainwashed idiot.

^

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #156418 on: March 29, 2021, 01:29:09 am »

(see also, the situation with Hostess foods.)

I had multiple family members in that union, and not a single one of those issues were genuine. The unions made massive concessions in the first bankruptcy, which did nothing to stave off the second because company management was blindingly incompetent. They just claimed union troubles because there's a bunch of people that are so brainwashed that they'll believe that no matter what.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156419 on: March 29, 2021, 01:38:55 am »

The ultimate situation was that Hostess suffered a double bankruptcy, and employees lost all benefits when new management liquidated everything to attain solvency.

That is bad for everyone.

Pointing fingers is inappropriate.  A union cannot extract blood from a stone;  When the corporate leadership is just worthless, no amount of union power is going to save the company.

In no way does the statement have any detraction from what I stated:

Employer management tries to sell this fairytale that employees are better off without organization, and try to over-state the bad that is a corrupt union boss (which really is inevitable in the long term)-- however, if you actually investigate the situation you will find that the management are a bunch of lying whores, who just want to try and squeeze every iota of productivity out of you, then discard you before they can become liable for any kind of long-term benefit you might be able to draw from having worked for them.  At every level, corporate management is out to simply dispose of you JUST before you become a liability, and to crush every dime of productivity out of you without compensating you for it.  They are pathologically incapable of drawing the line between "Actually paying appropriate wages", and "Unprofitability",

EG, incompetence by corporate leadership is systemic, and happens in EVERY organization, which is exactly why there are situations like this-- If the union actually listened to corporate, the union would be useless-- they would be getting hung out to dry by the charlatans in corporate.  However, when the charlatanism in corporate is so bad that the business actually becomes unprofitable, the conception of cutbacks to keep the jobs and unions going (especially after just taking some form of austerity already) is untenable, and so the bottom inevitably falls out.  (This is because the corporate leadership will not do austerity for itself, and demands the union absorb all the austerity-- and the union, having already accepted some austerity, insists it wont accept any more.  The reality of being unprofitable still remains.)

The result is that people lose their jobs, and the union has no basis any longer-- People no longer have representation, and the new leadership is exploitative.

What REALLY needs to be added, is that in addition to unions, there needs to be government regulation to intervene in cases where there is such systemic mismanagement.  Of course, the "FREEEEEE MMMAAARRRKET!!!" zealots would shit out curdled blood clots at that notion.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 01:53:13 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 10426 10427 [10428] 10429 10430 ... 11039