Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10131 10132 [10133] 10134 10135 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14549945 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #151980 on: June 20, 2020, 09:48:36 am »

A free maket with good antimonopoly laws and good and sensible social spending, specially on the best education that can be provided and fairly paid public workers is the better way I think. Of course theres more to it but I dont have the patience or battery to fully unwind myself rigth now, and guess what, theres not power rigth now thanks to our glorious commrades.
Like fuck yeah let's just enforce antitrust laws, I can't believe no politician with this mandate has yet to survive their own political party selection process

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #151981 on: June 20, 2020, 10:27:24 am »

Sure, taking up the flag of communism has killed millions of people by hunger, forced dissapearances, work-to-death camps and death squads, its still happening today, both in a organized or not fashion, yet many people still love the idea.

Capitaiism is not the golden chalice but is a million times better.

A free maket with good antimonopoly laws and good and sensible social spending, specially on the best education that can be provided and fairly paid public workers is the better way I think. Of course theres more to it but I dont have the patience or battery to fully unwind myself rigth now, and guess what, theres not power rigth now thanks to our glorious commrades.
Don't forget how communism destroys cultures. In my country, for example, they outlawed surnames.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #151982 on: June 20, 2020, 10:58:59 am »

Side question: Do Mongolian surname go before or after the personal name?
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #151983 on: June 20, 2020, 11:12:34 am »

A quick search suggests that at least nowadays they follow Russian naming customs. Another quick search suggests Mongol Empire folks did name-surname too

Edit:
Nope. I was wrong
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_name#Name_order

Mongolians use the Eastern naming order (patronymic followed by given name), which is also used there when rendering the names of other East Asians and Hungarians. Russian and other Western names, however, are still written in Western order.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151984 on: June 20, 2020, 11:15:17 am »

Don't forget how communism destroys cultures. In my country, for example, they outlawed surnames.

That's not so much a thing of "communism" as it is a thing with totalitarianism though.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151985 on: June 20, 2020, 11:26:14 am »

Mongolians use the Eastern naming order (patronymic followed by given name), which is also used there when rendering the names of other East Asians and Hungarians. Russian and other Western names, however, are still written in Western order.
This is correct.

That's not so much a thing of "communism" as it is a thing with totalitarianism though.
But communism always leads to totalitarianism.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #151986 on: June 20, 2020, 11:43:57 am »

This is correct.

Only a sith deals in absolutes. I'll fulfill my duty
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151987 on: June 20, 2020, 11:48:48 am »

Can you please provide an example of a countrywide communist regime that didn't either fall to invasion by a neighboring power, collapse, or succumb to totalitarianism?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151988 on: June 20, 2020, 11:49:07 am »

This is correct.

Totalitarianism leads to Power.
Power leads to Suffering.
And that is the path to the dark side.
I think we skipped some steps though.

Only a sith deals in absolutes.
How Yoda proves himself to be sith. The statement itself is an absolute, similarly to "Do, or do not. There is no try."
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #151989 on: June 20, 2020, 11:56:32 am »

This is correct.

Totalitarianism leads to Power.
Power leads to Suffering.
And that is the path to the dark side.
I think we skipped some steps though.

Only a sith deals in absolutes.
How Yoda proves himself to be sith. The statement itself is an absolute, similarly to "Do, or do not. There is no try."
Tbh I've always thought that Palpatine was not far off when he said jedi amd sith were nearly identical in ROTS. I mean they *were* a pretorian guard willing to try to pull off a coup de etat.later on they try to hoodwink Luke into murdering his own father. They were both turds, the only thing that really changes is who wins when.

Tbh there are historical examples of big rivalries between nearly identical organizations precisely because of the similarities: they compete for the same niche

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151990 on: June 20, 2020, 12:10:16 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:50:21 am by dragdeler »
let

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #151991 on: June 20, 2020, 12:13:45 pm »

Can you please provide an example of a countrywide communist regime that didn't either fall to invasion by a neighboring power, collapse, or succumb to totalitarianism?

Can you please provide an example of a(n) [SYSTEM_OF_GOVERNMENT] regime that didn't either fall to invasion by a neighboring power, collapse, or succumb to totalitarianism?

Far as I know, the Eternal Empire has not yet been founded.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #151992 on: June 20, 2020, 12:14:39 pm »

Can you please provide an example of a(n) [SYSTEM_OF_GOVERNMENT] regime that didn't either fall to invasion by a neighboring power, collapse, or succumb to totalitarianism?

Far as I know, the Eternal Empire has not yet been founded.
laughs_in_sedavacantism

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #151993 on: June 20, 2020, 12:18:51 pm »

That's a strange way of spelling Belgian
Love, scriver~

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151994 on: June 20, 2020, 12:21:11 pm »

I think I worded it poorly, English is not my first language. I meant "quickly invaded", which is what Catalonia would fall under. I think Catalonia is country-level enough, I added that to exclude small communes. At the scale of communes, communism is at least somewhat sustainable. Any larger and it's a mess.
Pages: 1 ... 10131 10132 [10133] 10134 10135 ... 11038