Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10391 10392 [10393] 10394 10395 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14555559 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155880 on: February 21, 2021, 06:50:21 pm »

Really? That's good to hear. Does it work with any headset right out of the box or do you have to install a mod just like you have to do for Occulus exclusive games?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #155881 on: February 21, 2021, 07:13:26 pm »

Alyx is available on Steam. It runs like any other SteamVR game. Connect your headset, run SteamVR, run game.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155882 on: February 21, 2021, 07:29:09 pm »

SteamVR games run on any headset. only oculus locks things down

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #155883 on: February 21, 2021, 09:43:50 pm »

Half Life Alyx is plenty playable with HTC Vive. Boneworks on the other hand kind of sucks with default bindings if you don't use the Valve Index, but there are bindings for Vive wands that make the game playable.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #155884 on: February 22, 2021, 02:34:06 am »

What's the issue there? Boneworks was fine with the Rift controllers.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #155885 on: February 22, 2021, 05:28:41 am »

With the default keybinds, the Vive wands' triggers only make you hold things with your index finger and thumb, making the grip unstable ingame. You have to press both the trigger and the side grip button to make a full grip, which on the Vive wand is very taxing, because the side grip is intended to be only pressed briefly and not sustained. You'd have to get a custom binding that changes the grip to toggle for it to not be as painful.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155886 on: February 22, 2021, 09:44:53 am »

I realized that H.264 is also called "AVC (Advanced Video Coding)" and "MPEG-4 Part 10" ("Part 10" is important, else you're just talking about the base MPEG-4 standard). All I can think of is the '3 Spidermen all pointing at each other' meme. The legacy continues, as H.265 is called "HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding)" and "MPEG-H Part 2". The next generation from that, H.266, is called "VVC (Versatile Video Coding)", "ISO/IEC 23090-3", "MPEG-I Part 3", and "FVC (Future Video Coding)", a whopping 5 names.

Not quite as "good" as "Superspeed USB 10 Gbps/USB 3.2 Gen 2x1/USB 3.1 Gen 2/USB 3.1" (I swear they all refer to the same thing; blame USB-IF), since they're all technically in use (older documentation may still use "USB 3.1", for instance), but it's close.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:55:57 am by methylatedspirit »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #155887 on: February 22, 2021, 01:22:51 pm »

With the default keybinds, the Vive wands' triggers only make you hold things with your index finger and thumb, making the grip unstable ingame. You have to press both the trigger and the side grip button to make a full grip, which on the Vive wand is very taxing, because the side grip is intended to be only pressed briefly and not sustained. You'd have to get a custom binding that changes the grip to toggle for it to not be as painful.

If half the grip is painful, that does sound like a really bad experiece.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155888 on: February 22, 2021, 08:40:37 pm »

I just heard some dipshoot revving their motorcycle up the street from me.  But I listened carefully - it was roughly the same tone the whole way.  A low rumbling tone, keeping to the same sound - And then it disappeared with a sudden cutoff.

I guess it's the hill.  Still, though - that's a full kilometer and change away.  It's amazing what what can hear.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155889 on: February 22, 2021, 08:56:12 pm »

Sorry, we're still working on implementing a system where sounds fade away as they get further away from you. The sudden cutoff was because the motorcycle left your reality bubble and despawned.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155890 on: February 22, 2021, 10:28:48 pm »

Woah this thread goes by fast. It's been less than a week.

You know I've been thinking about various ways to organize my thoughts on my most recent topic and discern what I'm trying to say, and I kept coming up with things that fall apart under examination, in order to put them down here but unusually they were hard to collect so what I ended up with is just that I'm lonely. Longing for emotional intimacy in particular which I'm not sure I've ever had to a significant degree in my life. And I'm not sure what's the best way to change that.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155891 on: February 22, 2021, 10:36:06 pm »

I genuinely think even before the pandemic people were willingly getting more and more walled off from each other.  Part of it's the glory of teaching an entire generation stranger danger, part of it's tucking away the seeds of relationships to social media and dating sites, that just want your outrage and your money respectively.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155892 on: February 22, 2021, 11:51:40 pm »

I genuinely think even before the pandemic people were willingly getting more and more walled off from each other.  Part of it's the glory of teaching an entire generation stranger danger, part of it's tucking away the seeds of relationships to social media and dating sites, that just want your outrage and your money respectively.

I think that's true, myself.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #155893 on: February 23, 2021, 01:53:55 am »

I feel like the isolation may also come from the dissolution of traditional connections like family and neighborhoods, which I'm fine with because it result in too much moral and political compromises sometimes. Friends FTW.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #155894 on: February 23, 2021, 07:59:00 am »

Divide and conquer
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10391 10392 [10393] 10394 10395 ... 11039