Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10369 10370 [10371] 10372 10373 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14553459 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155550 on: February 01, 2021, 11:49:08 am »

I have an actual WTF.

I was adding a bell to our doorbell system. There were 2 already, I was adding a third. Of the original 2, 1 is an electromagnetic bell, the other plays a melody.

Now, I was doing this with the bell system active, as the voltage in it is miniscule and can't pierce skin. What surprised me though was, that at several poits, the one that plays melody went off. It coincided with when the wires were shorted (such as when I was shortening them, and my knife was touching both of them).

But since my knife is not a power source, I do not think this should have done anything. Based on my knowledge of how electromagnetic bells work, even with the wires shorted, there should have been no closed circuit without someone pressing the bell button on the door. The electromagnetic bell was not triggered randomly anyway and I did check that it still worked when the button was actually pressed. I checked the door as well and there was nobody there.

There is no conceivable way that the solenoid array used to strike the bells, is powered by the signal line used to initiate the process.

More than likely, you have a biased 1 bit transistor latch, wired to the button, which then drives an output value, that triggers an externally powered solenoid and capacitor array.  (and since it plays music, likely behind at the very least, a simple counter and TTL array, so that the plungers fire in the correct sequence.)

simply shorting the bit on the externally powered 1 bit memory cell, would be sufficient to drive voltage high to voltage low, and thus toggle the circuit's state.

Note that signal in, is just a status of "on" and "off".  Direct short is "off".  The rest of the circuit is externally powered. (see the other VCC lines.)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155551 on: February 01, 2021, 03:01:07 pm »

I actually took the old bell apart at some point, to remove rust, and it is powered by the signal.
This is the layout of the old bell.

The signal is also what powers it. I do not know which side is positive and which negative, I just made sure I plugged it in back the way it was before. It would also work on AC though, if it is plugged to the grid and stepped down somehow.

When you press the button, the coil attracts the magnet, which pulls on the hammer and bends it away from the bell, breaking the circuit. This stops the coil from working, the hammer quickly straightens, striking the bell and competing the circuit. If the button at the door is still held, the cycle repeats.

I did not get a look at the circuit board in the one that plays a tune, but I do know it has 2 AA batteries.

Edit: All the bells are plugged paralel to each other.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155552 on: February 01, 2021, 03:04:44 pm »

Yeah old bells that ring a bell a bunch of times tend to have electromechanical components. The signal from the doorbell starts a cycle where an electromagnet switches on and off which cycles a solenoid hitting the bell a bunch of times.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155553 on: February 01, 2021, 03:30:21 pm »

While taking a shower, I realised several things.

First, weird may have been talking about the the electronic tune “bell“. It has a speaker, not real bells though, which confused me.

Second, the signal has to be a stepped down grid power. Not sure if it is rectified though.
If it is, then weird's explanation still holds. Capacitor slowly charges, discharges on shorting, causing the device to activate.
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #155554 on: February 01, 2021, 05:56:28 pm »

Libido, please stop the train. I would like to disembark.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #155555 on: February 01, 2021, 07:22:49 pm »

Chooo Choo, hown would you like to ruin a relationship with sexual in-your-end-o?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155556 on: February 01, 2021, 09:58:24 pm »

So many great options to choose from!
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155557 on: February 01, 2021, 10:15:37 pm »

So apparently in 1579 the town of Appenzell, Switzerland, nearly entered an armed conflict with their neighbouring rival* St Gallen after a printer in St Gallen printed a number of calenders for Appenzell with an incorrect coat of arms.

The specific error was that the bear on the Appenzell coat of arms was not pizzled. Pizzled being the heraldic way of saying 'with a penis as part of the design.'**

So this town almost decided to attack their neighbour, because some dude in that city forgot to put a dick on the bear in their calender.

*Religious and political differences as I understand it, though economically tied.

**I couldn't find anything about why the penis is included sometimes, but apparently people thought sticking red rockets on bears and lions was a good part of proper crest design.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155558 on: February 01, 2021, 10:35:23 pm »

It doesn't take much to imagine. The pizzle is symbolic of the animal's manhood, and since it's the crest of the town, symbolic of all their manhood too.

I can see, in those times, that being the basis for someone's war.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 11:05:53 pm by nenjin »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155559 on: February 01, 2021, 10:56:28 pm »

for rizzle, it needs the pizzle to be the right schizzle

or else my face shall drizzle.

-----

Today involved me subbing a video about the four US planes involved in a 1924 first voyage around the world.  I have to google the names of those involved, y'know to spell the names right.

The first plane, the Seattle, crashed somewhere in Alaska in basically the first leg of the trip.  In googling the co-pilots name (Alva Harvey), I learned not only did he somehow survive the crash after some 10 days in Alaskan wherever, but lived on test pilot and develop WWII planes and beyond, including the Flying Fortress.  He passed of basically old age maybe 20 years ago.

Guy was apparently a badass, and wasn't even entirely credited as a world flyer.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155560 on: February 01, 2021, 11:17:43 pm »

pizzle drizzle is like the last thing you want on your face, true

on the other hand i'm pretty sure the pizzle being missing is how you avoid that, not by having it around, so
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155561 on: February 02, 2021, 03:53:00 am »

but who was phone?
That's the age old question isn't it, we may never know the answer but we all stop periodically and ask ourselves that all important question, who was phone.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155562 on: February 02, 2021, 04:53:12 am »

but who was phone?
Her mom, who was stalking the guy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155563 on: February 02, 2021, 08:08:32 am »

Walk by tv on infomercials. Dude shilling some kind of beauty product.

Says lots of fancy, roundabout words, then says more clearly: "It takes off the top layer of your skin."

And I'm just, like. What?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155564 on: February 02, 2021, 08:17:00 am »

I just realized that Paulstretch changes the length of audio at a Stretch Factor of 1 (which is supposed to be "don't change the length"). I know this, because I was fucking around in FFmpeg trying to databend raw YUV images, and it kept complaining that the buffer length isn't right, and it's corrupt and stuff. How you can tell that an uncompressed, un-checksummed file is corrupt, I don't know.
Pages: 1 ... 10369 10370 [10371] 10372 10373 ... 11039