Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10367 10368 [10369] 10370 10371 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14554727 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155520 on: January 30, 2021, 11:31:25 am »

Yea, I took a shower, grounded myself. Much less anxiety now. Sorry if I seemed hostile at all. Was just detailing stuff. And events, I understand that it's..unbelievable, because, well, ethically I can't believe it either. Anyway, if I should, and I feel it's necessary, I may make a life advice post related to this so this can..stop mucking up the WTF thread.

but it definitely did make me go  ??? WTF these past two days trying to connect all the dots. I guess I have my genetic lineage to thank for the memory(I am on the autistic spectrum, high functioning)
Anyway you all have a wonderful, wonderful day. I'm going to de-stress for today so I can remain calm and collected going forward. Thanks for the empathy, everyone-including chairman poo. He had good intentions and is empathetic. I understand his doubt, because I've heard it many times before. I just..dunno, I'll make a life advice thread to continue this if needed.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155521 on: January 30, 2021, 11:37:51 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:32:19 pm by dragdeler »
let

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155522 on: January 30, 2021, 06:02:10 pm »

(Welp, may as well do this myself)

To my understanding, it is offensive to refer to trans people by their birth genders. This birth gender is usually the same as their sex. By basing sexuality on sex, rather than gender, you are by implication referring to their birth genders (most of the time; sex has its edge cases) instead of their current gender, so that is the part that would be dangerous.

Of course, basing sexuality on sex has its merits for enbies, (since their genders can vary even more wildly) but some of them don't like their birth genders that much. I'm somewhat in that camp. That's why I prefer the absolute terms of androphilia, gynephilia and ambiphilia for myself because they make no reference to gender, nor sex. They just are.

There's edge cases if you try defining it by gender, and a different set of edge cases defining it by sex. It can become nonsense for enbies defining it by gender, and it's offensive for binary trans people defining it by sex. Neither of these cases are perfect, but at least defining it by gender is better than the alternative. Personally, I'd follow specifically what a person says about their own sexuality, because labels should come from the person themselves, not you as a third-party.

I suppose you could change sexes, but last I checked, that's not fully realizable yet. A trans woman who undergoes a sex change operation isn't capable of pregnancy, I think, but my knowledge on this isn't very good. The important thing is that it helps the gender dysphoria that these people often face, but it isn't necessary to have a sex change (hormones, surgery, or others) to be trans. Some places don't let you have them, and the places that do often incur a massive cost in waiting time, money, or both.

Hell, the notion of a "biological" sex isn't even simple. Your chromosomes could be XX or XY, your hormones could be pointing in male, female, or nonbinary, your body could be male, female, or NB (because the cells sometimes don't listen properly to the hormones), your genitals could be male, female, or both, and your mind could also be male, female or NB. Cycle through the possibilities, and you'll notice that it's all edge cases upon edge cases the closer you look. I'm not even listing every possibility. Nothing is simple in this world.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155523 on: January 30, 2021, 06:10:08 pm »

Geez, imagine how much improvement for world lgbt+ rights there could be if all the energy spent on bickering about semantics went into fighting for their rights instead /s

I mean, Aisha who used to be Mohammed doesn't give two wooden nickles whether you call him her or trans or gay, he/she just wants not to be hanged or stoned to death.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 06:13:12 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #155524 on: January 30, 2021, 06:10:42 pm »

This doesn’t need to be an argument made publicly, nor does it need to be an argument made in an emotion thread.

There was a gender thread, but it was locked, and I’m not sure how Toady feels about a new one.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155525 on: January 30, 2021, 06:31:39 pm »

A man who's only into women is straight, trans or not.

I'm a lesbian. I'm primarily into women. Some of those are trans, some aren't, but it's just as gay either way.

Anybody who thinks it's okay to mis-gender trans people can fuck right off.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 06:33:34 pm by Rose »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155526 on: January 30, 2021, 06:40:45 pm »

If the cat adopted meth you mean.

Right. As we know, cats are unique among all other creatures in that they cannot be assigned as pets; instead, cats choose dwarves as owners. Cats will only choose dwarves who have preference for them.

Sure. I can't say they're particularly flattering, though. It was either this or the cupboard, and the cupboard would've been worse.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I love this cat.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155527 on: January 30, 2021, 06:55:25 pm »

Yes, cats.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155528 on: January 30, 2021, 06:58:27 pm »

If the cat adopted meth you mean.

Right. As we know, cats are unique among all other creatures in that they cannot be assigned as pets; instead, cats choose dwarves as owners. Cats will only choose dwarves who have preference for them.

Of course, this makes cats kinda useless strategically in DF. Like, they're emotional support, just like other pets, but it's randomized emotional support. They basically latch on to dwarves at random and they make the dwarves feel bad when they inevitably die. And in that way, they're like pet headcrabs.

Actually, scratch the "in DF" part. I think this happens in real life too.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #155529 on: January 30, 2021, 07:01:45 pm »

Oh, I didn't notice catpics were posted. Super cute cats, meth!
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155530 on: January 30, 2021, 07:32:56 pm »

Hey, I wanna add something. Regardless of what is going on with material reality, your emotional reality is your emotional reality.

I agree that this situation sounds like you're experiencing a paranoid delusion right now, and a very scary one. That doesn't mean anything bad about you or your worth as a person. Please take good care of yourself right now and check in with your friends and family for support. That's not a metaphor for something else, I just think that it could be nice if you could have some soup and a lie-down while you're dealing with this.

If you are experiencing a delusion, then it will help you calm down. If you aren't experiencing a delusion, then you need to be extra-gentle with yourself after that traumatic experience, don't you think?

I'm also gonna say that it's difficult when people believe things that aren't true (or don't believe things that are true), but that's a normal part of life. I don't know if you need this validation, but regardless of what turns out to be materially true, it's a very human experience to not be fully sure what's going on. Thank you for sharing your life with us.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155531 on: January 30, 2021, 07:47:24 pm »

also, yes, those are excellent cat + kitten, we expect regular updates
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155532 on: January 30, 2021, 07:54:12 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:31:49 pm by dragdeler »
let

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155533 on: January 30, 2021, 08:04:39 pm »

Petition to change this to cat thread.

Spoiler: look, a kitty (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #155534 on: January 31, 2021, 10:38:53 am »

gud cat mlem
Pages: 1 ... 10367 10368 [10369] 10370 10371 ... 11039