Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10390 10391 [10392] 10393 10394 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14556146 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155865 on: February 21, 2021, 06:39:27 am »

That you are usin
Basically just to see how people would respond to a good act done for very wrong reasons.
I do not know how most people would react, but I can see how not wanting to see homeless people would lead one to set up housing for them. However, I do not like that this friend would be lying about it. He would have actually have done it to test public reaction about it.

And "I wanted to see how public would react to me giving a wrong reason for it" is an even worse reason.
Why, what's wrong about it?
Well, it would essentially be admitting to doing it as a publicity stunt (since it relies on him being interviewed about it), without any reason that has to do with what he did. I consider a selfish but personal reason for helping others better than helping as a publicity stunt.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155866 on: February 21, 2021, 06:47:57 am »

Well, it would essentially be admitting to doing it as a publicity stunt (since it relies on him being interviewed about it), without any reason that has to do with what he did. I consider a selfish but personal reason for helping others better than helping as a publicity stunt.
Surely "for publicity" is a selfish but personal reason to do something? I suppose you may be defining "personal" more narrowly than I would, but I still don't see a difference.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155867 on: February 21, 2021, 07:31:23 am »

Nah nah, it wasn't about it being a publicity stunt, it was about him not wanting to have to look at poor people, so he got rid of them. Out of sight, out of mind.

Because poors are disgusting.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155868 on: February 21, 2021, 07:39:02 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:45:41 pm by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155869 on: February 21, 2021, 07:54:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155870 on: February 21, 2021, 08:07:05 am »

Well you should've thought about that before being caught in a national economic collapse! Don't blame me for your lack of precognitive ability!

Tsk, the entitlement of some people, I swear...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155871 on: February 21, 2021, 04:16:00 pm »

VR Headset decided it no longer wants to work. Apparently an issue with the display port. Could possibly be an issue with the USB port or power supply, but I still get audio through it. Can't go through the setup process, because it gets stuck on the sensor check, and there's no option to reinstall the drivers.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155872 on: February 21, 2021, 04:30:00 pm »

Which model is it? If it's the Valve Index, then it's likely that the junction where the headset and cable connect may have broke. It's a frequent problem with that model, but from what I understand, VR headsets in general have durability issues.

You should consider using your warranty. A hardware problem can't be fixed with software tweaks.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155873 on: February 21, 2021, 04:35:02 pm »

Rift S. And it's apparently some issue with the sensors. Running SteamVR actually does shot a loading screen on the headset, so it's not a problem with the display. Controllers aren't being paired up with it correctly either. Oddly, the Oculus device manager shows them as active(along with battery charge) with the headset, but both the Oculus software and SteamVR is showing them as not paired.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #155874 on: February 21, 2021, 05:25:03 pm »

Contact Oculus. You might be able to get a repair even though they're killing the Rift line in favor of the Quest.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155875 on: February 21, 2021, 05:35:52 pm »

Frankly, I'm planning replacing it anyway, probably with some of my tax refund. Before long, it's going to require a Facebook account to even use it, which I refuse to do. Plus, I wouldn't put it past Facebook to not only drop support, but shotgun it as well to keep people from using their Rifts anyways.

Any recommendation on a different VR brand?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #155876 on: February 21, 2021, 06:29:13 pm »

I have an HTC Vive. I like it, even if the setup's a little time-consuming if you're not used to it. I have started setting it as standing VR and placing mats down to be my chaperone rather than having to manually set the border every time I need to move the base stations.

I heard that Valve Index really isn't worth the money just so you can move some fingers.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #155877 on: February 21, 2021, 06:33:43 pm »

The Quest 2 is superb - works extremely well with the wired link and the hacked-in wireless, needs no external cameras - but if you're hardline against Facebook it is a non-starter.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155878 on: February 21, 2021, 06:43:26 pm »

HTC Vive is the classic alternative. Valve Index is the one you want if you want to play half-life Alyx, but it suffers from the previously mentioned durability issues. You'll be lucky if that thing can survive an entire year.

There are more alternatives than just those two, though I don't know much about them. From what I do know though, it seems like there isn't a "best" headset yet. One that has top-of-the-line resolution, FOV, motion tracking precision, audio quality, and of course durability. You're gonna have to pick and choose which of these features are the most important to you and be prepared to make sacrifices in the other areas unfortunately.

Most headsets that you can buy today are better than the rift though. Technology has advanced somewhat at least, so you may not care too-much about min-maxing and buying the best headset. You may not even notice the tradeoffs you're making if you're only comparing it to the Rift.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 07:16:13 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #155879 on: February 21, 2021, 06:47:29 pm »

HTC Vive is the classic alternative. Valve Index is the one you want if you want to play half-life Alyx, but it suffers from the previously mentioned durability issues. You'll be lucky if that thing can survive an entire year.

Alyx will work fine with any headset. I've been playing it on a Quest 2 with no difficulties.
Pages: 1 ... 10390 10391 [10392] 10393 10394 ... 11039